• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Calculating Movers

IPoutdoors

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2020
what is your method for calculating your hold on moving targets? Thanks in advance

There’s a bunch of different ways to do it so I’m sure people will chime in with other options but this works for me and is pretty quick. If you have a spotter with a reticle or can observe through your scope track how many mils the target moves in 3 seconds and then divide by 3 to get the mils / second. (Use 3 seconds instead of 1 for less timing error, it’s hard to be accurate in 1 second). Then multiply that mils / second by your time of flight and that’s your mover hold. Most programs will give you time of flight or you can just write it in for a hard dope card every 100-200 yards

Run it on JBM. Pretty accurate. Usually about 1.1-1.4 mils for a 2mph walking man depending on range. You can adjust that accordingly for speed.

I heard somewhere that you've already lost if you're doing math behind the rifle.

That's why I figure stuff like this out on JBM (insert your solver of choice here) ahead of time then make a laminated cheat card.

Reactions: Rob01
Practice to get a good solid fast count. Find a rythm that is quick but easily repeatable. Most use a 4 count per second.

Know your time of flight for that distance. So for a time of flight of 1.25 seconds see how far your target moves while counting 1,2,3,4,1.

What ever lead that is, hold it and shoot.

used post 2 method a lot...find mils/sec and figure with flight time

you can also do it in a kestrel...there is a target speed calculator where you input distance to target and how many mils youre going to time it for...say 400 yds and 10 mils...you watch thru a reticle, hit start, and hit stop when it spans 10 mils...then it gives u the lead

either way will work to hit movers without guessing

Reactions: Forward543
All that math in 90 seconds and still get hits will be tough ;)

yea because every mover stage ever is blind and you cant possibly see it ahead of time

the title says "calculating movers" ...not guessing them, anyone can plug in various speeds and guess

100% on a chart before hand.
Now just need to time the mover or have the speed given to me.

1599590594212.png

yea because every mover stage ever is blind and you cant possibly see it ahead of time

the title says "calculating movers" ...not guessing them, anyone can plug in various speeds and guess

Well I guess if you have you spotter set up prior to the stage and take the time you can but you are almost always told range and mover speed so getting a good lead is as easy as putting it in any program. No need for all the long math. Even the math is a calculated guess.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Well I guess if you have you spotter set up prior to the stage and take the time you can but you are almost always told range and mover speed so getting a good lead is as easy as putting it in any program. No need for all the long math. Even the math is a calculated guess.

youve just had easy MD/ROs....havent been told speed at the matches ive shot...werent told at heatstroke....werent told at reveille...werent told in New mexico...arent ever told at RO, and when ive heard people ask jacob usually says "i dont know, about that fast" and he points at it, when there are 2 going at the same time

LOL yes not all will tell you so yup get out the timer and spotter and go to work. You will get your calculated guess.

Wonder how we were able to hit 6" movers at 500 yards at Rifles Only before with no math? Hmmmm. Sorry fact is not many even shoot movers anymore. Always liked shooting them and was lucky enough to get some this past weekend at a match.

same way as everyone else when i first shot at RO probably....someone shoots and then everyone asks them their hold and hopes to get close

you only need the math for the first shot...which if you want to be competitive at the top, you better hit those too

LOL just like everyone does with wind calls now and always have so whats the problem? Just always been part of the game. Sad part is those mover holds are all pretty damn close for 6 and 6.5s to within a tenth so it's easy enough to take a call and get a first round hit. Same as with getting the speed and range.

And comes down to if they let you see the mover on glass for the math way. Not just easy RO/MD as you mentioned but easy match rules now allowing everyone on glass while others are shooting. Want to get old school with math then do it all the way and get people off glass.

OP, just dont shoot first and ask someone their holds

clearly being able to figure it out yourself is wasted effort...same goes for dope and wind also, just ask around and hope for the best...itll be close

Yup and when "calculating" your wind and elevation don't use any electronics and do it all long hand as that's the only accurate way.

I heard somewhere that you've already lost if you're doing math behind the rifle.

That's why I figure stuff like this out on JBM (insert your solver of choice here) ahead of time then make a laminated cheat card.
At Snipers hide cup this year we had an unknown distance mover at an unknown speed, not allowed to glass before hand or talk about mover holds with people in your squad. Having hard cards or a program with mover mph holds is great If you know the mph, but that doesn’t always work, like in this situation. It was a 6 min stage and we were able to get it ranged and mover speed calculated in under 1 min.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Yup for those rare occasions it's great to know how to do it. If you could at least get close range you would be close for a first round hit.

If only Leica made a rangefinder capable of measuring doppler shift and displaying range and velocity..........

If only Leica made a rangefinder capable of measuring doppler shift and displaying range and velocity..........
My leica 2800.com cost me almost an entire stage at that same match. Most horrible Bluetooth link and user interface I’ve ever used 😂 great as a solo rangefinder but I don’t bother with the kestrel link anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I set up my spotter and time the mover across as many mils as it has. I think it has 40 mils on the reticle. Then just divide 40 by whatever time you came up with to find the mils per second. Multiply by your time of flight.

I see lots of shooters at big matches just asking for the mover hold from other shooters. This is a mistake for several reasons. If someone just tells you it was 1.5 mil lead are you sure they were hitting center? Are you sure they were breaking the shot at exactly the 1.5 mil lead? Were they trapping the target or following the target? Was their windage dialed out correctly? Was their zero a click or two left or right of your zero?

I see lots of shooters hitting leading edge or trailing edge and if the targets weren't giant on most mover stages they'd hardly have a single hit.

Also, if someone just tells you it's a 3 MPH mover is it really? Is it possibly 3.5 MPH? Or 2.5 MPH?

It's very easy to time a mover and very accurate at producing the correct lead.

I also use the mils/sec X time of flight method. Takes less than a min or two.

I’ve never been given the speed for a mover at a match. Even if I was, I’d treat it just like range given. I trust but verify. Have found too many times something was measured wrong or typed wrong.

I just run my stop watch on phone or watch and time 10 or 20 mils. I do it 2 or 3 times to make sure I’m getting a consistent time. Then it’s just 10 seconds on the calculator.

You can always go the 2mph hold and adjust. But if you’re attempting to win a match, taking 2 min to get a better hold isn’t that hard.

very helpful. thanks for the tip. I will apply at the next match

I haven't read the entire rulebook. are you allowed to look through your scope and time the mover prior to stage start?

depends on the stage design....at most matches ive shot, yes you were able to look thru glass like the majority of other stages...blind mover stages are always a possibility tho

Reactions: Dthomas3523