• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber opinions

DixonFive0

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2020
Looking for caliber opinions for my next rifle. This next gun will mostly be a hunting rig with occasional banging long range steel.

I mostly deer hunt, but I want to feel comfortable taking a mature Bull moose, Bull Elk, or Boar Grizz as well without feeling undergunned.

My current largest caliber rifle is a 7mm rem mag.

I'm considering the following:
300 WSM
300 PRC
6.8 Western
300 wm (although I'd like to get away from the belted mags)

*Keep in mind I'd still like to be able to use this rifle for deer without losing both front shoulders turning to jello.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

I actually have a 308. I believe I'm looking for more thump than a 308 can provide on a mature moose or Grizz.

If you don’t reload the 300 WM is a good option. Especially if you go on a hunt and ammo get lost or something. Likely can find some (under normal availability) local

300 PRC would get my vote overall

Anything on your list is capable of toasting the front shoulders on a deer. Shot placement will depend on that

That WSM is a nice rig as well. Short action

If you don’t reload the 300 WM is a good option. Especially if you go on a hunt and ammo get lost or something. Likely can find some (under normal availability) local

300 PRC would get my vote overall

Anything on your list is capable of toasting the front shoulders on a deer. Shot placement will depend on that

That WSM is a nice rig as well. Short action
👆

7 mag will work on what you listed. If you need something substantially bigger, start at 338 win mag. 300 wsm is a good all around cartridge too though.

Reactions: cornhusker86
I don't reload, but I do want to get into it after the kiddos grow up and I have more time to myself.

I'm not so much worried about my shoulder with recoil. I'm more worried about meat destruction, but I suppose that's going to happen with the cartridges I'm considering. Some of that can be mitigated with bullet selection I suppose.

I'm really torn between 300 wsm and 300 prc. I'm a little concerned about 300 prc staying revealant in the future too. Do you think it's here to stay? Also do you think 300 prc is ridiculous overkill on a whitetail?

I think it will stay. Look at the 6.5 CM backing thanks to hornady

300 PRC is fine for deer

They’ll just be Dead Dead

• Haha
Reactions: ryodlsl
I don't see you gaining THAT much over your 7 Mag.
Certainly not enough to justify an entire rifle.

My concern is some guides have a 30 cal+ requirement for grizz or moose. Don't get me wrong I love my 7 mag though.

What is the exact use of the rifle? As in stationary type hunting or lugging through swamps, mountain sides and paddle boats

I just picked up a Tikka in 300 WM. Nice and light. Great hunting gun. Not a long range steel gun per say tho

Now if you want something for both you tend to give up a bit of light and compact to end up with more barrel, chassis and heavier optic choice. In general

Or pick up two guns. One light weight for moose and grizzly etc. The other for long range practice

After years of using my long range heavy rigs for hunting deer I realized I was carrying around way more gun than I needed. Buying the Tikka T3X in 300 WM filled the roll and with a Burris E1 on top it can touch anything within 500 without worrying about dialing optics either

Reactions: Newbie2020
I don't reload, but I do want to get into it after the kiddos grow up and I have more time to myself.

I'm not so much worried about my shoulder with recoil. I'm more worried about meat destruction, but I suppose that's going to happen with the cartridges I'm considering. Some of that can be mitigated with bullet selection I suppose.

I'm really torn between 300 wsm and 300 prc. I'm a little concerned about 300 prc staying revealant in the future too. Do you think it's here to stay? Also do you think 300 prc is ridiculous overkill on a whitetail?
You said: I'm a little concerned about 300 prc staying revealant in the future too. Do you think it's here to stay?

You are wise to enter this into your Matrix... It's not just the PRC..... It is all ammo. Perhaps do some "reverse engineering" from what you think will be the most available ammo in the future. You are considering becoming a reloader so enter that also. Consider the most readily available powder / primers / bullets down the road. Next is the long action / short action dilemma... If, after plugging in all of the available info, you are looking at two different calibers... Consider a Remage build.

Reactions: The D
Sounds like 7 rem mag would be good since you have it already. I tossed a lot of your options around when building mine for elk and settled on 280AI.

Last edited:
I know it sounds crazy to try to get both a lightweight hunting rig that can still bang steel at 1000, but that's kinda what I am after.

In reality 95% of the time it will be a tree stand gun in the deer woods, but would also like to be comfortable with it on a spot and stalk elk hunt. The other 5% shooting steel if that makes sense.

I know the best answer is always buy more rifles for specific purposes. I'd love to have 10 different rifles for varmint, light, medium, heavy, and dangerous game but the bank account does have its limit.

My safe has the following rifle calibers:
7mm rem mag
308 win
270 win
243 win
223 rem

Maybe the answer is dump more money into my Rem 700 7mm mag to get it to group like I want but that's another story.

.300 WSM, medium varmint contour.
Heavy enough barrel to use for LR target, performance of the long-action sibling in a SA.

The .300 WSM is a very accurate chambering, current IK yard heavy gun world record pending (Balolia also competes with an improved WSM).
Certainly will kill anything roaming this continent...

Your 7 mag fits the bill perfect but on some hunt as you stated 30 cal is required. I live in Colorado and some guides don't even allow 7mm in camp for elk kind of weird I think but anyways I think the 300 win mag fits your bill perfect easy to find components and factory ammo. I say buy some copper hunting bullets like 210 pva or 205 badlands or there 195 and should be great. The belt thing is no problem even if you look up other cases like the prc cases there is die issues on resizing. I've bever had issue with a belt

The 300WSM and 30-06 can work great. You can download them to take down deer and run a heavier & hotter load for moose...