• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber out to 1900 yards, replacing 7mm rem mag

Schw15

Longrange
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    My range is good out to 1900 yards wish more but what i have. I shoot a couple different rifles but i shoot a 7mm rem mag been very pleased with it recoil and performance. 197 smk is great. I ordered another criterion 7mm rem mag barrel since this one did so great but thinking about boring it out to something different to try just seeing what opinions you guys have?

Well what are you wanting? I could name every magnum in the book and you’ll either have it or you won’t want it...

28 nosler
    .300 PRC
    26 nosler
    264-284 norma
    .300 norma if you’re willing to redo some of the rifle components
    .338 ultra mag

...all come to mind using a standard magnum action

I have a 7mm rem mag barrel i didnt want to change out side of a 7mm just open up the chamber just seeing what people had in mind.

I have a 7mm rem mag barrel i didnt want to change out side of a 7mm just open up the chamber just seeing what people had in mind.

Looks like you’re borderline able to open it to 28 Nosler if you so choose - not sure if the belt extends far enough forward to cause case wall weakening issues. Some people on rokslide and whatnot have had good luck.

Other than that it’s basically chop off the chamber and pick something else, or just keep being happy with the 7mmRM. Maybe set yourself up for longer COAL than standard and try out some of the longer, faster, and higher BC 7mm monolithic bullets?

Stick with 7RM. It's a good compromise of performance and barrel life. Moving up to 28 Nosler or the like will cut your barrel life in half or worse. Not worth it for a target rifle in my opinion. I have both and 28 Nosler has been a lesson in constantly stressing out about the throat. My throat moved over 60 thou in the first 100 shots, and that's taking my sweet time between shots.

• Wow
    Reactions: BCX
    Stick with 7RM. It's a good compromise of performance and barrel life. Moving up to 28 Nosler or the like will cut your barrel life in half or worse. Not worth it for a target rifle in my opinion. I have both and 28 Nosler has been a lesson in constantly stressing out about the throat. My throat moved over 60 thou in the first 100 shots, and that's taking my sweet time between shots.

Go be poor somewhere else

I kid.........

Reactions: surgeon260
    Yeah 28 Nosler is the barrel burner LOL I might just stick with the 7nm man Remington Magnum I was just curious a 7mm 300 Win Mag looks pretty interesting

Reactions: Madarcher419
    My throat moved over 60 thou in the first 100 shots, and that's taking my sweet time between shots.

That's what she said.

Thread titles like this make me think about magic bullets that fly out to some limit following the anticipated ballistic drop curve, then suddenly drop dead vertical into the dirt.

If you are planning on staying with the .532 bolt face and 7mm projos, i'd go with a 7-300 win,7-300 weath.
    Now if you decide to move to a 30cal,.532 boltface,there are many options. you might want to consider the 300 RUM since ADG is producing the brass. i don't think anything else in the magnum bf will come close to it in performance with an 8 twist and the Hornady 250 Atip.

If you are planning on staying with the .532 bolt face and 7mm projos, i'd go with a 7-300 win,7-300 weath.
    Now if you decide to move to a 30cal,.532 boltface,there are many options. you might want to consider the 300 RUM since ADG is producing the brass. i don't think anything else in the magnum bf will come close to it in performance with an 8 twist and the Hornady 250 Atip.
    I have a 300 win mag that i use as well use to shoot the 225 eldm now switching over to the 230 smk. I was more on the lines just seeing what people thought for trying something new with the barrel i already have but great options thank you