• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber comparison

cheddar

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Madison, WI.
I have been looking around at different info on differnt calibers. The search here wont bring up any results if say I search for "260" or ".260". Is anyone familiar with a thread that I can check out or any other sites with info on calibers? I was looking for pros, cons, fps, velocity...stuff of that nature. Thanks in advance.

Re: Caliber comparison

wow...Thanks a bunch guys...

Only queston now is: How do I rechamber my .223 in .260?
Savage 10FP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheddar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow...Thanks a bunch guys...

Only queston now is: How do I rechamber my .223 in .260?
Savage 10FP. </div></div>

get a new bolt or i think on savages you can change out the bolt head itself and screw on a new tube

I may be wrong, but I heard that Savage made bolt faces an FFL order item.

Otherwise, change the boltface, screw on a new tube, and remove any spacer they have in the mag.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=983140

Also you will need to change out the mag well, follower, and the front baffle. When you change the bolthead you will want to re-adjust the firing pin assembly for protrusion and travel.
The front baffle is the bolthead looking part right behind the actual bolthead. Another option here is to score the elongated part of the "short-case" baffle and snap off the excess with a hammer. I did this when I converted my 12FV-204Ruger to 308. A few moments with a grinder and it looks as good as a new one.

It's not that much work when you get a handle on it.
Many here, including myself, can do conversions in 15 minutes or so.

You were very close sobr!
I think the Sear is only available through FFL's, I have never been able to locate one anyway. If you know a place to get them let me know. I have wanted to tinker with the sear to perfect timing, but held off to keep from damaging the ones I have in-service.

+1 to everything Rafael said. If you have an aftermarket stock, another option instead of changing mag wells & followers would be the new CDI Precision bottom metal. It uses Accuracy International mags and will use the 308 mags and the new 223 mags (when they're available) interchangeably. Then you could get your .473" boltface for all your .308 based cartridges (including .260), rebarrel it, headspace it, stick in a 308 mag and go shoot! Keep your .223 boltface & barrel, get a 223 mag and you have got a lot of territory covered as far as caliber choices. Check out the link & see if you might be interested.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1132900#Post1132900

If you're going go that far, get the pinned and make it a switch barrel.

Maybe I would be better off buying a Stevens later on and making that what I'm looking for next...

It's always good to have 1 more, right?

I just can't afford to go apeshit on my rifle which shoots just fine.