• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CA Assault Rifle Laws

Shooter68

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2007
Beaver Country
I am not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but I just had a quick question. My friend is looking at buying an AR style rifle and was wondering if he would run into any trouble buying it being from CA? He would buy it here in OR and would mostly keep it here. It seems like having an AR style rifle wouldn be a big deal but I told him I would ask the Hide for your input. Thanks for the help

Ryan

Re: CA Assault Rifle Laws

California makes it very hard to have a decent AR style rifle. What is legal where you are is almost certianly illegal in CA.

If your friend wants something like an AR that can be used in CA, they may want to look at something like the Kel-Tech SU-16CA

All you need is a "bullet button" to make it legal. All it does is it makes it so you have to use a tool to remove the magazine. Also your barrel has to be 16in in lenght and you cant have flash hiders only muzzle breaks. Oh and you can have adjustable/collapsible stock just not folding.... CA laws are retarded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need is a "bullet button" to make it legal. All it does is it makes it so you have to use a tool to remove the magazine. Also your barrel has to be 16in in lenght and you cant have flash hiders only muzzle breaks. Oh and you can have adjustable/collapsible stock just not folding.... CA laws are retarded. </div></div>

This is wrong. You need to look up the DOJ regs in Cali. I was stationed there from June 2009-December 2010.

First off, if the AR is on the "ban list" you cannot legally own it...period. Unfortunately, most major manufacturers are listed on the ban list. Now, if you get what is called an off-list lower you have to ensure the following:

1. The rifle has a 16" or greater barrel and that the overall length is greater than 26" (or 30").
2. If the rifle has a pistol grip, it cannot have a muzzle device or detachable magazine.
3. If it has a detachable magazine, you cannot have a pistol grip. You must get one of those weird stocks with the grip incorporated into the butt stock.
4. You cannot have a magazine that can hold greater than 10 rounds.

Now, below is the link to the flow chart from Cal-guns which is your best friend when it comes to California AW laws. Bottom Line: It is really hard to do the AR platform justice in the state of California.

Link

Josh

Where the rifle is coming from shouldn't matter. You should check your state and local laws since it will be bought and kept in Oregon.
Theres nothing difficult about legally owning AR's in California.
You just need an off the list lower with a bullet button, 16+ in. upper and a magazine that cannot accept anything over 10rnds. Theres different laws for different variations, e.g, AR pistols or AR's without "evil features". So a little knowledge of the current laws might be a good idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need is a "bullet button" to make it legal. All it does is it makes it so you have to use a tool to remove the magazine. Also your barrel has to be 16in in lenght and you cant have flash hiders only muzzle breaks. Oh and you can have adjustable/collapsible stock just not folding.... CA laws are retarded. </div></div>

This is wrong. You need to look up the DOJ regs in Cali. I was stationed there from June 2009-December 2010.

First off, if the AR is on the "ban list" you cannot legally own it...period. Unfortunately, most major manufacturers are listed on the ban list. Now, if you get what is called an off-list lower you have to ensure the following:

1. The rifle has a 16" or greater barrel and that the overall length is greater than 26" (or 30").
2. If the rifle has a pistol grip, it cannot have a muzzle device or detachable magazine.
3. If it has a detachable magazine, you cannot have a pistol grip. You must get one of those weird stocks with the grip incorporated into the butt stock.

Now, below is the link to the flow chart from Cal-guns which is your best friend when it comes to California AW laws. Bottom Line: It is really hard to do the AR platform justice in the state of California.

Link

Josh </div></div>

that sounds like the gayest rifle ever! Love the Lone Star State!

Why would he buy in OR? They probably won't even sell it to him. You can't drive to OR, buy an AR and drive home. He needs to buy from a reputable dealer who understands Ca law. www.riflegear.com are good guys and deal with this stuff everyday. If he is buying from a private party in OR, they will need ship it to an FFL and the bullet button will have to be installed before he takes possession. The FFL will have to have an assault weapons permit to do the transfer if I remember correctly. Calguns.net can answer all your questions.

Tell him to buy something in Cali the legal way. If your buddy is a regular guy who wants an AR pattern rifle and doesn't mind ten round mags+maglocks or goofy grips/no assault weapon features he can have one; if he's the type who wants a Colt & hicaps then he's in for a disappointment.

Also calguns is your best source of info about this stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't drive to OR, buy an AR and drive home.</div></div>

You can if you do it at a gun show or something. It's not legal though & not worth the risk. IMO not worth a felony for something that says Colt on the side of it when you can have a bravocompany (every bit as good) and not be in trouble...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All you need is a "bullet button" to make it legal. All it does is it makes it so you have to use a tool to remove the magazine. Also your barrel has to be 16in in length and you cant have flash hiders only muzzle breaks. Oh and you can have adjustable/collapsible stock just not folding.... CA laws are retarded. </div></div>

Link

Josh </div></div>

How am I wrong? Muzzle device is classified as "flash hider" muzzle break is OK!

"3. If it has a detachable magazine, you cannot have a pistol grip. You must get one of those weird stocks with the grip incorporated into the butt stock."

The bullet button makes it a non detachable magazine. so you can have a pistol grip. If im wrong than why was I not arrested the few times I brought my POF P308 out there with the bullet button?

Here is the bullet button in use. Oh yes I did forget to mention the 10 round mag cap.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRQNb9jGsZ4&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRQNb9jGsZ4&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Sebben,

I was pointing out that your response is not nearly complete. POF is not on the ban list, but the types of ARs he would likely encounter at a gun shop probably are. He needs to be aware of that. The muzzle device/muzzle brake/flash hider is one of those areas that I choose not to get into the debate with the CA DOJ. If OP's friend chooses to "walk the line" that's fine with me. Again, having the weapon and getting caught for said weapon are two different things. The response was far too simplistic for the actual firearms codes and I didn't want someone going off that and getting in trouble.

Luckily for me the Navy felt obliged to transfer me to a state that was a little more tolerant of firearms. I can even buy a suppressor here...who would have thought?

Josh