• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

caliber comparison

lessthanfour

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2011
Canada
well im looking for a new hunting rifle, I already have a .308 and a 30-30 so im looking for something big game. Basically im stuck between a .300 winchester magnum and a .338 winchester magnum. I was planning on the .300 wsm with a savage weather warior but my uncle is trying to steer me in the direction of the .338
I know the .300 is an excellent cartridge due to the accuracy and takedown power of my dads sako but I hear with the right load it has the same balistic tragectory with a huge "smack" advantage to the .338 so id like to hear your individual opinions on the two.
this will also be for benchrest shooting and the occasional mild competition (300 and below, nothing either shouldnt be able to drastically outperform)
ps. I handload my own bullets so storebought inaccuracy is not a variable.

Re: caliber comparison

ive been on this site much longer than ive had an account, ive read that more than once. what im looking for is a comparison between the two calibers while overlooking all others. i need stuff like - the .338 is more powerful but is the extra umph necessary for north american game?
thank you for the link though much appreciated

The 338 win mag is a wonderful cartridge, but the only time it becomes really "necessary" is if you are taking on angry brown bears in tight quarters. If it is going to be your rifle get what you want. I have a .300 wsm, it is my elk rifle, it is also my deer rifle. It is my rifle. If you want to shoot bullets over 190gr. I would recommend the 300 win mag though.

I am a big fan of the 300 WSM for anything up to and including elk. Recoil is not bad at all (my 16 yo daughter used it last year to take a big bull elk), and I like the short action. I shoot the 180 accubond almost exclusively.

You already have the perfect hunting rifle. 30-06. Spend the money on a quality optic and ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lessthanfour</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive been on this site much longer than ive had an account, ive read that more than once. what im looking for is a comparison between the two calibers while overlooking all others. i need stuff like - the .338 is more powerful but is the extra umph necessary for north american game?
thank you for the link though much appreciated</div></div>
Again will say search works. The information you seek is on this website probably already. It can be found if you search for it. At the same time, what you seek may never be spoon fed to you ...

Here are a couple examples of the kinds of thread you might find if do a few searches and look around here. I did a search for +300WM +.338 and quickly found these results (putting the plus in front of both makes both have to be in the end results):

? .338 win mag as a long range hunting rifle at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2273760

300WM or 338LM at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2258233

.338 lapua or .300 wm and .308 w at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2228642

300 Win vs 338 Lapua at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2135658

And I did not look that hard or go very far back. Only searched for a couple minutes. Good luck and hope you find the information you seek to make an informed decision you feel good about later.

I have a 338WM that I hunt with. Ive had it nearly 20 years now and it does everything I could ever need and more.
With that being said, if I was doing it again, I would have no problem with a 300 WM.
I just don't see that much difference between the two.

I think it depends on what you mean by "big game" If you are talking elk, a .308 works fine.

If you are wanting to go to a magnum, I'd look at various bullets to see what is out there and if you can find what you want. the 30 cal seems to have a better selection available. Example: the Nosler partition has 8 30 cal bullets and only 3 in .338.

I'm going to say .264 winmag. 160gr gamekings over the slowest powder you can find.

The 7mm is hard to beat. My 7mm-08 162amax round still has 1000ft/lbs at 700 yards. I don't know how far you plan on taking game but If you go with a 7mm mag or 7wsm and the 180vld and you're probably looking at the 900-1000 range with still holding the 1000ft/lbs. When you compair that with the wind drift charts and a 7mm is hard to beat. They have been using them in Europe for a long time for hunting rigs for that very reason.

Good luck,
Merritt

If you are hunting anything short of animals that are also hunting you, the 300WM is probably more gun than is needed. If you are hunting dangerous game then take all the gun you can handle. In a hunting weight rifle, you probably aren't going to enjoy shooting either one of them from a bench. Hunt with what you shoot well, a deer isn't going to know if it got hit with a 300 bullet or a 338 bullet. It will know if it got shot in the ass, though.

I use my .300 Magnum when hunting moose in Quebec. Loaded with 180 grain Nosler Partition, it is plenty horsepower. Not going to say that a .338 WM is not going to do the job, but I can hunt deer, bear, and slightly smaller animals with the .300 without difficulty. Most people do not shoot the heavy magnums as well as a rifle that does not kick as hard.

Good luck

Jerry