• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Buying what I need to reload .308 but what dies?

One_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Selma, Texas
Wow, there are so many different dies for .308 and I am lost. I am going to reload for myself because factory ammo is so expensive and honestly not impressing me with accuracy. Should I get a FL sizing die or just neck sizer? I am planning on loading to a COAL. I have a caliper. Whats a good seating die and do I need the micrometer style?

Re: Buying what I need to reload .308 but what dies?

Very Cool, Thanks Doc !

I'm going to dig into that this weekend.

NAG,

What is this quickload you speak of?

-Pat

Quick Load is a magic computer program that once you understand it will save you boo coo $$$$ in powder and boolets. I have been mooching off friends for years and have finally taken the jump.

Cheers,

Doc

Re: Buying what I need to reload .308 but what die

You don't need a micrometer seating die unless you're loading around the lands. Usually, it's not a consideration if your rifle has a magazine. Forster makes an excellent standard die that has an alignment sleeve like Redding's Competition seater and their own micrometer model.

A neck sizing die has little advantage over a properly adjusted (minimum shoulder bump) FL sizer. Your decision is whether you want to use a bushing-style die to minimize working of the brass. Redding's S-style dies are very popular. In a standard sizer, Forster's is excellent, but is relatively expensive. The expander is usually considered a problem (run-out) source; Forster's design minimizes the effect.

A Redding bushing FL die paired with a Forster basic seating die would be an excellent combination. A standard Forster set would be next best.

I have the Savage 10FP in .308. I have had good success with the Lee Collett neck sizing die and the Redding competition seating die. Since I am a hunter in California I have to use lead free ammo. My 10FP shoots the 168 gr. Barnes TTSX really well. I seat them to 2.800 OAL. I have great results with IMR4064, Varget, and Reloader 15 powders. My best group was with the IMR at .259 @ 100 yards. I also shoot the 155 gr. Lapua Scenars at the range with excellent results. If I do my part any of these powders or bullets will easily give me sub MOA groups out to 300 yards. That is as far as I have been able to shoot with this rifle since I started reloading. I also use Laupua brass and CCI BR2 primers.

Anyway...The Lee dies work well for me and a lot of people like Redding, RCBS, or Forster. You prabably can't go wrong with any of these. Pick what fits your budget.

Just get the Redding S-type 3 die set and be done with it. You'll need a .335 bushing for the neck sizing die.

I use Dillon dies for my full length sizing, and a lee collet die for neck sizing. I do not crimp.

Can of worms comes to mind! I have both Redding, Forster, and RCBS in COMP dies. I use the Forster Micro seater to seat everything I load for. Just didn't care for the RCBS but I have one. I've had my best luck with the Redding Micro adjustable bushing neck sizer and had a Redding body full length sizer honed to fit my rifle chamber. I use the regular Redding bushing neck sizers just as well in all my other rifles though it's just nice to be able to dial it in as much or as little as you want. I don't use expanders, I control my neck tension with the bushing size I choose. I can say the Lee collet neck sizers are awful good if you want a more even neck pressure out of you brass without so much stretch coming over the expander. The Forster comp Full is one of the best they are if you don't want to do the bushing thing in a full length.

Silly as it may sound, I use lee and still manage to get .3" ish range groups at 100 with a GAP

as you can see each company has something that they bring to the table. It's not just as simple as a buy a Redding Bench rest die set for many people. I think that has more to do with a reloader that has worked his way through things and come up with what is a good set up for him.
I loaded for years with nothing but standard RCBS dies and the diffrence between that and match grade brass prep, powder charges, and bullets that have been weighed, Metplats trimmed. etc.. wasn't enough to make a diffrence for the average shot I take hunting. Long range precision shooting in a match is a diffrent story.

If you plan on just loading to a COAL you may do just fine with an RCBS full length sizer/deprimer and a seating die. Get the whole set used for no more then 20 dollars. It all depends on what your intended use for the ammo is. Jeff

I plan on shooting 5-shot groups on paper at 100 yards. I was thinking Fed 210M primers, Varget, SMK and Win brass. I dont have all the fancy equipment, just starting with the basic stuff as I will be loading small batches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2084</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you have the best everything except for the brass. use norma or nosler. </div></div>

Or Lapua.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=454332

This is looking pretty good but its out of stock. </div></div>
Try here:

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00070004501

I have neglected to mention that the Forster lock rings are preferred to Redding's. </div></div>

I like the Ultra Seaters better but there are no better lock rings than Hornady. Steel not aluminum split like the Forster and made where you can use a wrench or Crescent wrench with ease no special tool to buy.

Seems many of us forget what it was like to be a beginner and want to advise others to start where we are now!

Let me suggest that you start with a Lee Delux three die set; they are guite good AND versatile in that a neck sizer die is included, and shell holder too. It will be a LOONNG time, if ever, before you learn to reload - or shoot - well enough to be able to see any benefit from anything else. By that time, you will then have the experience to know what you want without having to ask us!

Any added benefit between brands is the user features they bring to the table, not vague guesses of any "quality" differences. No better ammo can automatically be made with any given brand of dies, it really depends on the loaders skills. A die's innerds, where the work is done, is all within SAAMI specs no matter whose name is on the outside!

Dies need not, and perhaps should not, be wrenched into place. Most dies have had simple knurled lock rings specifically to discourage making them more than finger tight.