• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calculations for mph rifle

gasrat

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2019
SE Kentucky
If this isn't the correct forum, I apologize. I'm familiar with the determination of what mph a rifle is. However, I had a question pertaining to it with what I discovered. If I do the calculations for my load, which is a 175 SMK traveling at trued fps, my rifle at a full value wind of 4 mph at 600 yards yields a hold of .67 , which is above the .6 at 600 that @lowlight mentions in the information he has put out.

If I drop the mph down to 3, it falls below .6, down into the .53 range if I remember correctly, but don't hold me to that as I don't have my Kestrel in front of me to see exactly what it is. Either way, my question is this, seeing as I have to work one number difference in mph and can't adjust to a like 3.5 mph in the ballistic solver. Should I calculate my rifle being a 3 mph gun, 3.5 mph rifle, or stick with the 4 mph number even though it's above the .6 hold recommendation at 600? I'm guessing something like 3.5 mph would put me right at the .6 hold at 600 yards. Hope that made sense, if not, it wouldn't be the first time I've attempted to explain something and made it more confusing... lol. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

Can you accurately estimate wind to the 1/2 mph on the fly? I doubt it. Can you reliably hold a .1 horizontal difference? I doubt that too.
Use the shortcut for what it is, a quick method to get close enough.

Can you accurately estimate wind to the 1/2 mph on the fly? I doubt it. Can you reliably hold a .1 horizontal difference? I doubt that too.
Use the shortcut for what it is, a quick method to get close enough.
Like always, I was overthinking it. Appreciate the info. So with your train of thought, would you use 3 mph or 4 mph for the calculations?

I'd probably round down myself, people tend to underestimate wind and don't hold enough.

Reactions: gasrat