• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cajun boys, have a seat. I’ve got questions

PinesAndProjectiles

Formerly MinnesotaMulisha
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2013
    Solid Ground
    I stumbled across some Frenchy’s Creole Rice Dressing.

Being an uneducated, Yankee from North of the Mason Dixon line, I’ve got questions.

This company also makes Boudin, which I really like.

The ingredients of the Boudin and the Dressing are the same.

Can I cook the dressing, put it on a Saltine and eat with tobasco the same way?

Or should I do something different?
    IMG_1555.jpeg

Don’t ask the question, just do it. One thing you learn early on is how to cook and most of the time it’s without any recipes. What ever you have, cook it and put it on something.

And not mashed potatoes.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: Maggot

Being an uneducated, Yankee from North of the Mason Dixon line, I’ve got questions.

View attachment 8305455
    I’m from Louisiana and have never seen that before in my life.

Last edited:
    Reactions: ACard and Keeper22
    I would do what you said👍. Sounds delicious. I love boudin and cook it all different ways. Good every time👍

If you get anything from the Mamou, Ville Platte, Eunice, Church Point areas, you can’t go wrong.

Last edited:
    If you guys eat smoked sausage, this is pretty much THE best store-bought smoked sausage. Awesome in gumbo, red beans & rice, or just grilled and eaten in a sausage roll:

That’s way more expensive than what we pay locally, but was about the only place I could find that ships it.

Billy’s, that got linked by @ACard up above, would be where I’d buy store-bought boudin from out of state. We usually make it though. And there’s boudin rouge (some call it boudin noir), too. You’ll never see it in a store though because it’s got pig’s blood in it.

View attachment 8305455
    Boudreaux say reed de pakaje, it be speltin "CREOLE." Creole ain't CAJUN ya dum Yankee. 🙄 An red anna wite boudin ain't da sam as andouille or tasso. Ow youse geaux no bout maken nutra or coon sauspecou if ya want no red writin or writ reedin? Eh!

Boudreaux say reed de pakaje, it be speltin "CREOLE." Creole ain't CAJUN ya dum Yankee. 🙄 A red anna wite boudin ain't da sam as andouille or tasso. Ow youse geaux no bout maken nutra or coon sauspecou if ya want no red writin or writ reedin? Eh!
    The package doesn’t say. Says cook to internal temp of 165.

So how else does one eat boudin?

Other than on a cracker with tobasco?
    In gumbo, smoked, bbq’ed, on bread, jambalaya, duck and turnips, rabbit gravy, used as stuffing for duck, turkey, goose, pork chops, puldo gizzards and the list is endless.

Oh and Louisiana hot sauce not tobasco.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    I've never found anything marked cajun in a package of whatever sort to taste even remotely good.
    Trust me when I say I have tried all sorts of brands and products.
    The only thing that doesn't find it's self immediately in the trash is Zatarains cajun seasoning and their gumbo base mix.

Just bite the bullet and go down to loosianner and get the real deal.
    When I lived in Arkansas it was pretty common to get a few folks together, drive down, and buy a few ice chests full of fresh boiled crab to bring back.
    I do love me some real deal shrimp po-boy sammiches......but hell, I don't even know anywhere you can get the right bread for it 'scept loosianner.

Reactions: stefan73 and mtrmn

View attachment 8305455
    Part of your problem is that you are inquiring about ingredients much more than you should, especially when eating coonass food.

"So how else does one eat boudin?"

Boudin Noir split on a toasted Kaiser roll with pepper jack. I make my little brother grab a few pounds on his way back from Port Fourchon when he goes fishing for Reds.

Last edited:
    I've never found anything marked cajun in a package of whatever sort to taste even remotely good.
    The only thing that doesn't find it's self immediately in the trash is Zatarains cajun seasoning and their gumbo base mix.

When I lived in Arkansas it was pretty common to get a few folks together, drive down, and buy a few ice chests full of fresh boiled crab to bring back.
    I do love me some real deal shrimp po-boy sammiches......but hell, I don't even know anywhere you can get the right bread for it 'scept loosianner.
    You lost all credit when you said Zatarains.

Git some o dat Community coffee while you dere

Boudin is basicly rice dressing in sausage casing. Rice dressing to go is what the old black gentleman that made it for the store I worked at in Broussard during high school.

If you want a good dressing mix then Savoies is what you want. You can get it on Amazon. Best store bought dressing you can buy just add rice.
    Pretty much the same ingredients as boudin.
    I will add ground pork to it and sometimes ground beef or sausage.
    As others have said you can have good boudin mailed to you. Central to south central La is the area for the best in my opinion but have had great from all over the state.

If you want a good dressing mix then Savoies is what you want. You can get it on Amazon. Best store bought dressing you can buy just add rice.
    Pretty much the same ingredients as boudin.
    I will add ground pork to it and sometimes ground beef or sausage.
    As others have said you can have good boudin mailed to you. Central to south central La is the area for the best in my opinion but have had great from all over the state.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^😁👍 mix ours with cooked ground meat.

Reactions: texastonk
    Yep for store bought savoies is good and look where it’s from. The honey pot of real food and not the stuff tamed down for tourists.

I’m from Louisiana and have never seen that before in my life.
    I lived in Cut Off Louisana for several years and we would drive to Krotz Springs to buy it. If you knew who to ask you could even get Red Boudin

Reactions: J. W.
    So how else does one eat boudin?

Other than on a cracker with tobasco?
    Since you are not from Louisiana, that is a fair question.
    When you work the oil patch, you get all the info needed on local food. So, depends on there the location (drilling rig) is located.
    Oil patch runs 365 days a year / 24 hours a day.
    Leave one location, head to the other and stop at the local cajun food store where the boudin is fresh and hot.
    Back on the road, quick. Drive with one hand and squeeze the boudin out with the other hand and eat like a king...
    Try and keep the juice off the steering wheel cause it gets slippery.
    When you finally pull in home, the wife picks up on the scent and ask "Did you bring me some" ?

The good old days in the oil patch.

We just head down to Holly Beach/Cameron Bay area for Shrimp right off the boat and to fish for Reds.

I'm wishing mudbugs were in season right now! A good gumbo in the cold winter is always nice to get you warm and moving around (or wanting to take a nap).

Boudreaux say reed de pakaje, it be speltin "CREOLE." Creole ain't CAJUN ya dum Yankee. 🙄 An red anna wite boudin ain't da sam as andouille or tasso. Ow youse geaux no bout maken nutra or coon sauspecou if ya want no red writin or writ reedin? Eh!
    I love it when I hear someone yell "allons". Then all hell breaks loose:D

How do you screw up a good cup of coffee ?

Bring in a new Yankee CEO to head up a family business that has been going on for 4 generations.
    Where did he come from:
    Mr. Corley began his career as a Sales Representative with General Foods, Inc (now KraftHeinz) in Alexandria, Minnesota, where he worked for over 30 years and was responsible for $18 billion in revenue in his last role as President of Sales and Foodservice.

I am well stocked with Community but I should add some more since it will, for sure, be changing. 🥺

How do you screw up a good cup of coffee ?

Bring in a new Yankee CEO to head up a family business that has been going on for 4 generations.
    Where did he come from:
    Mr. Corley began his career as a Sales Representative with General Foods, Inc (now KraftHeinz) in Alexandria, Minnesota, where he worked for over 30 years and was responsible for $18 billion in revenue in his last role as President of Sales and Foodservice.

I am well stocked with Community but I should add some more since it will, for sure, be changing. 🥺

They better not fuck it up!
    I'll have to go back to Mello Joy!

• Sad
    Reactions: Hobo Hilton