• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calculating angle of shot.

MOOSEKNUCKLE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Ohio
Been to long to remember. The elevation from my shooting position is 131'above the target, length of shot is 3141'. What is the formula to find the degrees of the shot?

Re: Calculating angle of shot.

Thanks fellas. Im shooting a 5R .308 with some new hand loads. 168 gr Amax 45.5 gr of Varget pushing 2667 fps falling subsonic at 1122yrds.
At 1047 yards I was hitting a 10"x10" plate rather consistently with my 168gr Hornady national match BTHP. The new load was all over the place with under 5mph winds. I just installed a new muzzle brake that I bought off of Ross here on SH. Can a muzzle brake affect accuracy? Maybe the 5R just doesnt like the Amax?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been to long to remember. The elevation from my shooting position is 131'above the target, length of shot is 3141'. What is the formula to find the degrees of the shot? </div></div>

You can take the short cut and get the Angle cosine indicator. Works well. Money well spent in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MOOSEKNUCKLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks fellas. Im shooting a 5R .308 with some new hand loads. 168 gr Amax 45.5 gr of Varget pushing 2667 fps falling subsonic at 1122yrds.
At 1047 yards I was hitting a 10"x10" plate rather consistently with my 168gr Hornady national match BTHP. The new load was all over the place with under 5mph winds. I just installed a new muzzle brake that I bought off of Ross here on SH. Can a muzzle brake affect accuracy? Maybe the 5R just doesnt like the Amax?!? </div></div>

more that 168's at 1k yards is a tough shot. the 175 or the 155 does better at that range.

Have you worked up the Amax load fully (at distance, playing with OAL, etc)? Sounds like you may have a load that's passable on paper at the short lines, but not really solid as you go out.

The 168 Amax's, if you find a speed and OAL your rifle likes should shoot inside the 168 SMK's at 1000 any day.

I agree that 175/178s would be the way to go. Just how often and how regular were the 1047 hits on a 10X10 plate with 168 BTHP's?

Probably 40% hit ratio. There is a full size torso next to the 10x10 that I would get dialed in on, then move over to the 10x10. I am pretty new at all this and I wish I had something in between my back yard (100 yards) and my neighbors field (1047 yards). Hopefully they will be harvesting crops this week which should get me somewhere in the middle.
Ive heard the 155s are a good load and will try them next.