• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

C.A.T. M-4 Tool Opinions?

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
While shopping for some parts for a friend of mine's AR build I stumbled across an interesting piece of equipment.
It's called the C.A.T. M-4 Tool and provides a solution to cleaning the bolt carrier group of an AR platform.

bhcatm4.png

For years now I've been looking for a tool that would remove the carbon from the back side of the bolt on an AR.
Up until now, the best method that I have found is to polish that area of the bolt, treat it with miltec-1,
then when you go to clean the BCG I would wipe it down scrape it with the back side of my knife and
then use KG-1 Carbon Remover to clean off the remainder.

There are tons of folks that will say "who cares, as longs as I keep it lubed I'm good to go."
My personal opinion is that if you are taking the time to do a complete cleaning
as opposed to a "field cleaning" you should be as thorough as possible.
Otherwise, why even bother.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had messed with this product before and if so, what did you think?

I felt compelled to order one yesterday after stumbling upon it.
The FedEx tracking number says that it should be here on Monday, so I will post my option after that.

In case anyone wanted more info, here is a link to the manufacture's site: Combat Application Tools, Inc.

Re: C.A.T. M-4 Tool Opinions?

Meh...it's interesting, I've just never bought into the carrier and bolt scraping. Not saying one shouldn't, and not saying I wouldn't if I happened to have this tool.

I'm not a cheap ass, but I think the price point is a little steep for what it is. imo.

Disclaimer: I shoot matches (ITRC, USPSA) with one of the owners, excellent human being.

It works well. It's one of those tools you don't know you want until you've tried it, then you wonder how you got along without it. You can scrape the bolt tails with a .308 case, pocket knife, or whatever, but this thing is quick, easy, compact and light.

I gave mine away to an Instructor at the Midwest USTC (Blackwater), and he seemed to like it.

The CRT scraper looks like another way to skin a cat with it's pincher action, but at the cost of a bigger, heavier, more expensive tool with moving parts that may break or come loose. I would think of the CRT or MOACKS scraper as a bench tool, the CAT-M4 as a field tool.

Looks interesting....really up to you. Stripper clips work fine for getting the carbon ring out of the bolt carrier and off bolt nose area for me.

I have never found any benefit in accuracy or reliability from cleaning the firing pin and the bolt tail. The only problem I could ever see from having a dirty boat tail is when the buildup gets thick enough to break off and fall into the action.

IMO its just one of those anal retentive things passed down from military cleaning standards.

The only significant issue would be if enough carbon builds up the bolt will not be able to lock into battery.
I've never had that type of failure though.

Anyone have some first hand experience with stopages related to carbon buildup on the bolt & bolt carrier?

One must be careful about "polishing" anything on the bolt. I suppose as long as you don't polish to the point of changing the geometry of the thing, then you are GTG. But, be careful.

Look into SLiP 2000 Carbon Killer as a cleaning solution, I first read about the stuff in Precision Shooting magazine a couple years ago. Drop your bolt into a container of the stuff after you remove the firing pin, let it soak for 5-10 minutes and you will need to use nothing more than a paper towel to wipe off the carbon build up. I shoot the living crap out of my AR's, and this stuff is the sh*t.

One caveat. Make sure you re-oil the bolt well as the Carbon Killer REALLY degreases. Don't ask me how I know that...

Edited for spelling

Ok, I just received the tool and had a chance to clean my BCG using it.
All I can say is NICE...
cool.gif

It is worth every penny.
I was able to clean my BCG better than ever in under 10 minutes.
(That is not a field cleaning, but rather a complete detailing of the Bolt Carrier Group.)
I didn't realize it until I looked at the packaging, but it also has a warranty similar to Snap-On!

Just good solid engineering.
It is simple, purpose built and inclusive.
My crystal ball sees this product being very successful.

Great piece of kit. I really do not like scraping carbon off M4 bolts or bolt carriers.

I picked one up to give it a try several years ago and love it. No, I have not experienced stoppages due to bolt tail fouling, but I am my department armorer, and it goes without saying, on annual inspections, I clean EVERYTHING! I liked it well enough that I picked up a second one for my personal kit and had to kind of squeeze the fork ends a tad as it was loose, but now it works fine. If you want to keep the bolt tail clean, I highly recommend it. Fast, easy to use, small to store. If you don't care about that, then it is a waste of money.