• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber,Configuration

SmokeStyx

Minuteman
Jun 5, 2008
Alabama
I see so many different configuratios of long range equipment,is there any 1 most popular caliber that is just plain best to work with?Just getting in to shooting again,I like the .308,but for no real reason.Your comments will be appreciated as I am contemplating a GAP rifle(scratching up funds).Thanks,Kenny

Re: Caliber,Configuration

It has been long standing advice here, that if you have to ask, .308 wins hands down..... Easy to find ammo, plenty of choices of projectiles in every weight possible to cut teeth reloading with, very forgiving round....... etc... However, intended use plays heavy in the final decision....

define long range. the .308 is just too puny to get much if any past 1K. it is easy to do better if long range is the object of the exersize.

any of the 7mms (7-08, 7-SAUM, 7WSM, and possibly the best the 7s, the 7RM) will smoke the .308 at long range. the .300 WM is kind of the gold standard, but really anything with enough displacement to stay solidly supersonic will work for you if the barrel is twisted right.

IMO, the .308 is the minimum, not the best.

Thanks for the good advice,I like to shoot long range and also to Deer hunt.I am going with the 7MMWSM.Your advice has been apreciated.I think a GAP in that caliber will do it all,relatively well.

How well does the plain old .243 win do out to 600 to 1000?

I just learned about the 115 grain bullets tonight reading on the net. I've hunted and killed deer with 105 grains.

The remington 700 sps varmint has a 9 1/8" twist 26" barrel will it stabilize the 115s?

I'm not into the wildcats or magnums, but if you look at balistic charts why the .308 for long range? It seems the .270 win, .7mm08, and especially the 25/06 would be better choices for the handloader?

Just learning here. I've looked through 7 pages so far, and not much info on alternate common calibers. The .308 definitely wins the popularity contest. I did read on - I think - 6mmbr.com that George from GAP prefers the .243 and the 115's - I think he stated how could he ask for more b/c the 115's have over a .600 BC? Am I right?

Thanks

The 243WIN has better ballistic performance at long ranges. This is why everyone is going to smaller diameter bullets for tactical competitions: 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm. The 308WIN is the all-around workhorse. Also, if you get a 308, you can create a switch barrel rifle in other calibers that use the 308win as the parent case. It will only cost you an extra barrel(s) and a few tools.

The following cartridges use the 308WIN case (necked down) and would be compatible with a switch barrel setup:

243WIN(6mm): top-notch ballistics out to 1000 yds, but short barrel life. Widest variety of bullets/brass due to its use in benchrest.
260REM(6.5mm): some consider this the ideal combination of ballistics, recoil, and energy. New caliber with smaller brass/bullet selection
7mm-08: heavier recoil, better ballistics than 308win. Not sure about brass/bullet selection...but it seems too close to the 308 to be worth the trouble.

I chose 243WIN / 308win switch barrel because it covers all the game in north america and the 243win ballistics and low recoil allow it to compete well with any other tactical cartridge out to 1000yds. Only disadvantage is slightly lower barrel life...no biggie for me. Plus I like that I can go anywhere in the world and buy off-the-shelf 243 or 308 ammo.

Oh, another comment about the 243WIN and those 115 DTACs. You will need a special chamber with an extra-long throat to handle these....and a 1:7.5 twist(according to Krieger). This, in turn, will mean your chamber will not be ideal for shorter bullets like 80 to 107 grains. So, you kind of have to choose what you want. I chose a more standard chamber that will allow me to shoot the 107SMK in competition and 100-105gr hunting bullets well. PLUS, when your throat starts to wear and lengthen.....then you can use the DTACS. :)