• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Buying a Thermal-AGM???

Tiger83

Proud Father
Minuteman
May 25, 2017
South Alabama
I have a few questions because I’ve never owned a thermal before. First, I’m looking to spend $2-4k on a scope. Would like to keep it in the 3k range if possible. I like the idea of the rangefinder on the AGM Varmint 50-384. But I could buy a 35-640 Rattler without the rangefinder for not much more. Is the rangefinder more useful in the thermal world or the 640 resolution? Also, is the 35 or 50 more useful? And why? I will mostly be hunting 300yds and in, but really value long range capability, as I have some long range spots and also just like to check things out at distance. Another requirement is to be able to remove and re-mount easily and maintain zero because one of the main uses would be as a handheld to show my 6 year old the different creatures at nighttime. I have also considered Bering optics. I am open minded, but want the best optic in this price range. Also, I need recommendations about reputable places to buy whatever is recommended and at decent prices. Please help and thank you in advance for your consideration.

Reactions: tnc
“Best” is subjective in that price range, which is full of “okay” choices. I would not generally trust the built-in LRF on any of the ones under $5-6k and even the more expensive ones are known to not be the most reliable. So IMO the larger sensor is much more important than the rangefinder, especially if you want the ability to use it at longer distances. The 50mm lens will shrink the FOV but deliver better long range performance as well. I will warn you that none of them are going to perform like a day optic at range, so don’t plan on using it as a monocular to ID deer at 900 yards.

Reactions: Tiger83
“Best” is subjective in that price range, which is full of “okay” choices. I would not generally trust the built-in LRF on any of the ones under $5-6k and even the more expensive ones are known to not be the most reliable. So IMO the larger sensor is much more important than the rangefinder, especially if you want the ability to use it at longer distances. The 50mm lens will shrink the FOV but deliver better long range performance as well. I will warn you that none of them are going to perform like a day optic at range, so don’t plan on using it as a monocular to ID deer at 900 yards.
Any recommendations for a good, solid optic in my price range?

Steiner S35/C35 are solid. Any Yoter/Bering. Check iRayUSA.

Expert voice still has Steiner S35s listed as of now. Can’t beat the price if your eligible there

Reactions: TheHorta
I have sent you a message with some contact information. One of my roles with Night Goggles is testing and recommending thermal products for Night Goggles to carry. Due to this, I get a lot of experience with many different thermals. I included my cell number in the message.