• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber / Velocity restrictions

Rhys

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I know over the past couple years most matches have been putting restrictions of caliber and or velocity in place to protect the targets. Which is more common to see in place, particularly in the UT, AZ, NV reigon, a speed limit of I'm assuming 3000 fps, or a caliber restriction of no larger than .300 WM? How common is a restriction of no magnums at all? I know my most used rifle wouldn't be allowed at most shoots simply based on speed (22-250 with a 77gr at 3300). Didn't hurt AR500 at 400 and 800, but at the longer distance hits that were centered up sure didn't move the plate much.

most large matches use the 6mm to 30 cal rule with a 3100fps limit. 22 calibers are not allowed mostly because its too hard to spot impacts on steel past 700 yards unless you're the 1st shooter on the stage.