• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bypod Loading versus Pulling the rifle in the shoulder pocket?

mkelly

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2018
Dallas, TX
I have learned most of what I know from bits and pieces from this site. I shoot alone most of the time. This question gives me tired head. Shooting prone, I square up behind the rifle. I load the bipod as I am settling down into position. When I draw the rifle stock into the should pocket, does this not unload the bypod? What am I missing.

Reactions: DMP
When you prone, pull the rifle firmly into the shoulder pocket and then relax your body into the rifle which loads the bipod. A lot of people put too much thought into “loading” the bipod. All your doing is taking up any slack that’s there.

Last edited:
Also when prone, making sure your body(spine) is as straight behind your rifle as possible and then pulling the stock into your shoulder pocket is the key for me. If I do this in the prone (high prone, actually, 'cause I'm a bit portly, so up on my elbows) the bipod then LOADS ITSELF. To not load it I would have to dig my toes in and consciously try to pull back. Might sound weird but this is what happens for me and my body type. YMMV.

If everything else is set, but your bipod is neutral/unloaded, use your toes to slide your body forward and load the bipod.

Reactions: goneballistic
Seems like everyone is using the pint sized gamechanger for their rear bag..

If everything else is set, but your bipod is neutral/unloaded, use your toes to slide your body forward and load the bipod.

Only if time is a factor. If not, you should be reestablishing your position.

Using your feet will lead to inconsistencies and is a last resort.

Only if time is a factor. If not, you should be reestablishing your position.

Using your feet will lead to inconsistencies and is a last resort.
(y) Thomas is right. You should reestablish for the most consistent results.