• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cadex Sheepdog misfeeds in ACC

Rodder

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2021
Ontario
After waiting several months to have a hawkhill barrel (.308) installed on a Cadex sheepdog action i was pretty dissapointed to find out it wouldn't feed from the MDT magazines I had. Although I've been shooting for a few years now, this is my first action that isn't a Remington 700 so I've never had feeding issues before.

I contacted Cadex who told me it was an issue with my MDT mag and to call them. I then called MDT who asked me to send pictures and videos to them. After reviewing the videos they told me to open up the feed lips.

I bought a feed lip adjustment tool and calipers, and after watching some videos I still can't get this thing to feed. Best case scenario I can only load 5 rounds and even then it's only reliable about 80% of the time. I've tried magpul mags as well and am having the same issue.

I'm hoping someone here has used a Sheepdog in an ACC before and can advise what mags or feed lip gap I should be using. The odd thing is a friend of mine has a sheepdog in a KRG x ray chassis and has had zero feeding issues with several MDT mags.

Attachments

• 20210303_120928.jpg
    20210303_120928.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 89
Looks like the round is hitting the barrel face from the picture. I can see where they would suggest opening the feed lips to see if the round tip would come up higher. Is the mag sitting to low with respect to the action?

The links below go to videos showing the problem. The round touches the top of the feed ramp and then goes straight into the bottom of the barrel. Opening the feed lips helps with that but I have to position the top round in the mag with the tip pointed up and even then it's unreliable. If I load more than 5 it either misfeeds or can't hold the rounds in the mag. This weekend I'll be putting my barreled action in an X ray chassis to rule out it being an action or barrel issue.

I've played with lowering the mag height as the videos my friend has sent me of him cycling his sheepdog show his mags sitting much lower, but I still end up with the round hitting the barrel face. I could always contact MDT again and see if they have a higher mag catch if that is a thing.

If I tweak anything it's usually just the front of the feedlips so the round can tilt up more as it leaves the magazine. I leave the back 80% of the feed lips alone. It looks like your round isn't getting the nose up when it hits the feed ramp, it pushes the back end down. Opening the front of the feed lips *should* fix it.

The magazine shouldn't have to ride lower. It should be able to go 100% flush with the action and still feed perfectly.

I removed my mag catch yesterday and spent some time feeding rounds at different heights but kept having feeding failures. Lte82 when opening up the feed lips before I was starting around half way so I'll give it a try this weekend with your 80/20 approach and see if that changes anything.

Thesepaperwings you're likely seeing the round hit the feed ramp and stop because I'm slowly cycling it.

Reactions: lte82
I removed my mag catch yesterday and spent some time feeding rounds at different heights but kept having feeding failures. Lte82 when opening up the feed lips before I was starting around half way so I'll give it a try this weekend with your 80/20 approach and see if that changes anything.

Thesepaperwings you're likely seeing the round hit the

A couple updates for those that are interested or may be experiencing a similar issue. A friend of mine was speaking with someone who had worked for Cadex in the past and they mentioned that the chamber may not have been cut properly. They referred me to the tenon spec sheet below

1615769595715.png

Dimension B and C are the ones to pay attention to here. I was able to compare my rifle to another sheepdog today and confirmed that mine is missing the countersink in the chamber area. That countersink is what allows his to feed properly, and why mine keeps jamming despite playing with mag height and feed lips. Below is a video showing his bullet tip sliding up the countersink before popping out of the mag. My barrel was put on by a very reputable gunsmith who must have missed this. I've reached out to them and hope they make things right.

Reactions: lte82
Haven't had the issues you have seen on the two Sheepdogs I have owned. But used them in Manners and KRG Whiskey 3 chassis and did not have issues like you described. Hope you get it all squared away.

Edit. Looks like you may have found your issue.