• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying my first rifle

Valyndiir

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Houston, Texas
Hello everyone, I have never owned a rifle before, but have done some research on ammunition and arms makers. I didn't see a sticky for this sort of thing so I hope I'm posting in the right place. Presently, I am interested in shooting a .308 winchester and the RRA LAR-8 is at the top of my list. I want something that will be a keeper and out-shoot most other assault rifles in terms of overall accuracy and stopping power, but also be reliable in harsh climates as well as pass a water test. I will be hunting hogs as well as a variety of other game and sharpshooting vegetable matter with my friends. Does Rock River Arms live up to what I have heard or do I need to shoot higher?

Re: Buying my first rifle

I frequently recommend the Savage Model 12 BVSS .308 in response to this question. It's a very good balance between functionalty and quality, and availability and affordability. It also responds favorably to basic/generic handloads recipes that are widely accessible here on The 'Hide.

Greg

I am really in the market for a semi-automatic at the moment. A bolt-action is, however, on my must-have list, but my family has many quality bolt-actions and I want something more combat-worthy... combat meaning running away from angry hogs... I am willing to pay in the $2-3K range for a good rifle, but you are saying a semi-auto is less-functional all round? I will also be reloading my own rounds, is this a significant issue with ARs?

The brass won't last as long out of most semi platforms, but otherwise there are no real issues that I know of. Just started reloading myself.

I have never reloaded on my own before, but we reload .223, 9mm, and .45. I would have to purchase a .308 reloading die.

Welcome to the Hide. Look around a little here, there's a ton of info on this very subject. Personally, I like the AR10's.

okie

If you are going to spend $2-3K, have a rifle built by Gap or APA.
If I were you I'd buy the following parts and send them to APA:
JD machine upper and lower
DPMS chromed bolt carrier
JP enterprises bolt
JP adj gas block
Rock Creek barrel
DPMS barrel extension
Magpul PRS stock
any good trigger
lower parts kit
etc..

I would be willing to bet the national debt ($13 trillion) that this set up will outshoot the RR. It won't cost you much more- it will just take some time.

The prob w/ buying the RR is that you will start shooting and start reading the posts here and you will end up wanting the custom rig. You might as well start there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are going to spend $2-3K, have a rifle built by Gap or APA.
If I were you I'd buy the following parts and send them to APA:
JD machine upper and lower
DPMS chromed bolt carrier
JP enterprises bolt
JP adj gas block
Rock Creek barrel
DPMS barrel extension
Magpul PRS stock
any good trigger
lower parts kit
etc..

I would be willing to bet the national debt ($13 trillion) that this set up will outshoot the RR. It won't cost you much more- it will just take some time.

</div></div>

I am assuming these are good parts? What kind of price tag are we looking at? Do you have one you want to sell?
laugh.gif

Yea, they're good parts. People on this site really like the Rock barrels. My POF has a Rock barrel and it really shoots. Plus, they are usually available. There aren't many choices for 308 bolt carriers- I think only DPMS, Armalite, and JP. The JP is light weight one and a forward assist won't engage it. The armalite only works with the armalite bolt- I think that the JP bolt looks like a better part (I have no personal experience to back this up.) There is some consensus that an adj gas block will allow one to optimize the system for the best accuracy. I have read some good things about the JD machine parts. The Iron ridge stuff looks great as well, but no forward assist. As far as I know, you have no choice on the barrel extension.

BTW- this is the setup I am building right now. You will end up south of $3k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, they're good parts. People on this site really like the Rock barrels. My POF has a Rock barrel and it really shoots. Plus, they are usually available. There aren't many choices for 308 bolt carriers- I think only DPMS, Armalite, and JP. The JP is light weight one and a forward assist won't engage it. The armalite only works with the armalite bolt- I think that the JP bolt looks like a better part (I have no personal experience to back this up.) There is some consensus that an adj gas block will allow one to optimize the system for the best accuracy. I have read some good things about the JD machine parts. The Iron ridge stuff looks great as well, but no forward assist. As far as I know, you have no choice on the barrel extension.

BTW- this is the setup I am building right now. You will end up south of $3k. </div></div>

When will you have this done?

I am taking my time- trying to spread the cost out. I've ordered some of the parts and plan on picking up a few every month.

If you get the stuff to the smith, they shouldn't take that long. I'm guessing a month or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am taking my time- trying to spread the cost out. I've ordered some of the parts and plan on picking up a few every month.

If you get the stuff to the smith, they shouldn't take that long. I'm guessing a month or two.</div></div>

So you cannot just buy the parts and put it together yourself?

As I understand it, there are a couple of tricky steps-

Drilling the hole in the barrel for the gas block, attaching the gas block, and threading the barrel for the barrel extension are all better left to the pros imo. Basically the smith is primarily doing work to the barrel. If you bought a Noveske barrel with the extension and gas block installed, you could probably do the rest of the stuff yourself.

The only semi I still own is my Garand. Have owned M1A Stainless 'Loaded', and Colt MT6700 Match Target. The only semi I covet is the DPMS LR260, and the best one I've seen in other hands is a GAP AR-10.

Greg

The only semi I still own is my Garand. Have owned M1A Stainless 'Loaded', and Colt MT6700 Match Target. The only semi I covet is the DPMS LR260, and the best one I've seen in other hands is a GAP AR-10.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understand it, there are a couple of tricky steps-

Drilling the hole in the barrel for the gas block, attaching the gas block, and threading the barrel for the barrel extension are all better left to the pros imo. Basically the smith is primarily doing work to the barrel. If you bought a Noveske barrel with the extension and gas block installed, you could probably do the rest of the stuff yourself. </div></div>.

Yep, or just buy yourself an AR10T, a box of Fed. Gold Metal Match in 168 or 175's and start drillin shit for about 1K less. Just a thought.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yep, or just buy yourself an AR10T, a box of Fed. Gold Metal Match in 168 or 175's and start drillin shit for about 1K less. Just a thought.

okie</div></div>

$1000 to drill a hole?? You can buy a decent ar15 for that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

okie</div></div>

$1000 to drill a hole?? You can buy a decent ar15 for that! </div></div>

He meant buy the AR-10T for $1000 less and shoot with it... aka "drilling" your target... Not $1000 to drill a hole haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

okie</div></div>

$1000 to drill a hole?? You can buy a decent ar15 for that! </div></div>

He means buy a ar10T with ammo and start shooting, for about $1000 less than the other mentioned setups. And a gas block is where some of the gasses are redirected back to the bolt to operate the action hence the "gas operated" system in AR's. Do a search to find detailed info.

Dam you beat me to it. It took me like 5min to type that reply, I guess thats what I get for having 8 tabs and 2 messenger conversations open at once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396chevy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dam you beat me to it. It took me like 5min to type that reply, I guess thats what I get for having 8 tabs and 2 messenger conversations open at once. </div></div>

haha yeah that'll do it, I'm so tired I couldn't even put into words how the gas block works

Ha! Thanks for tryin to simplify it for me guys, I was tryin to say it that way. Hope he gets it.
wink.gif
Really, Vallindirr, get what YOU want brother, its the only thing you'll be satisfied with.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

okie </div></div>

Yep...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ha! Thanks for tryin to simplify it for me guys, I was tryin to say it that way. Hope he gets it.
wink.gif
Really, Vallindirr, get what YOU want brother, its the only thing you'll be satisfied with.

okie</div></div>

I want a badass semi-auto capable of out-shooting 95% of the 308s out there... and possibly attract uber hot chicks.
laugh.gif
I am a terrible shot with rifles due to inexperience so I need all the help I can get. Right now I would have more luck taking down hogs with my HKP7 than I would a rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I understand it, there are a couple of tricky steps-

Drilling the hole in the barrel for the gas block, attaching the gas block, and threading the barrel for the barrel extension are all better left to the pros imo. Basically the smith is primarily doing work to the barrel. If you bought a Noveske barrel with the extension and gas block installed, you could probably do the rest of the stuff yourself. </div></div>.

okie</div></div>

Okie- where's the fun in that. I thought this site was about maximizing dollars spent, not in trying to get the most "bang" for the buck. Shit, he probably won't even spend enough on the Armilite to piss off his wife. Plus, how is penny pinching going to get our economy rolling again? He should buy the custom rig and top it with some Hensoldt glass and 1000 rds of fgmm.

Plus the stock Armilite won't attract the "uber hot chicks".
But a tricked out custom 308 semi, well, that's a different story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plus the stock Armilite won't attract the "uber hot chicks".
But a tricked out custom 308 semi, well, that's a different story.</div></div>

With a bayonet.

I've got a.n AR-10T I need to sell. If I didn't need the money I wouldn't sell it. The thing is the most accurate semi-auto I've ever seen. I've shot 1/2" groups at 100, with reloads of coarse. It loves 165gr. Accubonds with 40.5gr of Varget. It's got a collapsible stock 2 10 rounders and a 5. I hunted with it last year, put an Eotech on it in the trees and a Nikon 5-20x44 in the open. A really nice set up. If your interested send me an e-mail. [email protected] I've got all the paper it came with, about 400 down the tube.