• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cabine buffer & Spacer vs Rifle buffer...

acebanana

Obi Wan Kanobi
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So I've been planning on switching to a PRS stock, and thus need a rifle buffer/tube. I already have a Spikes ST-T2 buffer that I really like, and found out RRA makes a spacer to use a carbine buffer/spring in a rifle buffer tube so my question is would it be better to use a ST-T2 & that spacer or stick with a rifle buffer? I think a standard rifle buffer weighs about .9oz more than the ST-T2 but the ST-T2 would be using a shorter spring. So in terms of recoil impulse/follow up shots would you use a ST-T2 & spacer or a standard rifle buffer & spring? Or maybe even a ST-T3(.2oz heavier than rifle) and spacer?

Last edited:
Neither.

Get the JP SCS. I have tried both the rifle buffer and carbine buffer setups. The JP is the way to go.

The problem is not just one of simply making the carbine buffer "fit" into the A1/A2 receiver extension, but a significant issue of it NOT being nearly heavy enough, even with the ST-T2, on your average rifle-length (or even mid- or intermediate length gas system). Those spacers were primarily designed so that people running fixed, A1/A2 stocks who were having reliability issues running the heavier, 5.2oz rifle buffer in them would have an alternative (i.e. - to run the lighter carbine, H and H2 type buffers in a rifle-length extension to achieve better reliability). The problem comes into play in other length gas systems. Your average CAR buffer weighs only ~3oz. The ST-T2 weighs only ~4.2oz average (mine have varied in weight between 4oz flat and 4.4oz...you should check yours to see where you fall). That's roughly a full ounce, or ~20%, less than a standard AR-15 rifle buffer which weighs in at 5.2oz. Unless you are running an adjustable gas block and can tune things to function ideally with the lighter buffer, etc., I would recommend that you NOT run the ST-T2 and spacer.

Just buy the @#&% $14 rifle-length buffer and $4 rifle-length spring you cheap @#$% and stop trying to shoehorn a solution to an otherwise easily avoidable problem!! ;) ;)

Haha thank you ORD, thats what I was looking for. I can't help but think though if the weights were equal, than the tungsten powder would feel more "smooth" than the weights in those ridiculously priced $14 rifle buffers! Although that does lead me to another question, would the reason a heavier buffer is required is the gas pressure higher on a rifle length compared to a carbine length gas system? I mean I assumed running a carbine buffer/tube on a rifle length gas system would be/feel the same as running a A2 tube with a spacer & same combo, which honestly I haven't tried the prior yet but I see it quite often. I also assumed the reason the rifle buffer was heavier is because the spring itself is longer and required more force to compress it far enough to clear the bolt catch. Although you know what they say about assuming, the only thing I even have experience with is carbine & mid length gas systems with carbine buffer tubes.

And I know this sounds really stupid to a lot of people but I'm probably just crazy with a pinch of OCD :D