• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing buying a stock that has been bedded

predatornut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2009
North Dakota
I found a stock for sale that has been bedded with devcon for a decent price. Should I be scared? I have never attempted to remove/redo a bedding job and don't want to get into something over my head. I have bedded a couple of rifles with satisfactory (for me) results. I would think I could just use dremel to grind any areas down that need it a nd skim bed, right? The stock has an aluminum bedding block. Any help appreciated.

Re: buying a stock that has been bedded

Removing past bedding is quite simple, take your time and anything removed will be replaced with the next job.

Crank up the dremel! You'll be fine. I'll be hogging one out and redoing it next week.

Thanks for the reassurance. I didn't want to makei the deal and wind up with a big headache.

Depends on what stock you are getting as opposed to how much work you need to do. If its a killer deal you will never see again, then sure, its worht the extra effort. If its a few bucks less than a dealer and you need to go out and buy stuff to remove the bedding, spending an hour or two cleaning it up, just to go and bed it to yours, I cant see justifying the work. Unless you just like to fiddle and do stuff like that.

You don't even have to go too crazy with the dremel. Just sand out a little under the action and behind the recoil lug. Make sure you have clearance every where else (front and sides of lug, barrel) and that there is no binding where you have sanded. Then skim bed with Marine-Tex. The Marine-Tex will bond great to the devcon and has very little shrinkage (less than the devcon) and is nice and strong and tough even in a thin layer.