• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Caliber for elk hunt

Stevo86

No one
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • May 26, 2014
    Hey guys, I’ve got an elk hunt booked for next year and was wondering what Caliber most folks use for This? I’ve always hunted whitetail and have 0 experience with elk. I’m assuming 300 win mag is a good choice. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks

Are you deciding between rifles you already own or buying a new dedicated elk rifle? 300 win is a proven performer. Don't think you will get many to argue that. But folks get it done with much less.

Reactions: WoobieJ
    Hey guys, I’ve got an elk hunt booked for next year and was wondering what Caliber most folks use for This? I’ve always hunted whitetail and have 0 experience with elk. I’m assuming 300 win mag is a good choice. Just wanted some opinions. Thanks
    When you say “booked”, do you mean with a guide? What do they recommend based on the terrain they’ll take you in?

.300 Win is a solid choice.

The 300win is about a good of choice there is. I use a 300wsm shooting 200gr tlr.

Just please remember that elk are big tough animals, so please don't try and use "just enough" or the minimum.
    That’s why I’m asking advice from people with first hand experience, last thing I want to do is wound an animal and it run off and suffer for along time. @jwknutson17 I’m always looking for a reason to buy a new rifle 😏 I appreciate you guys response. Im gonna look for barrel blank and spin up a win mag or prc.

Reactions: WoobieJ
    That’s why I’m asking advice from people with first hand experience, last thing I want to do is wound an animal and it run off and suffer for along time. @jwknutson17 I’m always looking for a reason to buy a new rifle 😏 I appreciate you guys response. Im gonna look for barrel blank and spin up a win mag or prc.

Then yes the 30 magnums will one of the best choices. If you go PRC make sure your stock or chassis will accept CIP length cartridges. All my PRC stuff with 215 berger hand loads is loaded to 3.700 COAL. (.005 off the lands). Fyi.

Reactions: Stevo86
    .300 WM, .300 PRC, .28 Nosler all seem to be favorites.
    You can get it done with 7mm Mag, .308, 6.5 PRC, and even 6.5 Creedmoor (yes you heard that right ladies and gentlemen).
    The 6.5 Swede has been used for a long time by many people for moose, elk, red stag with a lot of success. The 6.5 CM is basically the ballistic twin of the 6.5 Swede.
    Make sure you shoot a good bullet in whatever caliber you choose and you should be g2g

Reactions: afv338 and Wyzrd
    The swede also killed lots of elephant. Yes, it can be done. But why handicap yourself right out of the gate.

Fwiw, my son has a 6.5cm for his first elk rifle. He will not be allowed to shoot unless I'm there to back him up. I also hunt with a 6.5cm sometimes, and 2 weeks ago I passed on a big black bear because I didn't have enough gun to reach the vitals. It only gave me a quartering away shot as it walked slowly away and stopped to look a few times. If I had my 300wsm I would have tagged it.

The swede also killed lots of elephant. Yes, it can be done. But why handicap yourself right out of the gate.

Fwiw, my son has a 6.5cm for his first elk rifle. He will not be allowed to shoot unless I'm there to back him up. I also hunt with a 6.5cm sometimes, and 2 weeks ago I passed on a big black bear because I didn't have enough gun to reach the vitals. It only gave me a quartering away shot as it walked slowly away and stopped to look a few times. If I had my 300wsm I would have tagged it.
    I don’t disagree.
    This is why I just helped my father in law get a custom built .300 PRC together. Built by DMR LLC, same as my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Also many guides have a 30 cal minimum rule. kinda nonsensical when you consider 28 Nosler is nothing to shake a stick at, but not worth arguing over. .300 WM and/or .300 PRC is a good thing to have.

Old time favorite .338WM
    2nd,,
    338-06

Are you going guided ?
    Which area?
    CO,,NM,....

I had this same question late last year/early this year. I built a 280AI after hearing people say anything from 6.5-.30 works and a lot use 7mm rem. Haven't used it on a hunt yet though. Hopefully will get to test it soon on some hogs here in Texas.

Been doing some research on bullets and the 155gr Federal Terminal Ascent looks pretty awesome. Anyone have experience with the TA line from federal?

I think another question is which projectile to use to get the penetration, etc. and you need to plan on one that will work at the longest distance you plan on hunting plus a lot closer like 50 yards too. I was just in WY hunting mule deer and had multiple opportunities to shoot elk at 50 yards (no elk tag).

good luck on your elk hunt bring back pics and share good or bad .

338-06 or any 30 caliber magnum. 7mms will work, but not nearly as well. Trust me, I've been on the wrong side of that equation.

My 2 cents is build or buy a rifle you can shoot and see your impacts, one you can practice with and shoot well enough to have tons of confidence. It gets hard when the magnums start weighing 10 and under, but with a good set up it's still possible. Elk can soak up leed and a bad shot isn't going to be productive like it might be on some other animals, seeing if you need to send a second-round is fairly important.

Personally, the 7mms (7win mag, 280 of 28N) tend to fill the balance between energy and shoot-ability for Elk with a high to weight BC. This one sits in the 10lbs range and the brake is a huge help.

I'm headed back out in a few days for 3rd Rifle Elk in CO. Freezer is starting to look low.
    10lbs.jpg

338-06 or any 30 caliber magnum. 7mms will work, but not nearly as well. Trust me, I've been on the wrong side of that equation.
    I've read a lot about 7mm being fine for elk, even the 6.5s. I think it all just comes down to personal preference, bullet, and placement.

I've read a lot about 7mm being fine for elk, even the 6.5s. I think it all just comes down to personal preference, bullet, and placement.
    They are fine, until they aren't. I've killed plenty of elk with 7 mags of all stripes. I've also had elk run off when well shot with them. Never had one run off with a 30 mag or 338.

Your 7mm Rem Mag will do fine with proper placement and a decent bullet. Of course, a 30 caliber magnum of some flavor with 190-212 grain bullets will pack more punch if you are looking for a reason to buy a new rifle. ;)

Reactions: LRRPF52
    I have killed elk with a 30-06 as well as with a .300win Mag. My folks have killed them with a .300WSM as well as a .340 Weatherby.

Sometimes it’s which rifle is closest to the door when we saw them out in the field. (Not lying)

My buddy shot a great bull this year with his .270. Shot was only at 150yards but it was a one shot deal.

I am a big fan of the .300win mag. It’s done well for me. All of the elk that I have shot with it dropped. Ranges have been from 40yards to 300 yards. I shoot 180 Barnes out of it.

Reactions: jrassy
    270, 30,06, 7 mag,

A Nosler Partition handloaded in either of those will get you to 300yds at the minimum if your skill set is up to the task.

Boddington used a 270 Winchester at 400ish yards to take down an elk with a single shot, it is certainly capable.

I say save the money on a new rifle and spend the money on great glass and ammo, maybe some long range training, reading conditions and make sure that you are equally as ready as the equipment.

Good luck!

300 wsm with 180gr accubonds and a 338 win mag with 225 gr accubonds are my go to elk rigs.
    My last 3 were taken with the 300 wsm and all 3 dropped when they were hit.

They are fine, until they aren't. I've killed plenty of elk with 7 mags of all stripes. I've also had elk run off when well shot with them. Never had one run off with a 30 mag or 338.
    Last year alone I saw 3 guys with 30s need multiple shots to bring animals down and another group of 3 took over 23ish shots before my son and I lost count to get their animals.

The 7 I posted above, with 168s brought down 3 Elk in the same hunt, all with a single shot from 600 - 912y (912y, still had a bit over 1250flbs of energy). A 300wm in contrast, using a common load like Nosler Trophy Grade ammunition 180s would have been 26% LESS energy with more wind drift. Something like 300WM Barnes VOR-TX 180 TTSX 32% less energy @ only 824lfbs and neither enough to use at that distance.

My point to your post is that it's hard to use antidotal data and say one is better than others. People tend to shoot better with rifles that don't beat them up and they tend to practice more and those developed better DOPE and skills. Granted I am comparing my hand loads in my 7 vs factory in my 300, the point is the shot takes the animal at this level, not some perceived hunting lore of the 300. Your seeing more and more long-range hunters in the West moving to custom 7s, in part to places like Gunwerks and other smiths helping people understand shoot-ability first, high BC with enough energy to get the job done.

For me .300WM with 180gr PPT Partitions is the go to caliber. I have never had an elk walk away after getting thumped with it. I carry a .375 H&H loaded with 300gr Woodleigh Weldcores if I am hunting in grizzly country.

Diver,

Bad shots are one of the main reasons that animals take a bunch of killing. I have put a lot of 180grain Accubonds, Partitions and Barnes X through a lot of animals. And they dropped. I have seen guys with .300RUMs take 3-4 shots to put an elk down and friends with a 30-30 put an elk down with one shot. It comes down to shot placement. I wouldn’t use a 30-30 but my buddy never took shots over 100 yards and he always seem to do fine. As you said people shoot better with rifles that don’t beat them up and I agree. If people would practice more there would be a lot less wounded animals. Farthest I have taken on an elk is 280yards. I like them to be closer then farther. Just my preference. I like to have them close and then a little closer. It’s a rush having elk at 30yards away. Just my preference. A lot of guys like the LR game and it’s fun as well. Just not my cup of tea for elk hunting.

Reactions: KYAggie
    I would like to hear about the guy that is able to stalk up close than the guy that sits on his ass.

Reactions: 168BTHPM
    My 2 cents is build or buy a rifle you can shoot and see your impacts, one you can practice with and shoot well enough to have tons of confidence. It gets hard when the magnums start weighing 10 and under, but with a good set up it's still possible. Elk can soak up leed and a bad shot isn't going to be productive like it might be on some other animals, seeing if you need to send a second-round is fairly important.

Personally, the 7mms (7win mag, 280 of 28N) tend to fill the balance between energy and shoot-ability for Elk with a high to weight BC. This one sits in the 10lbs range and the brake is a huge help.

I'm headed back out in a few days for 3rd Rifle Elk in CO. Freezer is starting to look low.
    View attachment 7453462
    This is damn good advice IMO. With that said, full disclosure, I opted for a 30Nos mainly to replace the 300wm I sold.

Next build will be a 280AI or a 28Nos for do-all type gun just because I can haha 😂

Reactions: Diver160651
    This is damn good advice IMO. With that said, full disclosure, I opted for a 30Nos mainly to replace the 300wm I sold.

Next build will be a 280AI or a 28Nos for do-all type gun just because I can haha 😂
    I can tell you a number of people around here have had terrible trouble with killing elk with 28 Nosler and 195 Bergers. With good shots. At least use a different bullet.

Reactions: sierracharlie338
    I can tell you a number of people around here have had terrible trouble with killing elk with 28 Nosler and 195 Bergers. With good shots. At least use a different bullet.
    The 30Nos and Berger 215s will be my elk gun for at least the first trip. But I’ve heard the rumblings about performance issues with the 195s.

Diver,

Bad shots are one of the main reasons that animals take a bunch of killing. I have put a lot of 180grain Accubonds, Partitions and Barnes X through a lot of animals. And they dropped. I have seen guys with .300RUMs take 3-4 shots to put an elk down and friends with a 30-30 put an elk down with one shot. It comes down to shot placement. I wouldn’t use a 30-30 but my buddy never took shots over 100 yards and he always seem to do fine. As you said people shoot better with rifles that don’t beat them up and I agree. If people would practice more there would be a lot less wounded animals. Farthest I have taken on an elk is 280yards. I like them to be closer then farther. Just my preference. I like to have them close and then a little closer. It’s a rush having elk at 30yards away. Just my preference. A lot of guys like the LR game and it’s fun as well. Just not my cup of tea for elk hunting.

I not in disagreement, I do hunt Archery, but not all-terrain is conducive to a medium-range shot. The main takeaway is that the 30 caliber is not magic nor is it always the best tool for the job. I used the Accubonds and Barnes as examples because they are two of the most popular 30 cal loads not to say they are bad. But I think many people would be surprised that a 7mm in some conditions can deliver a lot more energy on a long shot while still being easier to shoot.

As a side note: Personally, since California went to solids, the pigs I shoot sure seem to have far less internal damage than using conventional loads; this seems to be echoed by everyone I know.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Glowie
    Last year alone I saw 3 guys with 30s need multiple shots to bring animals down and another group of 3 took over 23ish shots before my son and I lost count to get their animals.

The 7 I posted above, with 168s brought down 3 Elk in the same hunt, all with a single shot from 600 - 912y (912y, still had a bit over 1250flbs of energy). A 300wm in contrast, using a common load like Nosler Trophy Grade ammunition 180s would have been 26% LESS energy with more wind drift. Something like 300WM Barnes VOR-TX 180 TTSX 32% less energy @ only 824lfbs and neither enough to use at that distance.

My point to your post is that it's hard to use antidotal data and say one is better than others. People tend to shoot better with rifles that don't beat them up and they tend to practice more and those developed better DOPE and skills. Granted I am comparing my hand loads in my 7 vs factory in my 300, the point is the shot takes the animal at this level, not some perceived hunting lore of the 300. Your seeing more and more long-range hunters in the West moving to custom 7s, in part to places like Gunwerks and other smiths helping people understand shoot-ability first, high BC with enough energy to get the job done.

Are you from La Honda like above Woodside? I grew up in that area. Rarely come across anyone from those parts.

Anyway, I agree that a lot of guys out here (Western MT) are going to fast 7s. I don't think they are awful, I just know there was a spate of guys who are long time good hunters having elk run away on 28 Noslers with 195 Bergers. I include my self in that group (maybe not the good part.)

I include 338-06 in there because it is a bit easier to shoot, and when I hunt near home, which is very wooded, it is what I am using these days. For long range I prefer 300 WSM with a 200 gn ELD-x, but a lot of things will do the job. For me, with a can, it is super low recoil, even at 8 lbs or so, but recoil sensitivities are different.

I guess my #1 remark would be that hunting bullets kill better shooting MOA than match bullets do shooting half MOA. It is better to get both in one, but especially with smaller calibers my experience is you risk chasing an elk around creation if you start shooting them with 7mm Bergers.

Are you from La Honda like above Woodside? I grew up in that area. Rarely come across anyone from those parts.

Anyway, I agree that a lot of guys out here (Western MT) are going to fast 7s. I don't think they are awful, I just know there was a spate of guys who are long time good hunters having elk run away on 28 Noslers with 195 Bergers. I include my self in that group (maybe not the good part.)

I include 338-06 in there because it is a bit easier to shoot, and when I hunt near home, which is very wooded, it is what I am using these days. For long range I prefer 300 WSM with a 200 gn ELD-x, but a lot of things will do the job. For me, with a can, it is super low recoil, even at 8 lbs or so, but recoil sensitivities are different.

I guess my #1 remark would be that hunting bullets kill better shooting MOA than match bullets do shooting half MOA. It is better to get both in one, but especially with smaller calibers my experience is you risk chasing an elk around creation if you start shooting them with 7mm Bergers.
    Yes, Over the Hill from Woodside. Can't shoot rifles in my backyard, but have a 60-yard Archery set up in the horse paddock.
    Range @ 200 Cuesta.jpg

Need to hop in the ATV to my brother-in-law to shoot rifles. BTW Love Montana, have a house in Wyoming. Elk archery, I think is easier near our house in that they are still high in BLM/Nation Forests during that season, the weather is so cold early that it often drives them down into private ranches by the time rifle roles in.

Reactions: Wyzrd
    I not in disagreement, I do hunt Archery, but not all-terrain is conducive to a medium-range shot. The main takeaway is that the 30 caliber is not magic nor is it always the best tool for the job. I used the Accubonds and Barnes as examples because they are two of the most popular 30 cal loads not to say they are bad. But I think many people would be surprised that a 7mm in some conditions can deliver a lot more energy on a long shot while still being easier to shoot.

As a side note: Personally, since California went to solids, the pigs I shoot sure seem to have far less internal damage than using conventional loads; this seems to be echoed by everyone I know.

I agree. I would always take placement over caliber. I prefer .270 and up for elk. But that’s me. I really like the .340 Weatherby on elk, bear and moose.

My Dad shot 7mm Mag for a long time. Great caliber and he made some great shots on a wide range of animals.

I have ran the gambit on bullets. Used to use SMKs on hogs in Texas. Never had one run off but I always shot them behind the ear. Deer tipped over too. But they aren’t that big down there.

Accubonds I have found lose about 1/3 of weight consistently, haven’t lost anything with them and knocked over probably 20 animals with them.

Pretty much just shoot Barnes TSXs now. They seem to work well. Have used 180grains on deer and elk. And then in larger calibers in Africa. Great penetration and weight retention.

MT is a great state. Besides this morning when it was 3 degrees. 😂

Good luck on your hunt next year!

Dang, I guess a 6.5 SAUM and 139 scenars wouldn’t cut it here.

I don't think that's the case. More of us are saying if you are new, or are unwilling to pass up tagging out due to poor angles then go bigger. I mostly hunt with a 6.5cm and 300wsm. I have passed up tagging game with my 6.5cm because I couldn't get a clean shot, the game was quartering away. If I had my 300wsm I would have taken the shot.

I've seen plenty of wounded game or came across game that was wounded and ran off to die later. That is horrible to find and would be heart breaking to have happen to me because I tried to force a bullet to punch above its weight class.

We moved to Woodside in the 70s and it looked just like that. I miss those times. It looks like you guys still have it the old way, not many people in that area do.

back in the day, elmer keith rec'd a .33 for elk. there is no replacement for displacement. of course since then bullet construction and cartridge performance has improved. that said i bought a 300wsm with my old 7stw as backup. just about crapped my pants this morning seeing a herd of over 100 elk but they were out of range. hoping they get a little closer tomorrow!