• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

caliber info 7-300wsm

boomer453

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2009
Many, Louisiana
Noob with some thick skin so feel free tolet fly if the urge hits you.

looking for information on the 7-300wsm. Tried a search and came up with nothing.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Re: caliber info 7-300wsm

I own one and they're very accurate but, so is every other custom built target/hunting rifle. Brass forming is a no brainer for this cartridge. Use either 300WSM or .270WSM brass and neck up or down. 300 or 270WSM bushing dies work as well. The 7/300WSM will drive the 180 Bergers to 2,950fps with ease with H1000 and CCIBR2's. It's the ballistic twin to the 7WSM or the 7RSAUM.

Has anyone ever made a 243 WSM, not sure if Dtacs would hold together and I'm sure barrel life would last through load development and not much more....but I've always wondered.

Hey Jason,
Yesterday I went to JBM compare a little bit.BC is everything!The 7mm's still blow less in the wind.6mm/115's at 3400 fps to equal a 7mm/180's at 2950 fps at 1000 yards in the wind.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't mind the small amount of extra work it entails you will reap the benefits at the range. It is most certainly more inherently accurate than the 7WSM.</div></div>

Jared, if I may pick your brain for a minute. What makes a cartridge "inherently more accurate" than another? If you, and I mean you personally, built a 7-300 and a regular 7wsm (or 7 saum), what would make one more accurate?

Some people contribute long necks to be more accurate, i personally am not to sure about making them more accurate but it is nice to have the ability to seat the bullet deeper into the case without taking up the cases powder space

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't mind the small amount of extra work it entails you will reap the benefits at the range. It is most certainly more inherently accurate than the 7WSM.</div></div>

Jared, if I may pick your brain for a minute. What makes a cartridge "inherently more accurate" than another? If you, and I mean you personally, built a 7-300 and a regular 7wsm (or 7 saum), what would make one more accurate? </div></div>

Thats my thoughts as well. There is very very little difference in these. What are they about .01" different in head space?

First I'm not a self proclaimed rocket scientist so take this all in stride. You don't really need the capacity that either cartridge have. You will run into pressure before you fill either up with bullets seated out. The cases are the same exact over all length. The 7 WSM gives you more capacity with a shorter neck. Since you don't need the capacity and the 300 has a longer neck coupled by the fact that you can get better brass just makes it a no brainer in my book.
On to your question. With the case being filled more in the 300 it should burn more consistently. What makes one case more inherently accurate than the other normally boils down to the efficiency of the case. How consistent can a given case burn the propellant in it has the majority rule. One example would be the 260 vs 260 Ackley. The Ackley burns hotter and more consistent and seams at least in my test to achieve accuracy easier. Some just simply seem to do it well. Some do not. The list that do would include the following:

308 case family
22/6mm BR
6XC
6mm ppc
6.5X47
300 WSM

Just for example sake. Every one shoots easily and is inherently accurate across a broad range of weapons.

All this being said if you are just trying to hit steel at a tactical comp you will never really see a difference between the 7BAT or the 7WSM. The numbers are small and mean nothing when you have to hit a 15" plate at 600 yards. It will matter if you are shooting for group at 600.

Jered, thank you for your reply. I didn't mean to call you out. It's just that I have heard that phrase "inherently accurate" pertaining to cartridges on several occasions and never asked what it meant. Now I know.

.035 I think difference, I agree not enuff to worry with the difference.....and how can anything be more accurate than a 7WSM anyway, 7 wsm shoots as well as anything other than a PPC. I am doing a 6.5 on the 300 rather than the 7mm case but more for ease of necking down .270 wsm bass not any perc eived accuracy advantages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJoplin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't mind the small amount of extra work it entails you will reap the benefits at the range. It is most certainly more inherently accurate than the 7WSM.</div></div>

Jared, if I may pick your brain for a minute. What makes a cartridge "inherently more accurate" than another? If you, and I mean you personally, built a 7-300 and a regular 7wsm (or 7 saum), what would make one more accurate? </div></div>

Thats my thoughts as well. There is very very little difference in these. What are they about .01" different in head space? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eddybo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ....and how can anything be more accurate than a 7WSM anyway, 7 wsm shoots as well as anything other than a PPC. </div></div>
Although funny, I wouldn't say it was true.

Matchking,
Well maybe it is just mine that shoots good. I use a 6x47 for f-class because the 7wsm is a little punishing after 60 rounds shooting the 180s. Or maybe I measure good, a little differently. I have not really stretched mine, only 1400 yards and it holds up pretty well. On my backyard 800 yard range I shoot 1/2 MOA three shot groups routinely and sometimes better depending on conditions. While I can usually get a 115 d-tac out of a 6x47 to group a little better out of one of my match rifles, for a sporter rifle the 7 WSM does very well. One I recently built for a buddy shot a 3 shot 2 inch group at 800 right off the bat and he has called me notifying me of several .25 MOA groups. At mid ranges like 800 there is not much out there that will beat the 7wsm IMO, but maybe you have something? I have a range and would be interested in hearing about it and seeing it. I see your in LA, Do you shoot at Donaldsonville?
The point is .035 is not going to make a drastic change in accuracy when your dealing with this size case capacity.