• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship caffeine and shooting???

wksinatl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
Does drinking coffee or a couple Mt Dews affect YOUR shooting vs. no caffeine at all?

Silly assed question I know....but just wondering.

Keith

Re: caffeine and shooting???

Do what you do normaly. If you drink a pot of coffee in the morning everyday it would be a bad thing to have none, probably worse than drinking too much.

Cheers,

Doc

Yes, it effects me when I shoot. I normally drink 2 large cups each morning. When I go shoot or have a match, I don't drink anything with caffeine in it. My heart beat comes through the rifle sometimes, and I have trouble keeping the cross hairs perfectly still when I have had coffee. I do a lot of load development shooting groups, so I need to be pin point accurate with each shot. This is when I notice caffeine the most.
Plus, I get excited right before I shoot, and I have to keep pissing like a race horse (what can I say, I like to shoot)!

I've talked about this with other shooters and some, like Doc said, don't change up their routine and drink coffee. So, I guess it just depends on how it effects you.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/25JggjRMkCo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/25JggjRMkCo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Red bull rocks when I shoot

When I shot competitively in college I would lay off caffeine for the season. That being said of all the factors that go into precision shooting, I would consider caffeine intake to be a low priority.

Its funny for IPSC and three gun I would load up on caffine, nothing like a chocolate poptart and Dr. Pepper for breakfast!!

For precision shooting I need all the help I can get and stay away from stimulants.

If i have some espresso before going to the range I can forget precision for that day, too jittery to hold steady. If I'm planning a range trip I'll avoid stimulants the day before and the day of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do what you do normaly. If you drink a pot of coffee in the morning everyday it would be a bad thing to have none, probably worse than drinking too much.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Consistancy is Accuracy. If your a coffee drinker, then drink coffee. If I dont have caffine in the morning I get a headache. If you normally do it, and you can shoot well, than keep doin it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do what you do normaly. If you drink a pot of coffee in the morning everyday it would be a bad thing to have none, probably worse than drinking too much.
</div></div>

That's been my experience as well. I'm a pot a day kinda guy and would be more of a wreck without. Now if you want to get serious weaning oneself off all the bad stimulants would be a good idea.

Too bad smoking on the line is frowned on, been a while since I shot a match with a smoke in my weak hand........

Once I make AAA in all my silhouette categories I am going to be quitting the smokes. They definately affect that game for me and hinder me from top performance.

article I wrote for USAS..... Probably stuff you already know, but a good read.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Effects of Alcohol, Coffee, Tobacco and Drugs on Shooting</span></span>

The habitual use of alcohol, coffee, tobacco and various drugs is harmful to the average person and in no way promotes better body function or better shooting. Any drug which causes the body organs to perform their work at greater rates than normal, fatigues them sooner and causes them to age more rapidly. Much has been written and said both pro and con concerning the habitual use of alcohol, coffee, tobacco, drugs, and their temporary and permanent effects on the human body, both mental and physical. Although all shooters are not in agreement that complete abstinence by habitual users is the solution, all will agree that these agents will in no way help to improve shooting performance or scores. The top shooters in the nation today unanimously agree that control is the most important factor in becoming a top competitor. Control can best be explained as the coordination of mental and physical effort, born in thought and culminating in a concentrated, precise action. This effort must be natural, unstrained, and smooth flowing.

What can you the shooter do about sustaining control? When you find yourself having difficulty in maintaining your shot groups in the center of the target, you analyze and make corrections. Sometime when control is declining, analysis may pinpoint some cause other than faulty technique in employment of the fundamentals. What did you have for breakfast? Two cups of coffee and two cigarettes are enough to ruin anyone's control. Whatever the reasons, they should be noted in your shooting journal just as you would enter unusual conditions at a match. In a short period of time, if you are honest with yourself, you will be able to piece together enough information upon which to take remedial action.

Contrary to popular belief, alcohol acts as a depressant rather than a stimulant. It dulls the senses, lessens the desire to win, destroys coordination, and lessens the shooter's ability to concentrate. Alcohol taken at the proper time and in the proper amounts might possibly lessen the shooter's anxiety, but by doing so, other effects are released that are far more harmful to the body and detrimental to the shooter's score. No one can say what the right amount is, or when it should be taken. Some shooters may shoot a good score with a hangover. But, the second day is when the after effects become acutely noticeable, and the shooter's control may disintegrate on the firing line.

Many coffee drinkers say they cannot do without it as a pick-me-up during the day. But let us see what really happens after that coffee break. Dr. Rolf Ulrich, in his book Coffee and Caffeine, reports that after coffee consumption, mental tempo rises first and speeds of association increases, but there is a noticeable decrease in the quality of work being done. In test examinations, it was seen that the subjects finished quicker, but that false conclusions were more frequent. Reliability and accuracy definitely took a beating as a result of a coffee pep-up. Are you considering a change of pace drink, like tea? Before you do, consider this: It is not generally known that tea has large amounts of caffeine and tannic acid. The general effects of caffeine are cerebral, cardiac and diuretic (copious urination) stimulation. As to tannic acid, tea leaves have about ten percent, while coffee berries have only about five percent content. Tannic acid, when brought into contact with mucous membrane, acts as an astringent and diminishes its secretions. It coagulates albuminous substance and thus hardens animal source food matter in the stomach with which it comes in contact. A shooter should also stay away from the caffeinated colas. Caffeinated cola drinks, in addition to other caffeinated soft drinks, contain that well known perk-up ingredient, caffeine. The bottles of some brands contain a listing of cola contents which should serve as a reminder. Know them and avoid them while shooting.

Cigarette smoking should be avoided at all costs. Simply explained it affects the body by initially, slowing the pulse rate, increasing the pulse rate, increasing blood pressure and overworking the heart, reducing the oxygen capacity of the blood, causing shortness of breath, bringing on fatigue more quickly and decreases visual activity. The combined effects of nicotine and carbon monoxide explain why the shooter must avoid smoking if he is to shoot with the greater possible skill. The top competition today does not allow a margin of indulgence if you expect to win. Any shooter, whose goal is to become the best, must make a total commitment to this goal. Smoking is an obstacle to this goal. Can the shooter afford obstacles such as this?

Some shooters, no doubt, prescribe certain remedies for themselves when they have a cold, a stopped-up nose or a headache. Here are some of the effects of the drugs found in these and other preparations. Most of the effects are not conducive to good shooting. Most drugs are habit-forming and all are a deterrent to good health, if used frequently without proper medical advice. A depressant slows reflexes, lessens the desire to win, promotes carelessness, and causes loss of concentration and coordination. A stimulant causes nervousness, hypertension, increases heartbeat, excessive movement of the hands, and trembling. Drugs affect different people in different ways, so dosage would be a problem even if they did any good toward reducing anxiety, nervousness, etc. Anytime medication or drugs are used that affect the body functions, there is a chance that the side effects will do more harm than good to the shooters performance.
There is no substitute for good clean living, and a healthy body. Commit yourself and your shooting to doing everything you can to accomplish your goals.

I drink coffee every morning.

Bad things occur if I don't. I walk around all day with a friggin headache.

It probably isn't the best thing to snort and eightball before you shoot, but a cup of joe isn't going to make a hit a miss.

If you don't drink coffee then no Triple Espresso's for you before getting on the gun line. If you do, then don't stop before a shoot.

I have weened myself off of coffee before when I knew I would not be able to get my daily fix. It sucks and I pick it back up as soon as I am back to civilized life. It's my only vice. I don't even really drink alcohol, but coffee and tea (in the evening) make life a little more enjoyable.

+1 . Nobody doubts that caffine is not the best thing for you. So, if you dont normaly have caffine and a smoke before you shoot, dont do it!! But, if its a normal occurance then you aint gonna suffer from the shakes, and youll shoot just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drink coffee every morning.

Bad things occur if I don't. I walk around all day with a friggin headache.

It probably isn't the best thing to snort and eightball before you shoot, but a cup of joe isn't going to make a hit a miss.

If you don't drink coffee then no Triple Espresso's for you before getting on the gun line. If you do, then don't stop before a shoot.

I have weened myself off of coffee before when I knew I would not be able to get my daily fix. It sucks and I pick it back up as soon as I am back to civilized life. It's my only vice. I don't even really drink alcohol, but coffee and tea (in the evening) make life a little more enjoyable. </div></div>

I must agree 100% I am the same way. I need about two hours of no coffee to keep the shooting from turning sloppy. If I go without I feel like shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does drinking coffee or a couple Mt Dews affect YOUR shooting vs. no caffeine at all?

Keith </div></div>

None! Unless it has some Jack Daniels in it.

If you think caffeine affects your shooting and you choose NOT to have caffeine - I pity you, ESPECIALLY when someone with a brake or a 223 shoots on the line next to you and your eye starts pounding from the shock wave as the migrane from lack of caffeine hits you.
Do that in addition to a hang over and - well - why waste the ammo!!???

I did that once at one of the Paul Bunyan championships - shit I was sending someone out for straight shots of espresso to get back in my swing....didn't help. Never drink the night before a match, that messes me up BADDDDD

Shakey's post is right on.

Just because your body is used to stimulants doesn't mean you shoot better with them. I'd be willing to bet anyone that is a smoker or a caffeine drinker if they stopped, and gave their body enough time to adjust to that new baseline they'd see improvement in their scores. Problem is the first day they try and they get a headache and are shaky they think they "need" the stimulant and it "helps" them. Most drug addicts are the same.

Of course if you are a coffee drinker or smoker and you stop the day before a shoot you are going to suffer, welcome to the effects of withdrawal symptoms. Heroine addicts are more functional high than they are in withdrawls but you don't see anyone promoting heroine helps their shooting. It's also the dumbest argument for saying that caffeine or smoking does not effect your shooting negatively.

Then again being physically fit is important in the shooting sports as well but how many overweight guys that are out of breath just getting their gear to the line or look like they could have a mini heart attack after running a stage do you see, lots.

When was the last time you saw a fat, smoking, coffee drinking olympic caliber shooter.....you haven't because they don't exist. At that level being in the best health you can be is just assumed to part of the success equation.

I've watched Shawn McKenna carry around bags of Doritos and a suitcase of Dr. Pepper as he shot day long matches. He switched from that to basically an IV drip of Red Bull.

The people you can count on beating in competition are the ones that choose to change their daily routine just for a match.

Hello All,

I am not a very regular guy on here and I apologize for that however I don't really have much to offer on Tactical shooting as I have not been able to get into it yet (due to money issues).

I used to shoot while drinking both Dr. Pepper and Red Bull in no short supply, I would drink on average of 12-18 Dr. Pepper's a day with a mix of at least 6 Red Bulls, this is either during a match or just a regular day. I got really sick at Camp Perry in 2007 and had to be rushed to the hospital, the Dr. gave me some meds that could not be mixed with Caffeine, so in short I had to stop cold turkey,I thought for sure I was in trouble. I have since not had a drop of Caffeine and to date never seen any type of withdraw, in fact I went on to place 3rd in the Service Rifle Nationals that year.

Jumping ahead to now, I have not seen any increase of performance without the caffeine, however it is cheaper for me, LOL.

I have no doubt that if I started to drink Dr. Peppers again tomorrow I would shoot the same scores as I do today.

Shawn

I'm all about slamming some 5 hour energy drinks before I got shoot. Redbull, Monster, Amp and most of the other energy drinks make me sleepy. Too much sugar I guess.

Coffee makes me shake. No caffeine for 3 days before a shoot for me. I broke
that rule this weekend. It was a three day rendezvous and I thought the scored
matches were over on Sat. I drank coffee Sunday morning and we had a head to
head speed shoot that morning. I got stomped after placing 5th in the two saturday
matches. So it varies for all of us it seems.

Ok- I drank coffee (a little less than normal) this morning before I went to shoot just because you guys said to keep it consistant. Well, I had the shakes and my heart beat was coming through the scope. I would lighten my grip to almost nothing, and would still bounce to my heart beat slightly. So, I am convinced (for me personally) I can not drink coffee before I shoot. I still shot ok, but I am much more steady without drinking coffee before I shoot. So, I'm sold on not drinking it!

So when your running from stage to stage at a match, the lack of coffee (or Cokes and smokes in my case) will prevent your heart beat from being witnessed?

I think if your a BR shooter, that type so shit matters, but not too many BR'ers are running from spot to spot, to fire 5-15 shots, then again, all day.

When you have to run from the 200 yard rapid fire stage, to the 1000 yard fire stage, in 100 degree heat, sweating your balls off, sweat in your eyes, breathing hard from humping your 20 lbs of gear/water, your 18lb rifle, you can thank god when you lay down to a perfectly still sight picture that you didnt have any caffine that morning.
crazy.gif

This entire discussion is retarded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This entire discussion is retarded. </div></div>
LOL! Most of my shooting (not during a match) is testing loads and shooting groups. So, I guess you would call it more benchrest type shooting in the prone position. This is where I see the results of drinking caffeine the most.

In your example, I don't think it matters either way on that type of stage. But, almost every (if not all) tactical/sniper matches start out first thing with a cold bore shot laying prone, all nice and calm. And what do a lot of people do in the morning just before you start shooting- drink coffee. So, coffee/caffeine will effect my nerves when shooting. I see it in the scope and can tell a big difference when I have had it and when I have not had it. Your results may vary.

.....my body is a temple

with that in mind, i only try to feed it the finest and freshest....so i use fresh custom roasted coffee beans.....which more importantly gets me a great bowel movement......

a good bowel movement is highly under-rated

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok- I drank coffee (a little less than normal) this morning before I went to shoot just because you guys said to keep it consistant. Well, I had the shakes and my heart beat was coming through the scope. I would lighten my grip to almost nothing, and would still bounce to my heart beat slightly. So, I am convinced (for me personally) I can not drink coffee before I shoot. I still shot ok, but I am much more steady without drinking coffee before I shoot. So, I'm sold on not drinking it! </div></div>

LOL!! so that's what you were doing when you shot my rifle!!!!

I drink 2 NOS energy drinks a day, I think its a toss up to whatever is worse: the minor withdrawal symptoms from not having the caffeine or the "jitters" from having it. Most of the time I try to have fun when I'm shooting so I do what I normally do. Just my .02

im all jacked up on mt dew. ill come at you like a spider monkey...
seriously tho i think having a lizard like low blood pressure that comes from keeping fit i.e. weight training is probably conducive to better shooting and if yer not used to a caffiene buzz that can negatively impact this lizard like stability in your position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....my body is a temple

with that in mind, i only try to feed it the finest and freshest....so i use fresh custom roasted coffee beans.....which more importantly gets me a great bowel movement......

a good bowel movement is highly under-rated </div></div>

laugh.gif
HILARIOUS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....my body is a temple

a good bowel movement is highly under-rated</div></div>
Hey BoltRipper I think you need to get your colon checked out. It may be broke. When I drink coffee, I just have to pee......Alot!! I never have to crap after a cup of joe....... Now after a good breakfast........Thats when the crapper, sings my song.......Hahaha..SmokeRolls

ok seriously if you don't have to crap after your morning joe then you might want to try stronger joe. try a nice starbucks french roast and wow now thats a colon cleaning. enjoy it you will feel lighter on your feet and ready for the day.

I never have to crap after my morning joe. Used to drink a quad breve for breakfast. Didn't do that to me in the morning.

Caffine can give me the jitters on a very empty stomach. A quad shoot breve.

Sometimes it relaxes me, like warm milk I guess.

The fun part about this sport. To many variables to make a set equation work. Lots of awarness and practice add to an art of doing it right.

Grandessa German Roast (100% Arabica, from Aldi's), brewed strong. Two oversized cups each morning with milk and sugar.

It's how my day begins, etc. Some of us need a good substantial stomp in the chest to get it started in the morning. Without it I spend ten minutes dithering over which shoelace to tie first...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grandessa German Roast (100% Arabica, from Aldi's), brewed strong. Two oversized cups each morning with milk and sugar.

It's how my day begins, etc. Some of us need a good substantial stomp in the chest to get it started in the morning. Without it I spend ten minutes dithering over which shoelace to tie first...</div></div>

HMMMMM! Are you bringing the coffee Sat.? I'll bring donuts.

Greg Langelius *:It's how my day begins, etc. Some of us need a good substantial stomp in the chest to get it started in the morning. Without it I spend ten minutes dithering over which shoelace to tie first... [/quote]
I so agree with this....I always tell people that I need an IV of strong coffee in the morning just to get a heartbeat...SmokeRolls

+1 on what most have said about following the normal course of action, if you usually drink coffee before you shoor, then drink coffee, mtn dew, etc.

Your blood pressure and pulse rate are impacted by your physical condition, those 2 factors impact your trigger ability. If your body is used to caffiene before you shoot and it does not have it, your shooting will be negatively impacted.

I drink quite a bit of caffeine, and I think in normal amounts it doesn't bother my shooting much at all. I don't drink enough that if I don't get my cokes or dr. pepper's for the day I have headaches, but I drink quite a bit. I have noticed that drinking larger amounts than usual caffine REALLY messes with me trying to shoot small groups in load testing. I once drank 2 of the really tall .99 Arizona sweet teas before I went to shoot. I noticed that my eyes seemed to focus just a little differently, not quite how they do when "unstimulated". It's hard to explain, but I didn't shoot worth a damn. It didn't feel like it was before I was shakey or jittery, but more because it effected the very fine motor skills of my eyes, almost like my eyes had nystagmus. Oh well, that's just my experience.

As many of you I feel that keeping a constant amount of caffeine in your system is better than leaving it off from a shooting day. However I do believe that the best results are achieved when you have rested and when you are not as depended of caffeine.

Coffee is available everywhere in Finland and it is at least twice as strong as normal American coffee.(Yes I have worked in US so I think I now). Having coffee for Fins is about the same as beer for Germans.

I before drank about 8 cups of strong coffee a day. At those days of if I tried to be totally out of coffee the morning was usually ok. But in the afternoon I got a headache. Having a headache definitively made shooting hard. On military drills I usually never have the chance to drink the amounts of coffee that my body was used to so I cut down on my coffee drinking to about 4cups a day. These headache symptoms always went away on the second day but still I taught the headache plus the fact that caffeine is diuretic are things to get rid off. Having to urinate to much is not good for concealment in either hunting or military activity. While on the move you are losing to much liquids if you are a heavy user of caffeine.

Still I must say that I have never felt that drinking coffee has negatively effected my shooting. However as I subscribed being addicted to something makes you weaker. Being without it makes you do worse as you did with it. It might actually help you if you are tired and need to shoot accurately. I these cases it makes you senses more aware.

All in all. Reasonable amounts of caffeine is not a thing to be worried about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is how i roll...............

http://www.tomascoffee.com/stuff.html </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">DO NOT</span> drink this coffee if you don't want to spend the morning at the house, then the rest of the day with the caffeine shakes. I'm tellin ya, it's GOOD, REAL GOOD! But man it packs a punch if you are not used to it.
That coffee was the cat's ass Bolt!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does drinking coffee or a couple Mt Dews affect YOUR shooting vs. no caffeine at all?

Keith </div></div>

People laugh but ask the guys that shoot with me. I kick off with a 12oz can of Red Bull or if its a really rough AM it is the green can of Monster.

If you are accostomed to using caffeine, it is not a problem
If you are addicted and do not have it, you will experience withdrawl which WILL hurt your shooting..usually such smyptoms come about 4 days after total cessation of caffeine..headache, loss of concentration, depression...by 10 days after no caffeine you are over it.