• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Buying FTF in different state

jericho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
ct
Is there a legal way of buying FTF in a different state? I have seen so many deals in neighboring states and was wondering if there was a way to avoid shipping and FFL fees.

Re: Buying FTF in different state

Best to go thru a FFL and pay a few dollars instead of spending time in a federal pokey for transporting across state lines. Now I may be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am.

I would never do it unless it was legal. I am way to pretty for prison.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best to go thru a FFL and pay a few dollars instead of spending time in a federal pokey for transporting across state lines. Now I may be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. </div></div>

there is one way to legally do it. If you are a DUAL RESIDENT you can. i live in Virginia, but for years owned a place near Austin, Texas, and spent at least 4-5 months a year there. As a dual resident I could legally buy in either state, and transport them from one home to the other. Since selling my place in Tejas, that option is closed.

I chedked the regs very carefully to be sure....as well as to pretty, my sphincter is to tight for prison. Other than that you cannot.

Why, is another question. If your legally entitled to own something what friggin difference does it make where you buy it? But then what does the goveernment so thats reasonable? Now I remember...sell guns to the Mexican Cartels.

Maybe I should act as a buyer for cartel then I can buy anything anywhere. Hell maybe they will even buy it for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best to go thru a FFL and pay a few dollars instead of spending time in a federal pokey for transporting across state lines. Now I may be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. </div></div>

there is one way to legally do it. If you are a DUAL RESIDENT you can. i live in Virginia, but for years owned a place near Austin, Texas, and spent at least 4-5 months a year there. As a dual resident I could legally buy in either state, and transport them from one home to the other. Since selling my place in Tejas, that option is closed.

I chedked the regs very carefully to be sure....as well as to pretty, my sphincter is to tight for prison. Other than that you cannot.

Why, is another question. If your legally entitled to own something what friggin difference does it make where you buy it? But then what does the goveernment so thats reasonable? Now I remember...sell guns to the Mexican Cartels.</div></div>

To the very best of my knowledge, ATF doesn't recognize "dual residency" as being legitimately possible when it comes to firearms.

The closest loophole I can think of would be for military personnel with orders, who maintained residency in their original state...under those circumstances, they can theoretically buy weapons in two states simultaneously. Otherwise, it's a no-go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bondoscustomz1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best to go thru a FFL and pay a few dollars instead of spending time in a federal pokey for transporting across state lines. Now I may be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. </div></div>

Why, is another question. If your legally entitled to own something what friggin difference does it make where you buy it? But then what does the goveernment so thats reasonable? Now I remember...sell guns to the Mexican Cartels.</div></div>

To the very best of my knowledge, ATF doesn't recognize "dual residency" as being legitimately possible when it comes to firearms.

The closest loophole I can think of would be for military personnel with orders, who maintained residency in their original state...under those circumstances, they can theoretically buy weapons in two states simultaneously. Otherwise, it's a no-go. </div></div>

Its in the regs. Ive read it myself. Theres an attorney who used to post here, Scheimer, who turned me onto the info.

Here it is, but doesnt use the term "dual residency" See example 2. Ill keep looking for the rest, but EX.2 Makes it clear. Lotta friggin regulations. I believe this is somewhere in subset A 478-2, but I wouldnt swear to that....Lots of regs.

State.

A State of the United States. The
term shall include the District of Columbia,
the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and
the possessions of the United States (not
including the Canal Zone).

State of residence. The State in which
an individual resides. An individual resides
in a State if he or she is present in a State
with the intention of making a home in that
State. If an individual is on active duty as a
member of the Armed Forces, the individual's
State of residence is the State in
which his or her permanent duty station is
located. An alien who is legally in the
United States shall be considered to be a
resident of a State only if the alien is residing
in the State and has resided in the
State for a period of at least 90 days prior
to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm.
The following are examples that illustrate
this definition:

Example 1. A maintains a home in
State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting,
fishing, business, or other type of trip. A
does not become a resident of State Y by
reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and
maintains a home in State X and a home
in State Y. A resides in State X except for
weekends or the summer months of the
year and in State Y for the weekends or
the summer months of the year. <span style="font-size: 14pt"> <span style="color: #CC0000">During
the time that A actually resides in State X,
A is a resident of State X, and during the
time that A actually resides in State Y, A is
a resident of State Y. </span> </span>

Interesting...seems prone to ATF interpretation, though.

Depends on the state. Here in Washington it is legal...

RCW 9.41.122
Out-of-state purchasing.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made.

RCW 9.41.010
Terms defined.

(4) "Dealer" means a person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail who has, or is required to have, a federal firearms license under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 923(a). A person who does not have, and is not required to have, a federal firearms license under 18 U.S.C. Sec. 923(a), is not a dealer if that person makes only occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or sells all or part of his or her personal collection of firearms.

Moral of the story is to check your state laws and go from there.

While in school in Michigan I purchased a firearm even though i was still technically a Kentucky resident and paid out of state tuition. And used my KY ID.