• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber choices

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
Is there any good reasons to build a rifle in .308 when you can build the same rifle in .260?
I reload all my ammunition anyway;)

Re: Caliber choices

I have shot a .308 for many years and finally got a .260 this january and put 750 rds through it already, I don't shoot my .308 anymore.
nuff said.

at long range the transition from super-sonic to sub-sonic plays hell on light rounds. the 308 or 30cal in my opinion handles the transonic transition better because of the stability of the higher weight.

if your going to be doing long range you have to take that in to count, but also the drag coefficient is less on the 260 so it will stay super longer but will be affected by the "acts of god" more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at long range the transition from super-sonic to sub-sonic plays hell on light rounds. the 308 or 30cal in my opinion handles the transonic transition better because of the stability of the higher weight.

if your going to be doing long range you have to take that in to count, but also the drag coefficient is less on the 260 so it will stay super longer but will be affected by the "acts of god" more </div></div>

Cowboy,

The transition from sonic has little to do with caliber and everything to do with the specifics of the geometry of the projectile.

For instance I shoot a 30 cal 230 grain hybrid that doesn't transition to subsonic the best. There are many 30 cal bullets that transition well and other calibers but not because of their weight.

To the OP. For a match cartridge .264 cal/6.5mm will serve you well. 308's usually get better barrel life.