• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber for spouse?

SRS

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2007
California
Folks,

Thinking of getting some type of 6 or 6.5 MM for the wife. I'm looking for something that has low felt recoil, and will be shot at 600 (mostly) and 1,000 yards (sometimes).

I'm thinking that a 243 might fit the bill, but a 6.5 might be nicer if (read: when) I need to "borrow" the rifle for 1K matches
smile.gif

That being said, what would you recommend? Honestly though, low felt recoil really is the priority. I live in CA, BTW...

BTW, I have a 308 that I'd like to rebarrel for this purpose, if I can... With this in mind, perhaps a 260?

Thank you in advance, everyone.
-SRS

Re: Caliber for spouse?

+1 for .243

Cheap, no recoil, flatter than a .308 with most loads.

Have you looked at an SPS? I have one dropped into an A5. Shoots half minute and cleans easy. Feels grrreat too! My rifle on my website home page is my .243. Whole thing there only cost slightly over $2k with scope and all.

260 fan here!

I got a brand new AIAW rifle about a year ago & immediately pulled the 308 barrel & slapped on a 260 barrel. Since the 260 is nothing but a glorified version of a necked down .308 there are absolutely no feeding issues.

I run the gun out to 1000 yards (and beyond) on a regular basis now & it is very consistent and very accurate with little to no recoil. It’s nice being able to watch your bullets impact the target.

With respects to rounds – I have purchased close to 1500 rounds from GA precision (it is my understanding that Blackhills may have made this ammo specifically for GA). The beauty of it is the fact that it is loaded w/ the 139 grain Lapua bullets & the velocities are very consistent. After running some numbers I figured that it is just as cheap to guy the ammo than to reload it… don’t get me wrong, I like reloading; however, I like shooting more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">put an efficient brake on anything and there will be abated recoil </div></div>

+1

Is the barrel on your rifle worn out that you want to rebarrel for your better half? You could save a heck of a lot of money by putting a good break on it. Also you could standardize ammo, assuming you are shooting .308 too.

i prefer just divorcing them but if you must off one i guess a 12 guage would work well. some people here rave about the lethality of 22 lr but...

.243, light recoil and will run with anything 6.5 for the job intended. Tougher on barrel life but cheaper components evens it out.

It is now a 6XC...
Belongs to and shot is by my wife.
IMGP3577-1.jpg

6.5 Creedmoor. I would say 6.5 swede if you had a longer action. The creedmoor
is a great round But when reading the ballistics make sure it's apples to apples,
they typically use a 28 inch barrel with the creedmore testing.

Folks, this morning I just realized that I haven't thrown a 7mm into the mix... What's the felt recoil like on a 7-08? Has anyone had their wife/girlfriend shoot this one?

Thanks again, folks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnCalloway</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what about a 7mm-08? </div></div>

Thats what I'd go with. Will out do a .308 anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaliDude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks, this morning I just realized that I haven't thrown a 7mm into the mix... What's the felt recoil like on a 7-08? Has anyone had their wife/girlfriend shoot this one?

Thanks again, folks. </div></div>

I just picked up a Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08, for my wife. She hasn't shot it yet but with the youth stock that came with it, it fits her fine.

I set the scope on it this past Saturday and while the recoil is noticeable it's not bad at all. A good recoil pad and some managed recoil loads should make it more than tolerable for her 5'2" 110lbs frame.

It shoots flatter and kicks less than a 308. That is what my wife shot before I bought her a 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaliDude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Folks, this morning I just realized that I haven't thrown a 7mm into the mix... What's the felt recoil like on a 7-08? Has anyone had their wife/girlfriend shoot this one?

Thanks again, folks. </div></div>

One thing to keep in mind - a muzzle break will increase noise and blast which in turn can cause a flinch.

I would never recommend a Remington model 7 in 7mm08 or 308 for a small framed shooter - youth or female. The model 7 with 140 grain factory loads is going to kick.

Reduced recoil ammunition would be the only way to go as stated.

I don't have any experience with shooting targets at 1K, but I have killed a truck load of deer with a 243 and a 7mm08. I feel for targets the 243 is just what you are looking for.

I have read that the 243 maitains a shorter barrel life, but is she really going to shoot 3K rounds in a short time? I guess some shoot that in a month, and others don't even do that in a lifetime.

Just my opinion though.

another plug for 243,
with a heavy or bull barrel and a heavy stock, the recoil is more than manageable.....

you guys (except fot marduk) have it all wrong.....
you buy the wife the biggest round you can talk them into, that you know they will not like after they shoot.
the hard part is talking them into it....its all down hill after that
wink.gif