• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Buying Advice: Lightweight AR 15 all-around Scope

Godofallu

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2018
Ok so I have a new AR 15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel with a Bartlein barrel that I will primarily use for bench rest with the occasional hunting/speed shooting mixed in. But primarily supported shooting for accuracy and groups.

My hunting needs are almost always close range and I have always gotten the job done on 3x.

When I shoot precision my style is always the more magnification the better. Hence clear 15X minimum for maximum magnification.

I am looking for a scope with something like 3-15 or so. Variable with a 2-3.5 or so on the low end maximum. I would say 15 on the high end minimum. Forgiving eyebox and lightweight. Probably 26 ounces max or so. Reticle must have a very fine central aiming point. Generally my preferred is a floating dot. I don't really care if ti is FFP or SFP. But MOA is required.

Budget is probably 2K or so but would prefer around the $1400 range max unless i'm getting a lot more.

I have not shopped for a scope in years so no clue what the current market looks like. If anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it.

the leupold mark5hd in 3.6-18x44 is going to be one of the shortest lightest options in that class, can come with a pr-1moa reticle with a floating dot, and you can get a military discount if you served, but there are lots of options out there now for about the same price.

Reactions: SepticDeath
I would second what theLBC mentions above, this is probably going to be your best best for what you're asking for. If you want to go a bit cheaper the Vortex PST II 3-15x44 is really nice for the price, but is 2oz heavier than the Leuppy

For a 6.5 grendel i would look at the nightforce 2.5-10 options. Or even those razor gen 3 1-10. 6.5. Grendel is a beast at 800 and in. I wouldn’t want a massive objective lens on my rifle that is used at those distances. I think vortex makes a 2-10 that would be sweet on there too.

I run T5xi 3-15x50 on my 17.5" Grendel, had LRHS 3-12 and may swap it for LRTS 4.5-18. I think the LRHS 3-12 is a best compromise between size, weight and magnification on a hunting/crossover duty rifle

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
I've wanted to try the PST gen2 2-10 from vortex. Looks like it'd be cool on an ar15.

I also like the older Vortex HDLH 1.5-8 and 2-10 w/G4 reticle. I run the 1.5-8 on my 12' Grendel SBR and I'm waiting for 1" mount for the 2-10 that will go on 18" 6x45. They're super lightweight do pretty well in low light if you don't need to twist turrets.