• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying interior shutters.

Jefe's Dope

Red Forman
Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2017
    Likely going with interior wood shutters. Need advice. Wife had Home Depot come out yesterday and give an estimate.

Is HD a good place to purchase from?

They won't do wood in the bathrooms due to moisture and their guarantee. Can I still go wood? We're in Colorado and it is DRY here. Moisture doesn't last long in the bathroom after a shower or bath.

Should I pay to have them installed or install myself?

Going w/ the 4" louvers. Yes or no?

Any other suggestions on where to purchase?

What did I miss?

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, my folks had them in the bathroom too.

They were wood, there was never any issue with moisture or humidity, and the house is in coastal GA. If you have a fan in the bathroom and run it during showers and don't keep the place super humid to begin with, I wouldn't think there would be an issue.

What exactly is HD's guarantee?

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    I’d go to a reputable independent shop that does installs with their own employees. Support your locally owned businesses.

I avoid Lowes Depot whenever possible. Had them install a new toilet and they screwed up and I ended up with a $70K insurance claim. No meaningful response from Depot. They sent out a couple knucklehead low bid sketchy “contractors” for the install and there was zero accountability when thing went wrong.

We used Costco when living in Nashville, the contractor was from Goodletsville and they did excellent work. It was a four-panel fold up. Installer was a professional so much so he did not like one panel because they manufacturer made a mistake with the hinge and tried to push it on the me the customer. He was vigilant to the mistake, I would of never seen it, his thing "this is not a problem now but in a few years it will fail". We went with a more natural very light transparent stain, it was a huge window with a lot of natural light always showed dust. We recently tried to order plantation shutters for our house in FL tried using Anderson Blinds but found them difficult to work with.

We bought Plantation shutters from Lowes and love them. I wouldn't install them myself as I would probably fuck them up so we had Lowes do it. They did a great job.

Got our plantation blinds through an independent shop called Design Shutters…they were able to custom paint them to match our base boards.

We also looked at Hunter Douglas via our local certified dealer, but they wouldn’t do a custom paint, and were almost twice as expensive.

Not cheap either way, but this is one area where you definitely get what you pay for. Don’t skimp on wood blinds/shutters.

edit: home from work, so a quick pic:

IMG_4856.jpeg

Last edited:
    I know nothing about interior shutters, but I can say with certainty that you DO NOT want to go through Home Depot for installation.

They pay their subs peanuts and that's exactly what they're worth. I had HD do quartz countertops in a rental. I won't bore you with details, but if I had a choice between the same installation crew and single blind retard with palsy, I'd go with the retard... even if he was plastered drunk.

HD is just as good as any other. As far as installation goes, only you can know your limitations. If you have any doubts, get the contractor to do the work. They have a warranty. I would not use wood in a bathroom, they are moisture makers and I'm sure you would regret the installation of wood shutters. Just curious, why shutters in a bathroom?

Good luck!

Had wood shutters installed by private concern in '05 thru-out ridiculously large abode to include all bathrooms; still standing tall and no issues apart from the initial expense.

Yep, we had similar. Never a problem in the bathroom.

In fact the only "problem" was in the den. Those were mounted on a track so they could fold to either side of the big panel of windows that made up a whole wall. Some dingus lost the screws that fitted the bottom of the base set on either side to the little metal loops at the bottom of the window frame, so they wobbled a bit when you tried to fold/unfold them. But that didn't matter so much 'cause we kept them unfolded for the most part, for easier light control.

My homes have plantation shutters on every window. I had a local company come out and measure each window and then hang them. Just make sure you get the ones you want as options can make a difference. These open independently from top and bottom and the vertical piece is used to open the shutter so you don't need to grab the blade. The previous owner of the other house put them in but they are plastic, no divider between top and bottom and no vertical handle. Here is quick pic of the wood ones, which I prefer. I live in a high desert area that is very dry and I have no issues with mine in the bathrooms. My only recommendation is to make sure you tint any window that is exposed to direct sun light or they will fade. These have been in for about 13 years.
    2F23E469-7424-447F-AFEB-440FCA4E4263.jpeg

I’d go to a reputable independent shop that does installs with their own employees. Support your locally owned businesses.

I avoid Lowes Depot whenever possible. Had them install a new toilet and they screwed up and I ended up with a $70K insurance claim. No meaningful response from Depot. They sent out a couple knucklehead low bid sketchy “contractors” for the install and there was zero accountability when thing went wrong.

How does one screw up installing a toilet?

I was traveling a lot for work one year and the wife wanted a storm door. I didn't have time to do it, so she ordered it from HD or Lowes and scheduled an install. It was crooked, and didn't open or close right. It took me more time to remove it, plumb/square it and then re-install it than it would have taken me to just do it from the beginning.

I will add, that when we first moved in to this house. We measured windows and ordered custom 2" wood blinds from HD and I then installed them myself. The quality of the blinds is fine.