• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying my first bow

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Hey guys looking to pick up a compound bow just to mess around with and target shoot. I have absolutely no idea what I’m looking at. I’m 6’4” and have a wingspan of 77”. I read online I need a 30.8” draw length. Most of the used bows I’ve been looking at have a max adjustment of 30” I’m looking to spend around $350-$450. I can’t seem to find anything that adjusts out to 31” in that budget. Am I better off going to a bow shop and buying a cheap new bow or continue on my search for a used 2-3 year old middle of the road bow?

not sure if this is the right spot but figured most of the guys on this sub forum have some bow experience

look up john Dudley on YouTube. NockonTV is the channel. Lots of advise there. Solid guy. His PSE bows are pretty decent and I’m pretty sure he has one at the lower price range.
He’s a tall guy too

Go to a shop, have your draw length determined, then you know what you are looking for.
My son ended up with a used Mathews Halon for his set up. I shoot a Bowtech, but with a long release to make up for it's short draw length.

Quality shop will save you buying something that does not work for you.

All the advice I've ever heard is to go to a shop, because fit is critical, features are myriad, and odds are you'll need some tuning and they'll usually do it for free if you buy from them. They also usually have huge discounts on last year's models if you pick them up after hunting season.

Reactions: stefan73
Do you work concrete; and can you bench over 275? Those are required to obtain over 300 bow kills-

sorry couldn’t resist after reading the classic thread!
As many already stated go to a bow shop to determine measurements and play with a few. I e always had good luck with PSE bows - lots of deer and pigs and few goats and bear. It could be a nostalgic thing as I worked my ass off on a cattle farm for an entire summer to buy my first compound bow- a PSE spirit, a dozen arrows and tree stand. Matthews and Hyot are also bows ive owned with no complaints. Be ready for a new addiction; every little thing matters and must be done correctly and the quest is always more speed, range and accuracy pretty soon you’ll all obsessed like those nutz over on Snipers Hide.

I was in your shoes a few years ago. I'm 6'3"-6'4"ish, bought a Diamond SB1 to start with. Really great bow, easily adjustable, very accurate. I put a Vapor Trail Pro-V rest on it, and a GWS AR-19 sight on it. Had no problem taking it out to 80 yards (sight maxed out at that range). Draw length was fine for me - you just lengthen your release a little bit. The ease of adjustment let me slowly increase my draw weight as I shot more and developed those muscles. If you have never shot archery and jump right into a 60-70lb draw weight you're more likely build bad draw habits, which can lead to poor form and muscle tears, tendonitis, etc. I started at 40lbs and after a couple months of shooting twice a week I was pulling 65-70lbs with no problems. I got a screaming deal on a "top tier" bow last year, so I ended up selling the SB1, but I would definitely buy another one if I had to. You will probably want to go to a bow shop and have them set you up though, even if you order the bow online. They will need to tie on the release loop, possibly adjust your sight, help you choose the right stiffness of arrow, etc. I am a long time rifle shooter and most of the adjustment and set up was completely foreign to me.

Last edited:
Bow shop is not going to want to fool with setting up a bow if you bought it somewhere else. Also, most shops are not going to spend much time setting up one they do sell. Best option would be to find a local bow magician and learn from him. Second best option would be to view you tube videos and learn yourself. Buy a few bow tools etc.
A local bow shoot is a great place to meet knowledgble, helpful folks.

OP, as has been said your best option is to go find an archery pro-shop and get fitted. Fit is critical and you don’t want to be starting on the wrong foot.

Many people get caught up in their favorite brand. Just find something in your budget, buy it, and get proficient for a few years before you get into the money-pit that is archery. My only recommendations for spending your cash; a good quality drop-away arrow rest, quality CF arrows (again, brand is irrelevant as long as they’re good quality), and a good wrist strap release (my preference for hunting, some like handheld releases but I’ve lost two so I gave them up).

Bow shop is not going to want to fool with setting up a bow if you bought it somewhere else. Also, most shops are not going to spend much time setting up one they do sell. Best option would be to find a local bow magician and learn from him. Second best option would be to view you tube videos and learn yourself. Buy a few bow tools etc.
If the bow shop you visit isn’t willing to spend the time fitting a new shooter, you need to find yourself another bow shop. I have two local shops, and do my business in my chosen shop for exactly this reason. Assholes who have no intent to foster interest from new shooters who’ve already done the work of approaching them with questions don’t need your business.

Reactions: TrevK
i just sold my 2013 mathews heli-m for $500 completely loaded. I picked up a hoyt rx4 ultra to replace it. I will say this. The hoyt is better, but not by MUCH! I wish i would have kept that mathews in all honesty. A used mathews heli-m or z7 would be what i was looking for in the $450 range if that was my budget. You can probably find them loaded for that price as well.

You'll want to go to shop and get your draw length for sure. Then you'll want to to shoot a lot of bows to see what you like. I have owned a ton of bows. Mathews, PSE, Bowtech, Holy, etc... all their top of the line bows and like all of them, but prefer my old Mathews because of the smooth draw and shooting.. like the speed of others, it all depends on what you're using it for too. Tree stand hunting, hiking around or just backyard target shooting. Just like guns, get what fits its intended purpose

Reactions: crackerbrown

I have two local bow shops who have been extremely helpful setting up two different bows - neither of them was purchased from there... just sayin'.....

Reactions: RTH1800
Go to a bow shop, it’s like getting fitted for a suit, you’ll spend a little more but archery is great, also there’s follow through, and there’s archery follow through.

I like the draw on hoyts, probably test fired 5 bows before I went with mine, funny because I normally go with the top tier option always, the bow that show the best for me was like 2 or 3 below the top bow

Save yourself lots of time and frustration and just go to a good bow shop (not basspro) and have them walk you through the process, and reputable shop will expect to fit the customer and have you test fire a handful of bows

Yes really helps to have a decent pro shop.

I have Elite bows, the smaller kid has a PSE mini burner, bigger kid she had a PSE Stinger X and has just been upgraded to a Elite Victory X ( target bow). I have a Elite Victory 39 #60 and Elite Remedy #70. I would recommend going with longer axle to axle bows being as big as you are. That reduces the string angle for the peep.

Most all the Elites that are up to 4-5 years old have"mods" that set the draw length in 1/2" increments and you can fine tune in that half inch. Just need to make sure if you get a used Elite that it has the standard and not short cams. I have a 30.3" draw and have 30" mods in the Victory with the fine adjust all the way out. The Remedy is setup nearly the same. I keep thinking about picking up a Rezult, but don't think I'll shoot it any better than the Victory.

Bow shop or if you have a bow tuner like the guy up in ST Joe MO. Getting a bow tuned correctly is key. Good strings, wax those strings and a good release.

I bought a used bow from a friend who is near identical sized to me. I called a shop and asked them what they charged to fit bows, it was less than $100. I got great service, bought arrows for the bow there, got fit very well with a new peep etc, and had a great time. I tipped the guy better than I’d planned too when he rang me up for less than I thought he should. I buy what I can from them, though I don’t need much these days.

Ha ha, what an addiction archery is...
I started with a $40 flea market compound & aluminum arrows. Then joined a local archery club and went to recurves, and the first crossbow. Next, fell in with a bunch of hackers & rock breakers and started building my own selfbows, cane/bamboo arrows, & stone points. Flintknapping is a real skill. Then had to learn how to tan the deer hides, which weeds are edible etc. etc.

Most of the guys I know use home made Osage Orange bows and kill deer with home made arrows & stone points. I still have my 1st compound, my recurves, and have made probably 50 selfbows and hundreds of arrows over the years.

All I can say is: you've opened a door, and behind it is a hallway full of more doors...

If you, or anyone else is even remotely interested, MoJam (3rd weekend of July/Marshall, Missouri) is a long weekend of nothing but bow building, shooting, family fun, contests, etc. Edit: Missouri Selfbow Jamboree is ON! 15-17 July 2021, Indian Foothills Park, Marshall, Missouri.

Good luck! Everybody has fun!

Last edited:
Ha ha, what an addiction archery is...
I started with a $40 flea market compound & aluminum arrows. Then joined a local archery club and went to recurves, and the first crossbow. Next, fell in with a bunch of hackers & rock breakers and started building my own selfbows, cane/bamboo arrows, & stone points. Flintknapping is a real skill. Then had to learn how to tan the deer hides, which weeds are edible etc. etc.

Most of the guys I know use home made Osage Orange bows and kill deer with home made arrows & stone points. I still have my 1st compound, my recurves, and have made probably 50 selfbows and hundreds of arrows over the years.

All I can say is: you've opened a door, and behind it is a hallway full of more doors...

If you, or anyone else is even remotely interested, MoJam (3rd weekend of July/Marshall, Missouri) is a long weekend of nothing but bow building, shooting, family fun, contests, etc. Edit: Missouri Selfbow Jamboree is ON! 15-17 July 2021, Indian Foothills Park, Marshall, Missouri.

Good luck! Everybody has fun!
I had osage all over the property I was renting when I was living in Easton Kansas. Makes me wish I had kept some branches to make some bows.

Don't worry about what the internet says about your draw length. A bow should be fitted for you. You may be longer or shorter than "recommended". You can lengthen or shorten the draw to suit your style. 30"+ draw is definitely achievable with modules, cams, twisting the strings, and/or setting your draw loop long. There's always a method that will work for whatever bow you end up with.

Reactions: stefan73