• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cadex Defense feed troubles.

Mad

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2023
Pender Island
Good day,
I just bought a Cadex Defence CDX SS Pro 6.5 MM. rifle.
I'm having trouble feeding rounds. Seems I have to move the bolt forward pushing the round into the chamber until it jams part way in, then move the bolt back a bit and give the round a couple taps to get it seated, they eject well just not feed.
Cadex uses Accurate Mag magazines. I tried an American Rifle Company magazine, slightly better feeding but still not good. I also tried the Ruger AICS polymer magazine which just got two rounds lying in the action not feeding either.
I tried dummy rounds sized SAAMI spec, and some fired brass rounds sized to closely fit the camber, two thou shoulder bump and 15 thou off the lands. Same result with both. I need help, anyone have this problem with CADEX receivers and or rifles and find a cure they could tell me?
I will have to wait until the Cadex guys get back from SHOT SHOW to discuss it with them.
Thanks,
Al

Try this:

With one of these:

-Stan

Reactions: stefan73
Howdy, I watched the video and checked out my magazines.
The seem to be in the correct position in the mag well. The rounds are in at the correct angle and the case is at the correct level with just the area above the primer pocket showing.

I loaded up the Accurate Magazine and a American Rifle Company Mag. If I cycle the bolt very aggressively, fast and forceful, the rounds will feed.
Brass and bullets took a beating though. I tried it slowly, the bolt catches the case, pushes the round forward over the feed ramp in the front of the receiver and guides the point of the bullet into the back of the chamber. Moving ahead some more the neck contacts the ramp and moves toward the chamber. By this time there is about 1/4-3/8" of the case in the feed lips of the mag. Then the shoulder rides over the ramp and pops the round out of the lips. At this time the head of the case down on the follower and the bullet is sitting at an angle nose high. Moving the bolt forward more jams the round at an angle with the bullet touching the top of the chamber and the side of the case stuck against the mouth of the chamber. Now it almost looks like the barrel is too far forward or the bevel at the entrance of the chamber is too steep. But I checked the headspace with a new Peterson brass and its 3.5thou.
Al

Reactions: stanley_white
what type of projectiles are you using? are they seated long or short? Could definitely be a mag issue or could be a projectile issue too. MY cadex in 6.5x47L struggled with certain projectiles. I think its because their feed ramp is aggressive. I had a different action though

Is the barrel from Cadex or from another gunsmith? Down below is the link to a thread I started awhile back with the same issue. My gunsmith hadn't machined in the countersink and I wasted a long long time trying to adjust mags thinking that was the problem.

I spent about 25 hours screwing with it. The feed ramp in the action is really steep and the countersink in the barrel is as well.

I loaded up some dummy rounds that were Saami spec with new Peterson brass, some with fired brass (fired in my other 6.5CM) and sized down to be 2 thou shoulder bump and bullet ogive 20 thou off the lands, plus some of my rounds loaded for my other rifle. None would feed out of three different mags, yet all would feed out of all three mags in two other rifles.

I got fed up and sent it back for a refund. Too bad it's a great chassis and has a 26" Bartlein barrel, action was pretty slick to cycle as long as there wasn't a cartridge in it.

I bought the whole Cadex rifle, CDX SS SEVEN STAR PRO 26" 6.5 Creedmoor. Cadex uses Bartein single cut stainless heavy barrels in these rifles.
I was pretty excited when I got it a week ago, and pretty disappointed when I took it to the post office today. Seems almost everything I get these days takes a lot of screwing around to get it to function correctly. I'm on the lookout for something I can buy and shoot, without all the BS.

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions.
Al

Thanks, Stan.
Well I'm on the lookout for a single shot Barreled Action. Cadex has them listed in their catalog but when I inquired last month about getting a XDX30 barreled action chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, I was told they are currently only making the single shots in the CDX 40-50. I usually shoot single shot anyway. I don't even have the ejector in the bolt of my current rifle, I took it out and simply drop a round onto the follower of an American Rifle Company magazine and cycle the bolt closed then, after firing, open the bolt and take the case out of the action by hand and drop it back into the ammo box. Keeps the brass from getting lost, damaged and dirty. I wanted a single shot action to install into one of the Cadex or other manufacturer's chassis.

I'll find something I like.
Al

Thanks, Stan.
Well I'm on the lookout for a single shot Barreled Action. Cadex has them listed in their catalog but when I inquired last month about getting a XDX30 barreled action chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, I was told they are currently only making the single shots in the CDX 40-50. I usually shoot single shot anyway. I don't even have the ejector in the bolt of my current rifle, I took it out and simply drop a round onto the follower of an American Rifle Company magazine and cycle the bolt closed then, after firing, open the bolt and take the case out of the action by hand and drop it back into the ammo box. Keeps the brass from getting lost, damaged and dirty. I wanted a single shot action to install into one of the Cadex or other manufacturer's chassis.

I'll find something I like.
Al
I think Borden makes single shot Remington 700 pattern actions.

Thank you for that info. Unfortunately I do not live in the USA, getting anything firearms exported is almost impossible.
I had to sign an affidavit stating I would not sell legally or illegally or export, before I could get a rear bag out of the country. A rear bag for crying out loud.
Cadex is a Canadian company so I went there. the SS PRO didn't work out so I tried them for a single shot barreled receiver, but they are only making the large calibers at this time. There are others up here who make them but they all are out of stock or not producing now.

Thanks again.
Mad