• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cadex rebarreling

CST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2002
Md
I'm looking at a used cadex lite comp rifle. It may need a new barrel sometime in the future. Anyone know who can rebarrel cadex or would I have to ship back to them? Definitely not a prefit I could change myself?

I'm looking at a used cadex lite comp rifle. It may need a new barrel sometime in the future. Anyone know who can rebarrel cadex or would I have to ship back to them? Definitely not a prefit I could change myself?
I thought they keep all action specs on file and you just call up and the spin one up

@Shawn Bevins is the Cadex rep on the board. I’m sure he’ll have all of the answers.

He started this thread a while back:

@Shawn Bevins is the Cadex rep on the board. I’m sure he’ll have all of the answers.

He started this thread a while back:

I don't believe he's with Cadex anymore...

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
Any smith worth their salt can rebarrel. Also Cadex documents all their actions so you can order a replacement barrel that is headspaced thru them or one of their dealers.

Reactions: Cadex Defence
Also the R7 and STARS actions are REM 700 footprint. The CDX30, CDX300, and CDX33 are a proprietary action. Does the action have the safety on the bolt or REM 700 style? That should tell you quickly. All of their actions can use a REM 700 compatible trigger.

I would skip the cadex. They make nice rifles but their customer service is dogshit. They really are cattered to big institutional purchasers. After spending weeks not being able to order stuff I needed or getting tennon prints I asked like 5 times and was told they are on the way...I finally sold it and got something else.

Barrels were $1300 through cadex. Could have a top smith spin you one up for half of that, but you need prints and action wrench.

Many many months after I sold the rifle I got a call asking if I still wanted my order filled. This was like 8+ months later. I laughed and hung up on them. Amazed they can actually stay in business with CS that shitty.

I would skip the cadex. They make nice rifles but their customer service is dogshit. They really are cattered to big institutional purchasers. After spending weeks not being able to order stuff I needed or getting tennon prints I asked like 5 times and was told they are on the way...I finally sold it and got something else.

Barrels were $1300 through cadex. Could have a top smith spin you one up for half of that, but you need prints and action wrench.

Many many months after I sold the rifle I got a call asking if I still wanted my order filled. This was like 8+ months later. I laughed and hung up on them. Amazed they can actually stay in business with CS that shitty.
Hello

Might you PM me who you where talking too here at Cadex?
you are correct you need our action wrenches and the tenon drawings are on our website

if you scroll down you will see the link, we share all but the Kraken

looking forward to your PM

Hello

Might you PM me who you where talking too here at Cadex?
you are correct you need our action wrenches and the tenon drawings are on our website

if you scroll down you will see the link, we share all but the Kraken

looking forward to your PM
I spoke to everyone I could reach. Left messages and emails with most of the US sales staff listed on website. Got one call back and still couldn't get a bunch of answers (rebarreling, arca extensions, ect). Was told they would email me the tenon prints multiple times, and it never happened. It took weeks after trying to place an order through the website to even get a response, from Daryl Miller asking if I wanted to proceed. I did also get an email from Fracious but he never sent the prints i asked for. I had a CDX-33 based action , and everything i read said it was based on a 1.3" barrel.
I got a call many months later asking if I still wanted to place the order, so obviously something is jacked up with your system/process.

I would never recommend your products to anyone after that experience. After dropping $7K on a rifle, that is unacceptable. I really liked the rifle and engineering behind it, but if I cant get the shit needed to shoot it, then its worthless to me. Maybe its the culture up there, who knows. I got the feeling you guys don't care about non gov business. There are too many other good options that I can have to my door in a week or less and not waste hours trying to track people down to take my money.

I spoke to everyone I could reach. Left messages and emails with most of the US sales staff listed on website. Got one call back and still couldn't get a bunch of answers (rebarreling, arca extensions, ect). Was told they would email me the tenon prints multiple times, and it never happened. It took weeks after trying to place an order through the website to even get a response, from Daryl Miller asking if I wanted to proceed. I did also get an email from Fracious but he never sent the prints i asked for. I had a CDX-33 based action , and everything i read said it was based on a 1.3" barrel.
I got a call many months later asking if I still wanted to place the order, so obviously something is jacked up with your system/process.

I would never recommend your products to anyone after that experience. After dropping $7K on a rifle, that is unacceptable. I really liked the rifle and engineering behind it, but if I cant get the shit needed to shoot it, then its worthless to me. Maybe its the culture up there, who knows. I got the feeling you guys don't care about non gov business. There are too many other good options that I can have to my door in a week or less and not waste hours trying to track people down to take my money.
We are very sorry see this , One email to [email protected] would have had your drawings to you within 12 hours ( unless it was on a weekend)and the CDX33 action drawings are also on our site This is not the way we work and we do care about all of our customers

Where did you buy your rifle? This is common stuff that your dealer should have been able to get for you...

Also, Google fu is your friend. Takes about 2 minutes to track down the tenon drawing for any of the actions.

I know, I know AI, Cadex, Barrett, they are all shit and the only route is custom actions for the PRS world. The only problem is that everybody doesn't let PRS drive every decision they make and want what they want.

@CST , Cadex is an excellent product and company. If you want it, get it you won't be sorry.

Reactions: 308pirate
Also, Google fu is your friend. Takes about 2 minutes to track down the tenon drawing for any of the actions.

I know, I know AI, Cadex, Barrett, they are all shit and the only route is custom actions for the PRS world. The only problem is that everybody doesn't let PRS drive every decision they make and want what they want.

@CST , Cadex is an excellent product and company. If you want it, get it you won't be sorry.

Not to get in the middle of this fight, but I do remember a time when the tennon prints weren't made available to the public, and the only source for barrels was Cadex. Eventually they changed that.

Am I wrong?

Not to get in the middle of this fight, but I do remember a time when the tennon prints weren't made available to the public, and the only source for barrels was Cadex. Eventually they changed that.

Am I wrong?
I believe that is only for the Kraken which uses their quick change

ETA: Their other actions (not the CT or BMG sizes) use a 1 1/16" -18 thread on the tenon which I believe is standard Remington

Last edited:
I owned a sheepdog action sometime ago. I know IBI makes pre fit barrels for them. I just got the prints from Caden and had my gunsmith spin one up for me.

Am I wrong?
Exactly, this was over a year ago and they were NOT on the website.

They were also charging over $1300 for replacement barrels at the time. No wonder people were not lining up to buy them. Highway robbery.

Some people don't let facts get in the way of running their mouth.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Long Range 338

Who the fuck said anything about PRS? You think people are buying a 338LM or 300NM to shoot PRS? If you want to sling shit and make an argument, at least try to stay on topic.

The prints were NOT available at the time, I had been to every corner of their website (both of them) and even spoken with them on the phone where they confirmed they have prints (or dimensions) for each action so they can do prefits. Why would they have specific dimensions for each serial number if they all use the same tenon prints? You can either make a prefit from the standard drawings or you can't. If there is no standard and dimensional tolerance, its not a prefit action. This was early 2022.

My experience is they have horrendous customer service, make you jump through hurdles to order simple parts and don't give a flying fuck about non gov customers, and if you look at how their company is structured and what they do, you would realize that gov sales are their forte. If they did, it wouldn't take over a year for someone to actually come out and apologize. They make a good product but if I cant get parts or accessories or basic customer support, then they are worthless. I can call Barret or MH/AI and get someone on the phone today, or order anything they have in stock, Today. If I of all people am sitting here defending AI, that tells you how bad the comparison must be.

The OP can decide if he wants to buy into them or not after all this. Nothing else to be said at this point.

Who the fuck said anything about PRS? You think people are buying a 338LM or 300NM to shoot PRS? If you want to sling shit and make an argument, at least try to stay on topic.

The prints were NOT available at the time, I had been to every corner of their website (both of them) and even spoken with them on the phone where they confirmed they have prints (or dimensions) for each action so they can do prefits. Why would they have specific dimensions for each serial number if they all use the same tenon prints? You can either make a prefit from the standard drawings or you can't. If there is no standard and dimensional tolerance, its not a prefit action. This was early 2022.

My experience is they have horrendous customer service, make you jump through hurdles to order simple parts and don't give a flying fuck about non gov customers, and if you look at how their company is structured and what they do, you would realize that gov sales are their forte. If they did, it wouldn't take over a year for someone to actually come out and apologize. They make a good product but if I cant get parts or accessories or basic customer support, then they are worthless. I can call Barret or MH/AI and get someone on the phone today, or order anything they have in stock, Today. If I of all people am sitting here defending AI, that tells you how bad the comparison must be.

The OP can decide if he wants to buy into them or not after all this. Nothing else to be said at this point.
Well I have been here since early 2021 and the only drawings we do not share is the Kraken

the drawings have been around since we started building actions only for customers wanting profiles/twists and calibers we do not offer

One email to Customerservice and you would have had your drawings. and we do care about all of our customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Islas82
Well I have been here since early 2021 and the only drawings we do not share is the Kraken

the drawings have been around since we started building actions only for customers wanting profiles/twists and calibers

One email to Customerservice and you would have had your drawings. and we do care about all of our customers.
Did you not read what I said? I had emailed and called just about every one of the sales members on the website. Francious was the only one who got back to me, and that was about a military discount. I asked repeatedly, and gave my email for them to send the prints, which never came. Multiple people told me on the phone, they would send them. They Never did. This is beating a dead horse at this point, but saying you will do something and actually doing it are not the same thing. Cadex has "told" me they were going to do lots. They never did until it was too late. There is no point in dragging this out any longer, the OP can decide if he wants to buy into a cadex or something else at this point.

Who ALWAYS frames everything in the sense of PRS? Who the f--k mentioned anything about 338LM or 300NM?

Project much?

Please show me where you addressed the OP's original questions, not where you just ranted. If you wonder why your advice is not taken with much weight, I would refer you to the last year of your posts. Take a step back, get some perspective, and take the douchebaggery down several notches.....

OP, apologies for the derail of the thread but if you review the history of our distinguished @DeathBeforeDismount you will see this type of behavior is standard response for anything he is not a fan of. You will find the Cadex product to be a very well made product and it is seeing more and more availability for prefit barrels, it has been a slow advance for sure.

Certainly I am a fanboy of Cadex as I own several. I am also a fanboy of AI and other brands as well. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions and don't want to deal with the drama.

I'm out.....

Last edited:

Who ALWAYS frames everything in the sense of PRS? Who the f--k mentioned anything about 338LM or 300NM?

Project much?

Please show me where you addressed the OP's original questions, not where you just ranted. If you wonder why your advice is not taken with much weight, I would refer you to the last year of your posts. Take a step back, get some perspective, and take the douchebaggery down several notches.....

OP, apologies for the derail of the thread but if you review the history of our distinguished @DeathBeforeDismount you will see this type of behavior is standard response for anything he is not a fan of. You will find the Cadex product to be a very well made product and it is seeing more and more availability for prefit barrels, it has been a slow advance for sure.

Certainly I am a fanboy of Cadex as I own several. I am also a fanboy of AI and other brands as well. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions and don't want to deal with the drama.

I'm out.....

Oh so your preconceived notions of what you think I'm thinking about? Learn to read before you speak. Making assumptions makes you an ass.

Who mentioned 338/300nm? Me. If you knew what a cx33 action is you would understand but again you want to try to sound smarter than you are. Details matter, so try and keep up.

I shared first hand experience dealing with cadex. You say go through their dealers....dealers who don't stock 95% of what they offer in their categlog/website. Big brains move there.

You freely admit you are a fan Boi. How many cadex barrels have you burned out and replaced? Or are you just a another Chad who buys expensive shit and never uses it then goes on the internet to spew superiority bullshit about something you don't even run.

Do yourself a favor and keep your mouth shut next time.

LOL

Oh so your preconceived notions of what you think I'm thinking about? Learn to read before you speak. Making assumptions makes you an ass.

Who mentioned 338/300nm? Me. If you knew what a cx33 action is you would understand but again you want to try to sound smarter than you are. Details matter, so try and keep up.

I shared first hand experience dealing with cadex. You say go through their dealers....dealers who don't stock 95% of what they offer in their categlog/website. Big brains move there.

You freely admit you are a fan Boi. How many cadex barrels have you burned out and replaced? Or are you just a another Chad who buys expensive shit and never uses it then goes on the internet to spew superiority bullshit about something you don't even run.

Do yourself a favor and keep your mouth shut next time.

LOL
You know not of that which you speak.

If it wasn't for the barrel availability a Kraken would be the only rifle I would own. I sometimes travel to teach and to have only one gun to take through airport security that I could set up in the field for whatever class I was teaching would be great for when I'm going between cities or teaching more than one class. Problem is I'm very particular about my barrels not just on chamber but on length and twist as well. I like to get exactly what I want and that doesn't always fit with what they stock. It's unfortunate since as ingenious as the barrel change system is, as far as I can tell it's just a regular shouldered barrel with three notches cut into the chamber end to engage the splines on the torque tool. Too bad they can’t get the headspace tolerance close enough on the regular actions to use pre fits. They use recoil lugs with a +/- .001 thickness to set headspace. I will say this about them, their customer service is unreal. Last year I contacted them to get a cost on getting my chassis refinished because it hadn't held up as well as I would have hoped. They not only replaced the chassis, they let me pick a new color as well. Even paid for me to ship it back to them.

If it wasn't for the barrel availability a Kraken would be the only rifle I would own. I sometimes travel to teach and to have only one gun to take through airport security that I could set up in the field for whatever class I was teaching would be great for when I'm going between cities or teaching more than one class. Problem is I'm very particular about my barrels not just on chamber but on length and twist as well. I like to get exactly what I want and that doesn't always fit with what they stock. It's unfortunate since as ingenious as the barrel change system is, as far as I can tell it's just a regular shouldered barrel with three notches cut into the chamber end to engage the splines on the torque tool. Too bad they can’t get the headspace tolerance close enough on the regular actions to use pre fits. They use recoil lugs with a +/- .001 thickness to set headspace. I will say this about them, their customer service is unreal. Last year I contacted them to get a cost on getting my chassis refinished because it hadn't held up as well as I would have hoped. They not only replaced the chassis, they let me pick a new color as well. Even paid for me to ship it back to them.
Youve piqued my curiosity on the Kraken, I’m going to have to watch the how to video to refresh my memory, I recall a different setup…. The headspacing method using recoil lug thickness is a unique method to set headspace exactly where they want it. I would wager their tolerances are very good as there are a few prefit options out there. It takes time and documenting a certain quantity of actions for the guys that offer prefits to arrive at a comfort level they are willing to support.

Glad to hear you had a great customer experience, mine has been the same. My only complaint is the lead times but you know that going in.

Youve piqued my curiosity on the Kraken, I’m going to have to watch the how to video to refresh my memory, I recall a different setup…. The headspacing method using recoil lug thickness is a unique method to set headspace exactly where they want it. I would wager their tolerances are very good as there are a few prefit options out there. It takes time and documenting a certain quantity of actions for the guys that offer prefits to arrive at a comfort level they are willing to support.

Glad to hear you had a great customer experience, mine has been the same. My only complaint is the lead times but you know that going in.

Actually the Kraken is the only one that has a fixed head space and can take prefit barrels. It's the other actions like the R7 and the CDX 33 that use the recoil lugs to headspace.

Actually the Kraken is the only one that has a fixed head space and can take prefit barrels. It's the other actions like the R7 and the CDX 33 that use the recoil lugs to headspace.
Yes I’m aware of the R7 using recoil lug thickness. I’m not aware of anyone else using it as a headspace method.

My comment on the Kraken was meant to be separate from the recoil lug topic, using a mobile doesn’t help with clarity, LOL

Thanks for your input it is appreciated