• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying new or handloading for training

TXSTDU

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2009
Texas
I am headed to some long range training in a couple of months and I am wondering which is the more cost effective route. Buying some 168 FGMM or buying the components and build me up some of my own. I will need to bring 300 rounds with me to training.

may seem like a simple question but I am at a loss

Re: Buying new or handloading for training

I say train with what you use. Do you use handloads or factory the most?

What is you rifle zeroed for?

It is a new rifle and I have been shooting factory ammo for now but plan on switching to handloads.

I am mainly having trouble with using the factory ammo for training for simplicity and just reusing the brass or starting from scratch. Money is tight now and I am trying to get the best bang for my buck.

Zero is 100

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TXSTDU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a new rifle and I have been shooting factory ammo for now but plan on switching to handloads.

I am mainly having trouble with using the factory ammo for training for simplicity and just reusing the brass or starting from scratch. Money is tight now and I am trying to get the best bang for my buck.

Zero is 100 </div></div>

Depends on the time you have. You can handload virgin brass for the same price as factory ammo for the first use. But of course you would need to do some testing to find a suitable load.

If you have that kind of time then go for it. If not, go with factory and save the fire formed brass.

ETA: I meant what ammo was the rifle zeroed for.

I have been using some 168 FGMM but I am thinking of making some hand load of some 175 SMK. I am looking to go to 1000 yards

i'd just buy the FGMM , unless you have enough time to sit down and learn to reload, and then take the time to load 300 match grade rounds. I couldn't even say it would be cheaper , range trips plus reloading gear, shipping fees.

And I would hate to load that many rounds at once. Especially match grade ones. If you'd ask me to do it for you I'd ask for more money then the FGMM would cost. But mine would probably shoot better
grin.gif

i just reload what i need for the next trip. You know what you could do if you want to improve the FGMM , buy a caliper, ogive comparator, and scale and sort threw the FGMM .

I already reload and I have all the equipment and supplies needed to reload. I am wondering would I come out cheaper in the long run buying all virgin components or just some factories and make a custom load later.

ooooo....i'd roll with lapua brass. You have flashole deburr tool, ppu , stuff like that right ? Ogive comparator ?

Some training courses require factory others don't care.

From my experience if you are training with other shooters in a class, you will likely lose the brass as the pace of the class will usually not allow for you to be running around picking brass instead of listening and learning. You are going for training not brass picking.

Depending on the round count and whats allowed, you can go with what is cheapest if money is tight. I would definitely zero and function test what you take. The last thing the instructor (or other students) want is somebody who's equipment is not ready and they are having to stop the class to mess with it.