• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

caliber/weapon consolidation advice.

squirrel_slayer

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
casa grande, az
Not sure if this is the appropriate sub forum for this question so please bare with me. A few years ago I sold a lot of guns between a loss of a job and I went overboard on the #of calibers I owned. I consolidated to a 5 caliber system (22lr, 9mm, 38spl, .308, 12gauge) this has been working quite well for me but the .308 is a bit punishing both in cost and recoil (gas gun) so I built a 300blk ar and very happy with it which brings me to 6 cals. So my question is do I scratch the .308 ar and get a .308 bolt and gear up more for 300blk. Also I have been practicing my long range shooting and really want more trigger time and .223ai seems to be the ticket. Since glass is the most expensive investment of the rifle I'm thinking a savage with a .308 and .223ai barrels/bolt faces and I have plenty of brass/primers to last a long while for .300blk and .223ai. Don't get me wrong id like to have it all but I'm limited fincially as to how many guns and trigger time(ammo) I can afford.

Re: caliber/weapon consolidation advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If .308 is costly you need to go with a .223 or .243</div></div>

Yeah, i was going to suggest a .243, unless that uses too much powder and you are worried about the cost of powder. Then something like a .223 would be good.

The 223AI is really a decent choice. I like mine a lot. If 1000+- is acceptable the wind is kind and your spotter is first rate the AI is truely a hoot to shoot. LC brass, 25gr. of powder, some 80gr. Amax seconds,you can have just as much fun as the big boys and not break the bank doing it. Not to mention the 223AI is pretty barrel friendly.

Maybe look into a 22-250. It is accurate, fast and flat shooting. Uses the same bullets as a .223 but a bit more velocity. I had one and really liked it. It's a good all around cartridge. I think Medium game would be the biggest I'd go. A box of ammo for wont break the bank. Just my 2 cents.

I jumped on the 223AI bandwagon a couple months ago...so glad I did. 80gr A-Max beats a 308/175SMK to 1000yd in everything except energy. Haven't had to buy new dies yet either; the 223 Lee Collet die I had has worked great for neck-sizing.

80gr A-Max @ 2890fps from a 22" 1:7 barrel using 26.2gr Varget. Inexpensive components, no recoil, simply fun. I shoot the AI about 3x more than I shoot my 260 now.