• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing cad/cam package

A

atreeman

Hi, what package should I be using for the basic drawing creation and subsequent programs for milling (3 axis probably)?

I should make it clear that I am a beginner with this technology and would want to become proficient before committing a lot (or any) funds to this.

Are the free programs worth using?

I am intending to create a basic solid floorplate/trigger guard as my first project and use that as a learning tool for more complex items.

Any and all pointers/tips/advice very much appreciated.

Regards

Gareth

Re: cad/cam package

Take a look at Solidworks and Gibbs Cam. I found both pretty easy to learn. You can draw in Solidworks and import the drawing to Gibbs Cam.

I have had good luck with Bobcad Software.Easy to understand and not to high on price range compared to others.

for 2.5d cam software, i found sheetcam to be very easy to use. they have a free download that you can try out. i think it is limited to 500 lines of code in the free demo. it is very affordable to get the full program.

as far as cad goes, i am still looking.

+1 on Operator's advice. I use solidworks and Gibbs. Both are easy to learn you can also look into mastcam. Solidworks offers a full featured student edition for about 150 bucks

GibbScam is the pitts.. worst ever on the market bar none. You would be miles ahead to go with one cnc. I run Camworks inside of SW. Pricetag is high($18K or so) so unless u own a shop, look elsewhere.

Thanks all. I looked at Solidworks and have a local operator who may be willing to talk me through the first steps.

Will look into all other packages suggested and pick the one that suits.

Regards

Gareth

The OneCNC is a great cam program buy its self. I have used mastercam, gibscams, bobcam, and solidcam. SC is a ok program and works well with solidworks. Solidworks is the best CAD program out their bar none.

I've been running SolidWorks since it was Solidworks 97 (its SolidWorks 2009 now).

I've got my own license and it does everything I need.

And I probably don't even use 25% of it's capability.

But it is very intuitive and you can be up and running on basic stuff after about 30 minutes through a tutorial.

The problem is no system is really cheap. I have used solidworks and it is the best espically for 3D, next choice would would be AutoCad for a cad system. I also used mastercam and self taught a lot of it with the help of a manual which you can buy for all programs which help and some classes in Machine Tool. The problem is mastercam is not that great IMO I always had problems with trying to get it to work on machining surfaces and planes. It also is limited in comparsion on somethings that others do well. I have not yet used it but the guys at work seem to be happy with edgecam. I would start with a cad system first, you can always write out the code long hand and with the help of a cad system it is easy finding out all the geometery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Notthe best.. the best is Pro-E.. a CNC cam ProE package will run you $50K.. but it can and will do ANYTHING possible. </div></div>

Ok point taken. I just know that as a cad system SW is a great tool and can do anything you want if you only need to draw it. The CAM on the other hand is a way different story.

I have been using BobCAD-CAM for the last couple years and it has worked for me very very well.

I took a BobCAD class in KC and came out of it not knowing much. I took some good notes and as I was learning the machine I was using, my notes started making sence.

Most of my machine work is 2D, but I have been working with a lot of 3D parts lately. I am not having any trouble with it at all. The only trouble I had was setting up the post processor in the begining. I found myself making little changes here and there, but that was mostly due to my outdated equipment.

When I have spoke with others in the past about using BobCAD they didn't think much about it at all. After seeing what I was doing with it, they changed there mind a little.

I don't know that it is the software of choice for a large CNC shop (although I believe it could be used w/o issue), but I think it is the ticket for anyone just getting into CNC operations because it is easy on the wallet and offers a lot.

I phoned a shop that installed a CNC and bought the high end software. They were still having trouble getting up and going. I finially talked them into trying BobCad using one of my laptops and they were cutting parts in a matter of days. Today they use not only the BobCad but there other software as well. I had asked if they would quit using BobCAD and there responce was no.

I tried several CAD software packages and just a couple CAM packages. I would go with Solid Works and Master Cam if I couldn't use BobCAD. I have played with both, but for what I do, I just cannot justify the extra cash. I don't see the advantage in my shop.

FWIW

I can provide you with Solidworks with no problems, hawever is it your intent to do the post proccesing your self or send it out? I have a 3 axis program that I can't remember what it is but I know it's top notch. Let me know I'll burn you the CD's.

+1 on SolidWorks. Easy to learn and does everything I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEADHUNTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can provide you with Solidworks with no problems, hawever is it your intent to do the post proccesing your self or send it out? I have a 3 axis program that I can't remember what it is but I know it's top notch. Let me know I'll burn you the CD's. </div></div>

?

+1 on SW. Get the CamWorks to run as your path program. It interfaces with SW and even has an auto create tool path feature. A lot cheaper than MasterCam and easier. They just have to be the same same release or version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Headhunter..no pirate of this software is a good idea.. </div></div>

What i was thinking. Dont think they would take that to well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GibbScam is the pitts.. worst ever on the market bar none. You would be miles ahead to go with one cnc. I run Camworks inside of SW. Pricetag is high($18K or so) so unless u own a shop, look elsewhere. </div></div>

Everyone who's interested in CAD needs to take a look at this...

Solidworks Stimulus Package