• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caldwell "Velociradar" Enters the Market

Nice!

Can't wait to see what this market brings in this space over the next few years. Salad days.

Looking forward to Extensive downrange data, BC profiles, great data management facilities and apps, etc.

Who else is going to have an offering?

Hopefully we get BCs out much further here. True that.

Will be neat to see what type of results we'll be able to get for BCs on 22lr for example and how that may inform our solutions.

Using custom profiles in AB and Strelock I can get really close and not be 100% reliant on DOPE. Will be interested to see how real world apps of data manifest.

Interesting architecture, no idea how reliable this thing will be or how it's performance will be yet, but the marketecture certainly curious...

Huge antenna array. They describe it as using a series of chirps with different signatures so when it gets a reflection it knows when that particular chirp was sent, so they can calculate how the distance, velocity at that distance etc. They differentiate this from Doppler.

Meaningful? Who knows. We'll see.

Even if it does what it says I will not be buying. I have my garmin and it fits in my pocket.

Prove this to be reliable, have the right facilities for data management and deliver BCs out to 500+ and then I will be interested.

1706218307531.png

Interesting architecture, no idea how reliable this thing will be or how it's performance will be yet, but the marketecture certainly curious...

Huge antenna array. They describe it as using a series of chirps with different signatures so when it gets a reflection it knows when that particular chirp was sent, so they can calculate how the distance, velocity at that distance etc. They differentiate this from Doppler.

View attachment 8332432

Are you an RF or electrical engineer?

If you're referring to their True Ballistics unit, it will never compete with it's price tag.
That is a valid point. Although I sourced mine for $800 shipped from the Netherlands (Euro is low) the Caldwell coming out with MSRP of $499 is pretty daggum cool.

I bought an fx used during the purge , I’m glad I did as it seems to offer the most in my limited amount of knowledge

I bought an fx used during the purge , I’m glad I did as it seems to offer the most in my limited amount of knowledge
Make sure to download the latest software. My BCs got way more accurate to listed numbers by Litz and manufacturers.

Reactions: 68hoyt
CHIRP is really cool technology. We have been using it for years on boats. Anyone who is familiar with using a bottom machine (fish finder) is probably familiar with having a choice between two frequencies usually 50 and 250 hertz. One reads a really wide area but doesn't penatrate very deep, and the other is a narrow beam but can read way deeper.
CHRIP let's you select any frequency in between and a lot of the time frequencies above and below those two frequencies. It gives you very precise control over dialing in whatever your intended purpose is.
I was a offshore tournament sport fishing boat captain for years before I changed careers, and I could dial in specific frequencies to hunt for specific species of fish. Giant Bluefin tuna or big eye tuna would show up bright as day at like 88hz because of their air bladder returning the signal where as something like a blue marlin or white marlin would shine on a different frequency like 107. And the equipment can monitor multiple frequencies at the same time.
It's powerful stuff. Obviously our equipment was significantly more powerful, but I could read the bottom at 10,000 feet running 36 knots.
In theory it should work great for chronograph work, it can easily handle different size bullets at different speeds made of different materials and over a much broader range of distance.

Meaningful? Who knows. We'll see.

Even if it does what it says I will not be buying. I have my garmin and it fits in my pocket.

Prove this to be reliable, have the right facilities for data management and deliver BCs out to 500+ and then I will be interested.

View attachment 8332432
CHIRP techniques are a form of pulse compression within a long transmit pulse. They use a linear FM modulation technique for the CHIRP and measure the frequency shift of the return signal to better resolve multiple targets in the same spatial domain. This technique in concert with a larger array is pretty cool to find in a consumer application. The antenna array is nothing special just an equal amplitude array. You can tell by the feeder network on the RHS of the PCB. They could have improved performance by using a different antenna array architecture but this is definitely beyond what I have seen in other chronographs using simpler Doppler techniques.

From what I saw in one of the video's is that the BC is only calculated to a distance of 100 yards. What good is this if you are shooting long range or extreme long range?