• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CA Ranger - I might just do it.

Kavi09

Kavi
Minuteman
May 20, 2020
Canada
I am looking for a decent .22lr bolt rifle for myself and to help my kids get more proficient with dialing turrets and bolt guns in general. We have a really good maple seed program in my area, so there are many competitions for the kids to enjoy.

I am looking at buying a CA Ranger 22. For me it checks so many of the boxes, but I haven't ever seen one in real life.

I keep going back and forth between the Ranger, the Bergara BMR CF, or a CZ 457 variant. While the CZ seems like a good option, the price ends up creeping up really quick for me since I dont want to spend money on features that I will inevitably upgrade like stock or barrel...

The Ranger just seems like it has the trigger, barrel and "decent" stock; all of which means nothing if it doesn't shoot well.

Bergara BMR CF is light but maybe doesn't shoot as well as the standard version and has basically no aftermarket support but if its like my Bergara and others I have shot, accuracy should be no problem.

CZ 457 gets heavy for the kiddos but its probably the best investment overall.

Long story short I'm probably going to buy a CA Ranger 22, if this is a disaster of an idea someone please stop me.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Get a Vudoo or a Bergara. I'd stay as far away from CA as possible. The Bergara is a very good "budget" rimfire alternative to the Vudoo or RimX.

Do any of them fit kids? I guess it depends on how old your kids are, but length of pull is usually not correct for little ones.

I have a CA ranger and it’s been a great rifle. I have quite a few rounds through it. I got it when it first came out. Shoots really well with standard velocity CCI’s.

Reactions: FuhQ
For your criteria, I would get the Bergara BMR Bolt in steel personally. You're looking at a negligible 0.5 pound difference compared to the carbon, which will be offset in the fact that the steel will be easier to balance once a scope is mounted. The only thing I would add is to drill and fit the stock with an adjustable kydex cheek piece of some sort. I would probably mount a Arken EPL-4 4-16X44 on it to keep the weight down at 24.4 Oz. but it would most likely require changing out the 30 MOA base to a 15 MOA to get it to zero at 50 yards.

For your criteria, I would get the Bergara BMR Bolt in steel personally. You're looking at a negligible 0.5 pound difference compared to the carbon, which will be offset in the fact that the steel will be easier to balance once a scope is mounted. The only thing I would add is to drill and fit the stock with an adjustable kydex cheek piece of some sort. I would probably mount a Arken EPL-4 4-16X44 on it to keep the weight down at 24.4 Oz. but it would most likely require changing out the 30 MOA base to a 15 MOA to get it to zero at 50 yards.
I am looking for a decent .22lr bolt rifle for myself and to help my kids get more proficient with dialing turrets and bolt guns in general. We have a really good maple seed program in my area, so there are many competitions for the kids to enjoy.

I am looking at buying a CA Ranger 22. For me it checks so many of the boxes, but I haven't ever seen one in real life.

I keep going back and forth between the Ranger, the Bergara BMR CF, or a CZ 457 variant. While the CZ seems like a good option, the price ends up creeping up really quick for me since I dont want to spend money on features that I will inevitably upgrade like stock or barrel...

The Ranger just seems like it has the trigger, barrel and "decent" stock; all of which means nothing if it doesn't shoot well.

Bergara BMR CF is light but maybe doesn't shoot as well as the standard version and has basically no aftermarket support but if its like my Bergara and others I have shot, accuracy should be no problem.

CZ 457 gets heavy for the kiddos but its probably the best investment overall.

Long story short I'm probably going to buy a CA Ranger 22, if this is a disaster of an idea someone please stop me.
Take a look at the Tikka T1X

Well I ended up ordering a cz 457 mdt. I figured having an adjustable stock option would help the kiddos with the LOP. I can swap the buffer tube and stock with another rifle and build up the cheek rest.

Thanks for the feedback anyways
I have a ranger and love it, but the cz 457 is really the rifle to get, its about as good as a production rifle gets. Excellent choice IMO.

Well I ended up ordering a cz 457 mdt. I figured having an adjustable stock option would help the kiddos with the LOP. I can swap the buffer tube and stock with another rifle and build up the cheek rest.

Thanks for the feedback anyways
Good choice.

My neighbor has the Ranger and we have shot together a couple times. It seems to shoot pretty nice but I don't care for the feel of the action. Hard to explain.

Update. The CZ shoots like a champ! I am so happy with it. I shot consistent quarter inch groups at 50 with eley match ammo. CCI 40g hp shot under half inch all day. I am super impressed with how well it shot right out of the box. I did make some trigger adjustments and its around 1.8 with no trouble. My kiddos love it so much as well.

That level of precision is impressive.

How is the bolt to work for the kiddos? My kindergartner shoots a CZ Scout, which was a hand me down from his big brother who is an adult now (and served another boy in between), and to be honest all of them had trouble working the bolt until they go to be about 10-12 years old. Not a huge deal of trouble, but certainly some trouble.

And to be honest if I am comparing for example my Impact action to the CZ Scout's action, no contest, the CZ Scout feels sticky and clunky.

How is the action on the CZ 457 MDT?

I have another CZ, a larger one, which may be the 457 (I bought them so long ago it is hard to remember). Of course, I do not know if the action is the same just because they both might be technically a 457 - maybe CZ does something to the action meant for precision and maybe competition.

Both of my CZ .22 rifles are tack drivers - but I am still curious how the action is on this precision file you purchased from CZ.

The bolt movement is pretty smooth but the lock up is a bit tight and took a bit of getting used to for the kids. When moving the bolt arm up or down its best to do it in one quick motion vs trying to lock it down slow. The MDT does have a rubberized bolt knob that is easy to grip. My 7 yr old was able to cycle it with no problems after a few tries.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
A friend recently brought a CA Ranger to the range. He got it in trade, I liked it a lot. Was going to offer him cash for it but someone beat me to the punch.

I really enjoyed shooting it. QC is a crap shoot with any brand now. I'd be more interested in how they take care of people under warranty if QC was my main concern.

Reactions: Bri0242
A friend has one. I am not impressed with it. Seems like a bolt action 10/22. The magazine system is great for a semi-auto, but leaves a lot on the table in terms of bullet handing in a precision rifle. Rifle is also too light if the intent is to use it as a precision rifle. I have not fired it, but I have seen him run plenty of Center X and Tenex through it and the groups are not impressive. I would buy a CZ or a Tikka first.

A friend recently brought a CA Ranger to the range. He got it in trade, I liked it a lot. Was going to offer him cash for it but someone beat me to the punch.

I really enjoyed shooting it. QC is a crap shoot with any brand now. I'd be more interested in how they take care of people under warranty if QC was my main concern.
In mid-2023 @christensenarms went through a whole entire company-wide upgrade. From manufacturing process upgrades, tooling upgrades, and even personnel upgrades, with an entirely new customer service department under Jimmy Durham. I don't know all the specifics, so I'm tagging Jimmy so he can explain more info about this.

Last edited:
A friend has one. I am not impressed with it. Seems like a bolt action 10/22. The magazine system is great for a semi-auto, but leaves a lot on the table in terms of bullet handing in a precision rifle. Rifle is also too light if the intent is to use it as a precision rifle. I have not fired it, but I have seen him run plenty of Center X and Tenex through it and the groups are not impressive. I would buy a CZ or a Tikka first.
Complete opposite of my experience... Mine shoots sub-MOA 5-shot groups at 100 with cheap CCI SV...Consistently. It also shot a 1.200" 3-shot group at 200 yards, and several 1/3-MOA and 1/2-MOA groups at 100 yards. There's a whole thread I started documenting it...

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
The bolt handle threads right into the bolt. Only guy in our NRL22 local league had it snap off in his hand just running the bolt.

The bolt handle threads right into the bolt. Only guy in our NRL22 local league had it snap off in his hand just running the bolt.
The bolt doesn't thread into the bolt body... It uses a cantilevered lobe & notch design that is held in place by a sleeve inside of the bolt body. As you'll see in the pictures in my thread I linked above.