• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Buying scope, need to know, Mildot, Dead Hold...

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
OK guys, rookie getting ready to buy first scope. Now, I DON'T need a recommendation on a different scope, or opinion. I just need to know should I choose Mildot, Dead Hold, VPlex, etc...?

SCope I am buying is the Vortex Viper 6-20X44

Some hunting, long range shooting....

Thanks guys

Re: Buying scope, need to know, Mildot, Dead Hold...

I just bought one. My only suggestion is to match the reticle to the turrets. I chose the dead hold bdc but I will mostly use the turrets for making adjustments.

The dead hold bdc is only accurate on the highest magnification setting. Also the dead hold bdc's windage dots are 3.5 moa or 1 mil.

I really like it but have yet to shoot with it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought one. My only suggestion is to match the reticle to the turrets. I chose the dead hold bdc but I will mostly use the turrets for making adjustments.

The dead hold bdc is only accurate on the highest magnification setting. Also the dead hold bdc's windage dots are 1 mil.

I really like it but have yet to shoot with it yet. </div></div>

So, I am thinking Mildot then???? LOL!

Nope, the adjustment on the turrets are MOA.

At 20x the dots on the vertical line are 1.5moa, 4.5 moa, 7.5 moa and the top of the heavy hash is 11 moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, the adjustment on the turrets are MOA.

At 20x the dots on the vertical line are 1.5moa, 4.5 moa, 7.5 moa and the top of the heavy hash is 11 moa. </div></div>

Love being a rookie
blush.gif
LOL!!

It's probably a waste of time since you're already set on getting this scope, but it doesn't seem suitable for either hunting or long-range shooting. How much are you going to enjoy trying to get a moving animal in your sights at less than 100 yards with a 6X bottom? How much are you going to enjoy shooting out to long distances with mismatched turrets? Or with a hokey reticle that is only good at highest mag and for only one load?

There are scopes like the Vortex Viper PST 4-16X or the Super Sniper 3-9X that would work far better for 90% of the shots most of us will ever take. Having recently tested a SS 3-9X, I would put that up against any non-illuminated scope from 25-600 yards any day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's probably a waste of time since you're already set on getting this scope, but it doesn't seem suitable for either hunting or long-range shooting. How much are you going to enjoy trying to get a moving animal in your sights at less than 100 yards with a 6X bottom? How much are you going to enjoy shooting out to long distances with mismatched turrets? Or with a hokey reticle that is only good at highest mag and for only one load?

</div></div>

so do you think Nightforce NXS scopes are good scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
so do you think Nightforce NXS scopes are good scopes? </div></div>

Got 1 a couple months back, now I own 3 and I'm selling a lot of the other stuff I have to replace them with NF's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys, rookie getting ready to buy first scope. Now, I DON'T need a recommendation on a different scope, or opinion. I just need to know should I choose Mildot, Dead Hold, VPlex, etc...?

Thanks guys </div></div>

If you get matching turrets and reticle life will be easier.

To me,"right now",the most interesting scope to get for the money is the new Bushnell 4200 3-12 FFP mil/mil.

I got one coming in the mail to use until the 2010 NF FFP's come out.I hope it doesn't disapoint.

FFP Mil/mil spoils you.Although SFP's have there place.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's probably a waste of time since you're already set on getting this scope, but it doesn't seem suitable for either hunting or long-range shooting. How much are you going to enjoy trying to get a moving animal in your sights at less than 100 yards with a 6X bottom? How much are you going to enjoy shooting out to long distances with mismatched turrets? Or with a hokey reticle that is only good at highest mag and for only one load?

There are scopes like the Vortex Viper PST 4-16X or the Super Sniper 3-9X that would work far better for 90% of the shots most of us will ever take. Having recently tested a SS 3-9X, I would put that up against any non-illuminated scope from 25-600 yards any day. </div></div>

Well, if hunting was my main objective, I could see your point, but it's not. The range is. I have talked with a few members here on board, as well as teh vendor/sponsor here on site (Liberty Optics) who I am buying from, and they seem to think will work just fine for what I am doing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you sir are in a catch-22 </div></div>

LOL! Seems that way huh....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys, rookie getting ready to buy first scope. Now, I DON'T need a recommendation on a different scope, or opinion. I just need to know should I choose Mildot, Dead Hold, VPlex, etc...?

Thanks guys </div></div>

To me,"right now",the most interesting scope to get for the money is the new Bushnell 4200 3-12 FFP mil/mil.

I got one coming in the mail to use until the 2010 NF FFP's come out.I hope it doesn't disapoint.

Steve

</div></div>

Well, I was thinking of going less mag (like in teh 12X range) but here is the "dilema" I am in.

I felt that MOST of my shooting will be in the 300-500 yard range, but DO plan on stretching her legs to a 1000. Now, is that going to be my primary range? No, of course not. But, i wanted a scope that COULD if and when I want to...because the fact of the matter is, EVENTUALLY will be stepping up in caliber to try and take full advantage of it. Basically, I know this scope is overkill for the rifle I have now, but it won't be for my next one (.338 and up)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you get matching turrets and reticle life will be easier.

<span style="color: #FF0000">To me,"right now",the most interesting scope to get for the money is the new Bushnell 4200 3-12 FFP mil/mil</span>.

Steve

</div></div>

The Bushnells don't have enough travel. I'm holding out for the Viper PST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys, rookie getting ready to buy first scope. Now, I DON'T need a recommendation on a different scope, or opinion. I just need to know should I choose Mildot, Dead Hold, VPlex, etc...?

Thanks guys </div></div>

Steve

</div></div>

Well, I was thinking of going less mag (like in teh 12X range) but here is the "dilema" I am in.

I felt that MOST of my shooting will be in the 300-500 yard range, but DO plan on stretching her legs to a 1000. Now, is that going to be my primary range? No, of course not. But, i wanted a scope that COULD if and when I want to...because the fact of the matter is, EVENTUALLY will be stepping up in caliber to try and take full advantage of it. Basically, I know this scope is overkill for the rifle I have now, but it won't be for my next one (.338 and up) </div></div>

I know your still trying to figure all this stuff out.I mean the advantages or positives/negatives of the different magnification,FFP,SFP,reticles etc.

There's people that exist that can outshoot most folks here on the Hide with aperture "iron sights" and a sling vs a scoped rifle off a bipod at 1000Y.So having a high mag scope to shoot long range isn't totally necessary.You can do allot with 12X.I was shooting at 1560 yards with my FFP scope at around 12X the other day with excellent success!

If you have a mil reticle and MOA turrets there's some small challenges involved.It's not horrible or anything but it's got it's deficits.

I have to admit I'm a first rate magnification whore myself.
smile.gif
Actually I would have bought a Vortex PST 6-24FFP if they were available or bought the new Bushnell 6-24FFP but I'm afraid I'd run out of elevation cause I frequently shoot past 1000Y.

But I do want you to understand 12X is fine for 99% of the shooting you would encounter.

Steve

Here is my .02 worth on the subj. I had a Zeiss with the rapid-z-1000. What I learned from my experience is that the scope is not always set for the same load. Meaning that you have to adjust your magnification in order to get the lines to match up.

What I was shooting I had to have my scope set at 12.31% magnification. There is not a marking for that magnification, and it was not always accurate. I dont know if that is going to be the same with your scope of choice, but I felt that I paid a good deal of money for a scope that I could only use on one power setting.

If you are going to use your turrest to adjust for elevation, they will stay true, but if you want to use the BDC you have to use it on one setting.

I would go with a mil reticle and just dope your scope for hold overs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK guys, rookie getting ready to buy first scope. Now, I DON'T need a recommendation on a different scope, or opinion. I just need to know should I choose Mildot, Dead Hold, VPlex, etc...?

Thanks guys </div></div>

Steve

</div></div>

I felt that MOST of my shooting will be in the 300-500 yard range, but DO plan on stretching her legs to a 1000. Now, is that going to be my primary range? No, of course not. But, i wanted a scope that COULD if and when I want to...because the fact of the matter is, EVENTUALLY will be stepping up in caliber to try and take full advantage of it. Basically, I know this scope is overkill for the rifle I have now, but it won't be for my next one (.338 and up) </div></div>

I know your still trying to figure all this stuff out.I mean the advantages or positives/negatives of the different magnification,FFP,SFP,reticles etc.

There's people that exist that can outshoot most folks here on the Hide with aperture "iron sights" and a sling vs a scoped rifle off a bipod at 1000Y.So having a high mag scope to shoot long range isn't totally necessary.You can do allot with 12X.I was shooting at 1560 yards with my FFP scope at around 12X the other day with excellent success!

If you have a mil reticle and MOA turrets there's some small challenges involved.It's not horrible or anything but it's got it's deficits.

I have to admit I'm a first rate magnification whore myself.
smile.gif
Actually I would have bought a Vortex PST 6-24FFP if they were available or bought the new Bushnell 6-24FFP but I'm afraid I'd run out of elevation cause I frequently shoot past 1000Y.

But I do want you to understand 12X is fine for 99% of the shooting you would encounter.

Steve

</div></div>

Ahhh, OK i see what you are saying now, thanks.

Not sure you read my other thread, where I posted up in bolt action....I went with teh 700 over teh T3, mainly because of the $$$ factor.
I got it down to this...the T3, because it was different and the 700 because of the support for it. On teh flip side, I did not want to go with teh T3, for a first time rifle buyer such as myself because the "lack of parts", and i did not want to get teh 700 because everyone and thier brother has one. I also saw it as both rifles about the same quality with very similar results shooting. So, basically I saw it as both rifles @ teh same, weighing pro's and con's.

Now, I also realize that people have thier opinions, and will say, teh T3 is btter this, and the 700 is better that and I can respect that. My point it, you can't say that one rifle is clear and above either one.

So, at that point, I looked at what I was getting for the money, and the simple fact that the 700 already had a HB on it, and was only @ $30 more than teh T3 with standard barrel, I saw it as teh deciding factor in my purchase.

JCH, I love my one and only NF (a 2.5-10X32), despite my particular one lacking zero-stop and turrets to match the mil-dot reticle. I didn't bring NF up or anything else over the price of a Vortex PST because that's already double the cost of the scope Peepaw said he is buying. With that scope, I don't mind that it's mismatched and is SFP because I only range at 10X, which is still fairly low. And I've memorized all my 1/4 MOA drops in 25 yard increments from 300-600 yards. But I will never purchase anything but a matched, FFP scope down the road.

The only other thing I'm going to add to this thread: On the upper end of magnification, consider that (aside from wind), a 10X scope aimed at a target 1000 yards away is like shooting with iron sights at 100 yards, 15X like 67 yards, and 16X like 63 yards. Psychologically, there are many of us who like the comfort of being able to really see the target. I certainly like dialing up to 15X for shots over 400 yards, but it's unnecessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JCH, I love my one and only NF (a 2.5-10X32), despite my particular one lacking zero-stop and turrets to match the mil-dot reticle. I didn't bring NF up or anything else over the price of a Vortex PST because that's already double the cost of the scope Peepaw said he is buying. With that scope, I don't mind that it's mismatched and is SFP because I only range at 10X, which is still fairly low. And I've memorized all my 1/4 MOA drops in 25 yard increments from 300-600 yards. But I will never purchase anything but a matched, FFP scope down the road.

The only other thing I'm going to add to this thread: On the upper end of magnification, consider that (aside from wind), a 10X scope aimed at a target 1000 yards away is like shooting with iron sights at 100 yards, 15X like 67 yards, and 16X like 63 yards. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">Psychologically, there are many of us who like the comfort of being able to really see the target. I certainly like dialing up to 15X for shots over 400 yards, but it's unnecessary</span></span>. </div></div>

EXACTLY what I was told by Liberty and some guys that were helping me in PM's. Since I am so new to this, I am gonna need all teh confidence builder I can get, and being able to actually see something is what I am looking for.

Again, that is why I had said in my OP that I was not looking for another scope, because I have already been through this, and did not feel the need or want to have to explain WHY I chose teh scope i did, but hence, doing it anyways
grin.gif

I felt that Liberty Optics (who came recommended from a few "vets" here on the site) would point me in right direction, according to my budget ($500 with base and rings), and I think they have done that (taking ALL of my info and what I plan on doing).

The reason I asked this earlier was, I hopped on line to buy the scope from Liberty, and we had never talked about THAT part of teh scope, so did nto want to "bother" them again, with another email, so thoght I would ask here, get my answer, then hop online again, and buy. DOne deal.

Well, just paid for the scope (Vortex Viper 6-20x44)and should be here by Saturday according to Scott over Liberty Optics, and we went Mildot.

Still been breaking rifle in without any sights at all (25-50 yard), so ready to get some down range and be able to see what I am shooting at. Have 20 rounds down it now.....

I don't blaim you for holding out.I needed a quick solution
smile.gif

The B 3-12's have around 20 mils of elevation,a little more than the B 6-24's.That extra 8 mils makes it worth considering for my purposes.

I still might get a PST FFP.

EDIT...I looked up the "estimated elevation travel" on the PST thread and both the 4-16 and 6-24's were around 20 mils.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">Psychologically, there are many of us who like the comfort of being able to really see the target. I certainly like dialing up to 15X for shots over 400 yards, but it's unnecessary</span></span>. </div></div></div></div>

I'm sure you will enjoy the scope and it will be good for a lot of shooting situations. Scott (@ L.O.) wouldn't steer you wrong. Aside from really crappy scopes, there aren't really any wrong scopes. However, I do wish I had emphasized the last three words of my statement by putting them in a separate sentence:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"But it's unnecessary."</span>

I really do think that there's a trend to over-scope and over-chamber rifles. That's why I recommend scaling down. But there's always time for that later. Learn on this one and then armed with what you like and dislike about it, all your future purchases will be based on experience - your own.

</div></div>

100% agree with this. I'm a mildot fan. As others havee said, make life easy on yourself and get the turrets and the reticle on the same system of measurement. MOA/MOA or mil/mil but don't mix the two unless you want your brain to hurt. The vast majority of ranging scopes and the long range community as whole is moving to mils instead of MOA. So jump on board for the big win.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">Psychologically, there are many of us who like the comfort of being able to really see the target. I certainly like dialing up to 15X for shots over 400 yards, but it's unnecessary</span></span>. </div></div></div></div>

I'm sure you will enjoy the scope and it will be good for a lot of shooting situations. Scott (@ L.O.) wouldn't steer you wrong. Aside from really crappy scopes, there aren't really any wrong scopes. However, I do wish I had emphasized the last three words of my statement by putting them in a separate sentence:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"But it's unnecessary."</span>

I really do think that there's a trend to over-scope and over-chamber rifles. That's why I recommend scaling down. But there's always time for that later. Learn on this one and then armed with what you like and dislike about it, all your future purchases will be based on experience - your own. </div></div>

Right, good advice. i think for teh most part, I did pretty well, all things considered. I know everyone has an opinion on what works, and what they like, but I think once I sat back, and looked at what I plan on doing, did pretty good. Is it going to be teh "perfect" (if there is such a thing) setup? Probaly not, but just like you said, can and will learn from it. can and will take the "pro's" and "con's" from it and go from there.

Basically, what I plan on doing (things change of course) is getting LOTS of range time with this setup, all the while doing my homework/research and go from there. Since my next purchase will be a HG of some sort (more than likely a 1911), then an AR, then a shotgun, will probaly at that point, come back @ and have a rifle made in the .338-.50 cal range. At this point, would have to say probaly in teh .338-.416 range, but again, is a ways off and I am sure thigns will change by that time. Would have to say I am looking at AT LEAST a year before I make it "full circle" and probaly closer to 2 years, which should give me quite a bit of time to sort out this combo (700 HB .308)

Well, this is what I have going on. I got some help through some PM's from some "vets" and I think I did pretty well if I do say so myself.
I had a budget of @ $1000-$1200 for EVERYTHING, and was hoping to come in closer to $1000.
After MUCH debate and going back and forth between the T3 and Rem 700, I went 700.
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308 26" Heavy Barrel for $569
Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 Mildot on a 30mm tube for $379 shipped
EGW 1 piece Picatinny canted 20MOA base for $40
Warne 30MM Weaver Style Rings "mediums" for $40

So, I have just a little over $1000 into the whole setup, rifle, base, rings, scope all new in teh box, and I think for what I got, I got a heck of a deal that will serve it's purpose and then some.
The rifle is still being broke in (been shooting no sights/scope up to this point) but once I get scope (should be here tomorrow) sighted in, will report back hopefully with some nice groups.

Thanks for those that helped and were able to overlook the "rookie" status and be patient with me.

Here is my first 4 shot group @ 100 yards after we got it sited in this past weekend. At teh range, I actually ran into, by pure coincidence a fellow Hide Member (Jawa), and he helped me out ALOT...(sorry about the ruler)

DSCN1949.jpg

And here is my 2nd goup, a 3 shot @ 100 yards. Another Hide member put it into some software program and he came up with a .61MOA, which of course, I am extremely happy with...

DSCN1948.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No pics of the rifle? </div></div>

Yes I do...when I get back home (at work computer right now) will post some pics up of it. "Just" a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 26" Heavy Barrel, but it's my first rifle purchase ever, and I absolutely love it.

I know there is ALOT left in it, as I NEVER got real comfortable behind teh scope oher day. I need a raised cheek piece, as I am not able to get a good cheek weld AT ALL, and I am actually OFF teh stock.
Again, there ended up being a Hide member out at teh range that helpd me site it in, and he let me put a couple down range with his setup, and man it was nice! To be able to just plop down (shooting from a bench) load a round, position myself, and fire.
With mine, I never get truly comfortable behind it...having hard time placing my left hand (right handed shooter) since I can't get a good cheek weld, so my head/neck is up some and jsut trying to get a good line of site was very difficult.

So, all of that being said, and you add in fact that I was shooting just your "break in" type ammo...Winchester 150 grain of the $13 variety, and I am very thrilled with my results. Now have 35 rounds down the pipe, and want to put another 20 or so down to call it "broke in" and then start shooting the Hornady 168 I picked up from Powder valley.

Pics when I get home...

OK here are some pics...

Before scope...

DSCN1829.jpg

After last weekend:

DSCN1964.jpg

DSCN1969.jpg

OK, now looking at that, since I have a set of mediums on it now...you think if I went with some lows, scope would still clear?

Would be nice to get a good cheek weld without having to go to a cheek piece, and obviously if I can lower scope some, would serve 2 purpose's. So, you think a set of lows would work?

Yes. I have lows on my Savage 243AI with that exact scope. I wish i could have gone extra low. I'll get a pic up soon.

Try an Eagle stock pack and you can put foam peices under it until you get the cheek weld you want.

All my shooting buddies don't like how high i have to put my cheek on my my ADJ stocks. But it is perfect for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. I have lows on my Savage 243AI with that exact scope. I wish i could have gone extra low. I'll get a pic up soon.

Try an Eagle stock pack and you can put foam peices under it until you get the cheek weld you want.

All my shooting buddies don't like how high i have to put my cheek on my my ADJ stocks. But it is perfect for me. </div></div>

OK cool. Yeah the guy that has been helping me here on Hide, but through PM and said he was ALMOST sure I could put lows on it, but he did not want me to buy them, and not fit, so he recomended the mediums which are on it. I coudl have threw caution to the wind and bought the lows, but I was really wanting to shoot, and so I bought what we KNEW would work. Now that I have it setup, is now the time to tweak it.

Here is what is funny....if I hold gun LEFT handed (I am right handed) and bring scope/rifle up, I almost have a PERFECT line of site down scope??????? But if I swap it over and hold RIGHT (the way I shoot) handed, is when I have to hold my head real high to look down scope??? Weird huh????? I mean, it SOUNDS weird to me, on why I can hold it one way, and line is almot perfect, and then swap over and line of site is crap??? You ever hear of that? How about yoursetup..you try holding opposite hand of how you shoot and see how your line of site is?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes. I have lows on my Savage 243AI with that exact scope. I wish i could have gone extra low. I'll get a pic up soon.

All my shooting buddies don't like how high i have to put my cheek on my my ADJ stocks. But it is perfect for me. </div></div>

OH, and the Hide member I keep referring to, he mentioned about that Eagle pack and a link for it, so gonna check it out.

mine is the same left and right handed. But i am running an A3 on the 243AI right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine is the same left and right handed. But i am running an A3 on the 243AI right now. </div></div>

Hmm, ok. Let me ask you this, since I am a rookie and all...Is what i am dealing with a NORMAL thing, or is it just ME? IN other words, do other people experience this as well, or am I just doing something wrong? Or is it because of teh stock?

Thanks

I think it is the way you place your head on the stock left handed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

so do you think Nightforce NXS scopes are good scopes? </div></div>

Yes! Only time I use my mil dot is for target shooting and unknown ranges... I don't hunt but iv been told mil dots are not great for hunting. If your looking to hunt id suggest maybe not a mil-dot but if your looking to target and tactical shoot longer unknown ranges Id use the mil dot system. But most hunting should be don't around 75-300yards anyways (I think) anything beyond that I just think its a look how big my dick is and how far I can shoot. Because most the people who I watch on these shows hunt that far out miss half the time or their hit points are way off and don't have the skill to be attempting those ranges.

MOA - all calcs can be done in your head, under stress.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think it is the way you place your head on the stock left handed. </div></div>

OK, was wondering if it was just me, or other. Yeah, I tried duplicating but still came up "short". Kind of like swinging a bat I guess. No matter how hard I try, I can't swing the bat teh same left handed as I can right, and vice versa.

Oh well...

Alos, I am thinking of picking up some "lows" to drop scope some to try and help out some.

OK, Hide member hooked me up with a link to a set of lows...gonna get them ordered up on Tues or Wed.