• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing caliber for varmint hunting

stel67

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2012
Looking to get a dedicated varmint rifle. I have it down to two, 22-250 or a 25-06 thoughts on these two? Gun will only be used for varmints.... will also be hand loading for this gun.

Re: caliber for varmint hunting

223, 22-250, and 243. 223 does all I need it to, 22-250 does it better, and 243 does it better yet a lot further out.
With that said, I run 223 with a 50gr V Max and don't feel I am giving up much over the 22-250. 200yrd avg long shot, many 50 to 70yrd shots.
25-06 is for deer imo.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you for your input, there are so many calibers out there maybe I need to expand my list. Looking at ballistics and so forth it is starting to look like the 25-06 is a lot more than needed to anchor a yote plus it would cost more to load and have more recoil. Time to take a closer look at a 243...

I am in Colorado and we can get some long range shots here so there is potential for some longer shots.

"...A man's just got to know his limitations..."

.22-250

I've done both, and the .25-'06 is just way overbore. The smallest bore I'd use with that case is 7mm, or the .280 Rem. When it absolutely, positively needs to be wiped off the planet beyond 800yd, I'm all for the .280 Rem.

Of the 2 listed, .22-250. Good to 700 yards with ease.

I've done a fair amount of varmint hunting in southdakota where long shots are the norm too.....

if its prairie dogs or other targets that give multiple opportunities over a long day.....223 is hard to beat in terms of cost and recoil.

If its more predator than varmint....or moves faster than a prairie dog.....i vote for 243 every time

I use multiple rifles but mainly .223 or .308. I use 40gr and 60 grain vmax's for .223 and 110gr Vmax for .308. If you're hunting for pelts I'd recommend a smaller round with less power. If you're not I'd say get the larger caliber.

I'd go with the 22-250 since I already have a bunch of .223 bullets. To tell you the truth, while not thought of as a varmint caliber, the .308 does real well with 110gr vmax's(@ 3218fps). It's very effective on coyotes.

The main thing a faster caliber buys you is a better point blank zero. Personally i like not having to do external ballistic calculations while an animal is running at me. I can shoot to 400-500yds point of aim using the point blank zero on my .308/110gr vmax.

i've got a 204, 243, and a 25 06

picking 1 of the 3 i'd go with a 243

204 no recoil but might not handle a coyote at long range

25 06 lots of recoil

243 out to 1000 yards with the right scope and bullet

have you considered a 220 swift ? iv owned one for 12 years now and would never part with it.I send hornadys 55gr ballistic tips out of it and have no probs dropping a red fox at 400meters,It drops them dead on the spot.

To 500 the 204 is my choice hands down. It will kill every coyote you hit properly at this range and inside of 300 about any body hit is instant death. Made my 22-250 stay home for good. If you go with 22-250 let me know. I have several and much ammo/brass bullets etc.

I think for strictly varmint hunting the .223 is the better choice. If you are including predators in your "varmint" hunting I would go with the 22-250. I am an avid predator hunter and have used both the .223 and 22-250 having now found that I prefer the 6mm range of calibers over both.

Not to get off topic but could someone recommend a 22-250 round that won't blow a coyote pelt apart? I don't reload so it would be a factory round. I was looking into the Hornady Superformance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: khall540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to get off topic but could someone recommend a 22-250 round that won't blow a coyote pelt apart? I don't reload so it would be a factory round. I was looking into the Hornady Superformance. </div></div>

Federal and Winchester offer 55grn soft points. That's been my critter killing round of choice for a while now. For me, they've penetrated without coming apart and making a mess of things.

Cheers,
Breeze