• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying the wife a soft armor vest, need recommendations

WtxMSCL8188

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
Odessa TX
Help a brother out! Need some info. Soft shell or plates. Needs to be tactical. I shoot long range, don’t know shit about this part!

Just get the one that comes with this

Attachments

• 1622005431795.png
    1622005431795.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
1622014030305.png

while it won't stop a bullet it will look great and in your final minutes of life Id like to think it would make for a great final view to go out with a smile on your face . just an idea not saying it's a good one just a idea .:love::love::LOL: now getting her to wear it would be all on you . it even has a mask for your protection . just add plating where you want to .

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
Actual self defense
Hesco L210 plates are a solid option. You could go with Hesco 4401 if you need the 30cal armor piercing protection, but I wouldn’t worry about that unless she’s going overseas.

The L210 are thinner and lighter weight that also stops M855 green tip. Hesco also has a solid reputation. If you’re being shot at with something L210 can’t handle, you have bigger problems.

How “tactical” does the plate carrier need to be? What does she need to carry on the vest? Is everything going to be belt mounted like pouches and etc? Need a lot more info in order to help.

Much like a gun, the best body armour is the one you are actually wearing when you need it.

I might suggest in addition to whatever excellent setup you get, you also consider getting her a concealable IIIA soft vest that can go under your clothes and has a front and rear pouch for a small strike plate.

There are many situations where you might find a setup very useful when you want to be on the "just in case" side and not be all about looking like a turtle.

Dfndr Armor used to have a really nice concealable plate carrier rig, but I don't see it on their site anymore.

Reactions: rpoL98
Given that your wife actually lifts, if you want soft armor you need to get her properly sized and fitted. Female front panels use demonstrably different geometry and if it’s not fitted properly, it’s going to be very uncomfortable for her. It’s even more critical because your wife doesn’t have the same physique as most other women. After that it’s a matter of deciding whether you want it concealed or overt, and if thinness or weight are going to be an issue because that will greatly affect price.

Hard armor is simply a matter of getting a carrier and plates. It just depends on how much you want to spend and what material and protection level you want.

Another place to check out is safelife. They've also just introduced their flexible "soft plates".
MrGunsngear just did a video on them and they were effective against m855 and 7.62x31.

I have their IIIa soft body armor that is also good against stabby things.

My plates and carrier are my .mil issue.

Reactions: WtxMSCL8188
Damn that is nice!! What brand is that????

Carrier:

Quick Attachment:

Plates: https://bulletproofzone.com/collect...eight-level-iii-polyethylene-body-armor-plate

side soft armor:

Pouches on carrier are shellback tactical as well, but the pouches on the belt are blue force gear.

Only solid answer for plates so far has been the Hesco ones.
  • Bulletproofme has issues. Some good stuff, but too willing to sell to a price point and not super duper admit it is crap.
  • Safelife is as good as a scam. Mostly the same guys and same tech as Dragon Skin which was in the newspapers as a disaster so you can look it up.
  • Stay far away from NCStar, Condor, etc. for carriers. Low quality so will fall apart too often when used heavily, and also super uncomfortable so you will avoid wearing it.
If actually expected to be worn much, pony up for multi-curve plates. It matters.

Do not go for steel plates. Essentially ever. Likewise, "trauma plates" are old tech. Plates means "rifle plates" or ones that stop cartridges that soft kevlar will not.

Know ICW vs not. In Conjunction With. Many plates require kevlar backers. Some do not.

Know how to wear it. Almost everyone wears it too low. I have a better diagram somewhere, but this will do:

For price point my favorite plates are the ShotStop Duritium GT2. Light enough, thin enough, and hundreds instead of thousands. I even have a favorite retailer but... are we allowed to post anyone since there are sponsors? I am unclear.

Anyway, only downside to those is they are made of PE which will degrade performance if overheated for a long time. That means things like leaving it in the trunk every day in the sun. OTOH, not ceramic so you can use for training, toss it around, no chance of breaking.

As far as suggesting carriers: it depends as others have said. Concealable or otherwise low-profile, to be festooned with pouches, or what? And there is middle ground; I wear mine mostly slick but put an LBE on top of it, so "not low profile" doesn't mean you need lots of webbing on it.

Most women muddle through with generic armor and often just some strap adjustment and knowing it never fits anyone perfectly is enough. Tyr makes a female-specific one though: http://www.tyrtactical.com/news/details/tyr-tactical-female-shape-body-armor/ Available in several models:

For some more background, a bit of a discussion on armor and women:

Came across this recently, thought I'd throw this out there as an option...

Predator Armor Level IIIA Body Armor... they also sell Minimalist Plate Carriers that I think are pretty decent for the money.

I ordered their Level III+ Kevlar Wrapped bundle from them first. Something to keep in my truck and use for heavy rucks. After watching some of the Independent reviews, I'm sold that it's the way to go if you run steel. They recently published a video showing the Kevlar wrap take over 50 9mm rounds before the frag came out the side. Pretty impressive.

FWIW... hope this helps if anyone else comes across it in the future and is shopping armor.