• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Caliber

Darkride

Morior Invictus
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2023
Raleigh NC
I searched for a similar thread and didn’t find one. I have the opportunity to hunt in the Sudan in October. My Son-in-law Is from there and his uncle owns a sporting goods store and holds a guides license or I could never afford this. Anyway I am a long time hunter stateside but never game like this (my license category will allow me to take all allowable ungulates to include 2 cape buffs which I have been told the lowest powered allowable round is the the .300 win mag. The lowest
recommended is the .375 H&H. I am trying to decide wether to go with the slightly lighter ballistic and be able to also use it here or go with the big girl (.375) and hope to get over seas again? Any thoughts? Thank you in advance for your time.

I have not hunted in Africa, but have seen plenty of big buffs up close.

They will try to kill you and then it's like trying to stop a tank.

In the places I have been, it's a minimum of .375 H&H. Personally, I would want something starting with a 4 or a 5, preferably with double barrels with a good backup.

A 300 WM will be just fine for the other ungulates. I would pass on the cape buffalo.

Thank
I have not hunted in Africa, but have seen plenty of big buffs up close.

They will try to kill you and then it's like trying to stop a tank.

In the places I have been, it's a minimum of .375 H&H. Personally, I would want something starting with a 4 or a 5, preferably with double barrels with a good backup.

A 300 WM will be just fine for the other ungulates. I would pass on the cape buffalo.
Thank you! Maybe I will rent one from the concession and by a .300 anyway to come to your neck of the woods. Thanks again for your time.

See if you can borrow a rifle there or rent one. I’ve shot a 375 H&H and I’ve been right up next to a Cape buffalo ( I grew up in Tampa and mom sent me to Animal camp at Busch Gardens, so I literally fed them one summer) and I’d maybe want a 416 Rigsby to put down a buffalo…although a 375 will do it-I always feel bigger is better when shooting things that can kill you

Reactions: Ronws and Darkride
There's a reason they are called the black death.
Even with a well placed shot with large bore dangerous game calibers they are known to get pissed and kill hunters.
Definitely rent or buy something recommended to take one down.
Something not being mentioned is rifles in those calibers require a different level of skill and practice to shoot accurately especially under stress and adrenalin.
So practice with one would personally be high on my list of things to do.

Even with a well placed shot with large bore dangerous game calibers they are known to get pissed and kill hunters.
Something not being mentioned is rifles in those calibers require a different level of skill and practice to shoot accurately especially under stress and adrenalin.
Man, just reading about calibers like 375s, 416s, etc makes my shoulder...take that back, my whole body, hurt! I think I`d just leave those big ( and VERY dangerous! ) animals to themselves!

Man, just reading about calibers like 375s, 416s, etc makes my shoulder...take that back, my whole body, hurt! I think I`d just leave those big ( and VERY dangerous! ) animals to themselves!
Man if i had the chance i would be all over it.
Wasnt trying to sway anybody just stating some things of consideration.
A range i used to go to when i lived in Arkansas there was a guy from India that was there occasionaly that would bring a rack full of dangerous game rifles.
Some really nice high end double and bolt action rifles.
He would shoot a few but it was mainly one of the RO's a retired LEO would have his run of them.
It looked brutal just watching and no telling what the ammo bill would be for an outing like that.

Reactions: Darkride
See if you can borrow a rifle there or rent one. I’ve shot a 375 H&H and I’ve been right up next to a Cape buffalo ( I grew up in Tampa and mom sent me to Animal camp at Busch Gardens, so I literally fed them one summer) and I’d maybe want a 416 Rigsby to put down a buffalo…although a 375 will do it-I always feel bigger is better when shooting things that can kill you
Thank you. That seems to be the consensus.

Reactions: Ronws
I have hunted dangerous game - took 400 lb black bear with a .44 mag at about 20 yards from a ground stand. Shot a moose with a 30-30 and it chased me up a tree before fell and I was a swat sniper until retirement but this, I agree is a different level. Mainly because of the calibers we are talking about. I have spent time with the .375 and even a .338 lapua but I have never shot the doubles or anything with a 4. In it but I will see what I can rent there and try to find a place here I can rent a similar rifle. Tell you the truth they scare the hell out of me but retirement bored me tears lol. Thank you for the good advice.

Reactions: Ronws and XLR308
Problem with the Cape Buff’s is if you don’t kill them right off, they will stalk you and do their best to extract revenge. They kill well above their weight class. Considering their weight class is 2000 pounds, my recommendation, don’t skimp. I’ve spent time behind a .416 Ruger. Its doable. Don’t even think about anything lighter than a 375 and then only if your PH is there with you ready for the follow up shot. Actually don’t do them at all unless your PH, with good references is there with you ready for “His” follow up shot. (They usually shoot dangerous game at the same time you shoot. Its there life insurance as well as professional reputation).

Go big, its the safe plan, practice a lot, get comfortable with it.

I’d take a .375 with 300 partitions for buff. Buy it, get familiar with it, kill a buffalo, bring it home, load 260 Accubonds and have a hulluva elk/deer/pig/moose/bear rifle.
I’d pay attention to optic/mounting and be sure it could stand up to it. Pick a comfy stock with a good recoil pad and try for no more than 10lbs all up.
This is from a guy who has NEVER been to Africa, btw, just my plan if I ever get to go. I’d post around on a few other forums where more off the membership has likely hunted there.
Have fun. Post pics when you get back!

Problem with the Cape Buff’s is if you don’t kill them right off, they will stalk you and do their best to extract revenge. They kill well above their weight class. Considering their weight class is 2000 pounds, my recommendation, don’t skimp. I’ve spent time behind a .416 Ruger. Its doable. Don’t even think about anything lighter than a 375 and then only if your PH is there with you ready for the follow up shot. Actually don’t do them at all unless your PH, with good references is there with you ready for “His” follow up shot. (They usually shoot dangerous game at the same time you shoot. Its there life insurance as well as professional reputation).

Go big, its the safe plan, practice a lot, get comfortable with it.
Yes thanks. I mean that there is some risk inherent us the attraction but I really don’t need it circling back and tapping on my shoulder lol. Good advice.

Yeah I saw that. Might not be going after all
Will the conflict in Sudan be over by October?

-Stan
lol given my luck probably not

Reactions: stanley_white
I’d take a .375 with 300 partitions for buff. Buy it, get familiar with it, kill a buffalo, bring it home, load 260 Accubonds and have a hulluva elk/deer/pig/moose/bear rifle.
I’d pay attention to optic/mounting and be sure it could stand up to it. Pick a comfy stock with a good recoil pad and try for no more than 10lbs all up.
This is from a guy who has NEVER been to Africa, btw, just my plan if I ever get to go. I’d post around on a few other forums where more off the membership has likely hunted there.
Thank you

A .375 works fine on deer and doesn't even usually mess em up that bad, just pokes on through before they can expand much and they're not going fast enough to punch above their weight like .223rem. CB are not a cow, they're a couple thousand pounds of hate and horns and they're surprisingly robust even after a poke in the pump. Absolutely do not under-gun cape buffalo. I'm fine shooting bear with something a little on the light side but old mbogo has the same warning label as happy fun ball and is not to be taunted.

I’m gonna say something else, again coming from a complete lack of experience, so, flame suit on.
I’ve read quite a bit on African Hunting and have come to the opinion that most of the reputed train wrecks with Cape Buffalo are borne out of stupidity or Peter Capstick tales.
Learn to shoot your rifle from field positions (not just the bench, spend some money on ammo here), place a good bullet where it’s supposed to go, then a couple more wherever you can plant them, give him ample time to bleed out, and go collect the trophy of a lifetime.
I’m pretty envious and happy for you!

I’m gonna say something else, again coming from a complete lack of experience, so, flame suit on.
I’ve read quite a bit on African Hunting and have come to the opinion that most of the reputed train wrecks with Cape Buffalo are borne out of stupidity or Peter Capstick tales.
Learn to shoot your rifle from field positions (not just the bench, spend some money on ammo here), place a good bullet where it’s supposed to go, then a couple more wherever you can plant them, give him ample time to bleed out, and go collect the trophy of a lifetime.
While that's sort of the truth of the matter, it's ignoring the more important fact that, "It's all fun and games till someone losses[sic] an eye." and the fact that it happens to literally the best of them once in a while. My personal and not insignificant experience with African game has given me an appreciation of an expression I've only ever heard while hunting in Africa, "Don't shoot them in the body. It just gives them more air." YMMV. All that anyone really needs to know is, "In Africa, everything bites."

I certainly will post!
A .375 works fine on deer and doesn't even usually mess em up that bad, just pokes on through before they can expand much and they're not going fast enough to punch above their weight like .223rem. CB are not a cow, they're a couple thousand pounds of hate and horns and they're surprisingly robust even after a poke in the pump. Absolutely do not under-gun cape buffalo. I'm fine shooting bear with something a little on the light side but old mbogo has the same warning label as happy fun ball and is not to be taunted.
I agree thank you

In Africa, after the trophy parts are harvested, what happens to the meat portions of the large animals in general and the cape buffalo in particular?

Shooting isn’t a problem. Retired professional shooter but task specific rehearsal (practice lol) and simulation is how I have stayed alive. I love Capstick! Thank you for your response. I never flame good advice.

Last edited:
Someone is quoting something wrong. 375h&h is the minimum for dangerous game in Africa (some also go the energy which is (4000ftlbs minimum). 9.3X62 is on the boarder of that and some places you can get away with it.

I shot my buffalo 9 times with a 416REM 400 gr AFrames. First 3 shots were text book, then it was putting rounds in him to anchor him. I bought a 375h&h and that is what I was going to use. Read the stories about how much harder a 416 hits, I shot my Eland with the 375h&h heart shot. He still ran 20 yards before he folded.

Bullets make a difference they need to be bonded (Swift A-Frames or TBBC) or mono (TSX or CEB).

I'll say this, after my first Buffalo I now own a 458Lott. YMMV

Someone is quoting something wrong. 375h&h is the minimum for dangerous game in Africa (some also go the energy which is (4000ftlbs minimum). 9.3X62 is on the boarder of that and some places you can get away with it.

I shot my buffalo 9 times with a 416REM 400 gr AFrames. First 3 shots were text book, then it was putting rounds in him to anchor him. I bought a 375h&h and that is what I was going to use. Read the stories about how much harder a 416 hits, I shot my Eland with the 375h&h heart shot. He still ran 20 yards before he folded.

Bullets make a difference they need to be bonded (Swift A-Frames or TBBC) or mono (TSX or CEB).

I'll say this, after my first Buffalo I now own a 458Lott. YMMV
I love the voice of experience thank you. My ph told me the same thing after I posted but I appreciate the advice. 9 rounds. That’s crazy. So what I will do is tell my wife I need the .300 then borrow something with a 4 in front of it to use there. Thank you.

Reactions: Inline6
Wish you luck hoping you can do better than this guy!
Screenshot_20230424_202053_Gallery.jpg

...recommended is the .375 H&H. I am trying to decide wether to go with the slightly lighter ballistic and be able to also use it here...

I've almost bought a .375 H&H to do nothing more than deer hunt with a couple of times. (It would be far from my largest caliber I've done that with)

But I wouldn't let something as trivial as not actually going stop you from buying something big and silly.
:D

I shot mine with a 375 H&H using the Hornady 300 grain round nose 1st shot, then Hornady 300 grain FMJ in the magazine. After a 3 hour stalk, there were many cows with calfs in the herd, I took the shot at 125 yards off of shooting sticks. First shot was center who's chest. Second shot was behind his shoulder. My third shot skipped off his 3 inch rib only cutting his hide. He ran off, as did the rest of the herd. His main rival realizing the head bull was injured attacked him. Rolling him over three times and gored him in the groin area. We called for the truck, and attempted to drive off the second bull using the horn and yelling. Once accomplished I finished off the bull with another shot to the chest. Except for the shot that skipped off the rib, all the other shots were in the heart/lung area.
My recommendation is to use an adequate cartridge: 375 H&H and up but practice with it out to at least 100 - 125 yards. Be familiar with the rifle to allow you to use it under stress. Choose a good bullet and shot it off of shooting sticks in practice.
I started out with a 458 Winchester Magnum. Shot it ~100 times the year before I left, but the recoil gave me whiplash. I bought the 375 H&H, fired an additional 50-60 rounds before leaving. My whiplash problems were resolved. So buy something you can shoot.
My other advise is to forget comparing African game to North American game. Their vitals are much further forward. Also, when we tried to roll my bull over for photos, it took 6 guys and a lot of muscles. An animal the second bull flipped over like an empty trash can. We went for a front end loader to move in out of the field. We delivered 1500 pounds of meat to the local butcher. Of course this was in addition to the head, hide, and guts.

Good luck

I shot mine with a 375 H&H using the Hornady 300 grain round nose 1st shot, then Hornady 300 grain FMJ in the magazine. After a 3 hour stalk, there were many cows with calfs in the herd, I took the shot at 125 yards off of shooting sticks. First shot was center who's chest. Second shot was behind his shoulder. My third shot skipped off his 3 inch rib only cutting his hide. He ran off, as did the rest of the herd. His main rival realizing the head bull was injured attacked him. Rolling him over three times and gored him in the groin area. We called for the truck, and attempted to drive off the second bull using the horn and yelling. Once accomplished I finished off the bull with another shot to the chest. Except for the shot that skipped off the rib, all the other shots were in the heart/lung area.
My recommendation is to use an adequate cartridge: 375 H&H and up but practice with it out to at least 100 - 125 yards. Be familiar with the rifle to allow you to use it under stress. Choose a good bullet and shot it off of shooting sticks in practice.
I started out with a 458 Winchester Magnum. Shot it ~100 times the year before I left, but the recoil gave me whiplash. I bought the 375 H&H, fired an additional 50-60 rounds before leaving. My whiplash problems were resolved. So buy something you can shoot.
My other advise is to forget comparing African game to North American game. Their vitals are much further forward. Also, when we tried to roll my bull over for photos, it took 6 guys and a lot of muscles. An animal the second bull flipped over like an empty trash can. We went for a front end loader to move in out of the field. We delivered 1500 pounds of meat to the local butcher. Of course this was in addition to the head, hide, and guts.

Good luck

I started off with a 375h&h shot it a couple hundred times, then stepped up to a 416REM, the transition from the 375h&h to 416REM was not bad. That said I was getting headaches like crazy when I first started shooting the 375h&h. After a couple hundred rounds of 416REM I purchased the 458Lott and it did not feel like a big step up in recoil (no headaches) . I am shooting a 450gr TSX a little more than 2350 fps. I did get it in a R8 platform which fits me well. When you step up to the recoil plate fit matters.

I've almost bought a .375 H&H to do nothing more than deer hunt with a couple of times. (It would be far from my largest caliber I've done that with)

But I wouldn't let something as trivial as not actually going stop you from buying something big and silly.
:D
Exactly!! Lol

I started off with a 375h&h shot it a couple hundred times, then stepped up to a 416REM, the transition from the 375h&h to 416REM was not bad. That said I was getting headaches like crazy when I first started shooting the 375h&h. After a couple hundred rounds of 416REM I purchased the 458Lott and it did not feel like a big step up in recoil (no headaches) . I am shooting a 450gr TSX a little more than 2350 fps. I did get it in a R8 platform which fits me well. When you step up to the recoil plate fit matters.
Thank you for that. The va has suggested I am displaying the early symptoms of something they are calling “breachers syndrome”. It involves blinding headaches from years of heavy recoil and proximity to explosives. I am not sure I buy the whole theory (it’s not a diagnosis). I am not sure I buy the whole theory (it’s not a diagnosis). Lol that was a joke. But anyway this might have to limit my recoil a bit but not before this hunt. Afterwards I can back the caliber into the 3’s again but I will practice here with what I can rent there and buy my .300 anyway lol. Thank you and everybody that’s chimed in here.

Thank you for that. The va has suggested I am displaying the early symptoms of something they are calling “breachers syndrome”. It involves blinding headaches from years of heavy recoil and proximity to explosives. I am not sure I buy the whole theory (it’s not a diagnosis). I am not sure I buy the whole theory (it’s not a diagnosis). Lol that was a joke. But anyway this might have to limit my recoil a bit but not before this hunt. Afterwards I can back the caliber into the 3’s again but I will practice here with what I can rent there and buy my .300 anyway lol. Thank you and everybody that’s chimed in here.
Once you get it sighted in, get off the bench and onto some sticks. I really like the viper flex sticks. They are a quad and very stable. Also have some of the Africa Hunting creations 3 leg shooting sticks. Set up a 3" steel target at 100 yards and work off the sticks with a 22. It will help you see your errors. Sticks is all you are going to have in the bush, get good shooting off of them.

Once you get it sighted in, get off the bench and onto some sticks. I really like the viper flex sticks. They are a quad and very stable. Also have some of the Africa Hunting creations 3 leg shooting sticks. Set up a 3" steel target at 100 yards and work off the sticks with a 22. It will help you see your errors. Sticks is all you are going to have in the bush, get good shooting off of them.
I’ll do that. I shot from the three legged sticks yesterday with a friends .338 and rang a 5 inch plate out 500 yards. I missed at 600 which embarrassed the hell out of me but going back on Saturday. I have never used to so after I redeem myself I back off and start on 2. Thanks.

Reactions: Inline6
In Africa, after the trophy parts are harvested, what happens to the meat portions of the large animals in general and the cape buffalo in particular?
The national food supply is the destination. Sometimes it goes through informal distribution where the farm owner distributes it to his workers and if there's room in the freezer they'll take some for themself. That's the mode that happened for everything I've hunted there. Sometimes, as I gather though I've only seen it once, it goes to the local commercial meat processor. My zebra got turned into commercial salami.

The national food supply is the destination. Sometimes it goes through informal distribution where the farm owner distributes it to his workers and if there's room in the freezer they'll take some for themself. That's the mode that happened for everything I've hunted there. Sometimes, as I gather though I've only seen it once, it goes to the local commercial meat processor. My zebra got turned into commercial salami.
Good to know that it`s not wasted. Thanks.

Good luck
That's the adventure story I like. And I hope the OP can report back with something similar.

I have not hunted over there but everyone I have read who has has gone no smaller than .375 H&H. I also agree, if you can handle it, .416 Rigby would also be good. It's not just the weight of the slug, it is the amount of real estate it presents to make a wound channel. As described in your story, 3 shots slowed it down enough for a rival to tackle him. And you still had to finish off with another shot.

Most of our meat was donated to a local school of 176 children. It provided the children with breakfast and lunch, which was probably the only two meals they received each day.

That's the adventure story I like. And I hope the OP can report back with something similar.

I have not hunted over there but everyone I have read who has has gone no smaller than .375 H&H. I also agree, if you can handle it, .416 Rigby would also be good. It's not just the weight of the slug, it is the amount of real estate it presents to make a wound channel. As described in your story, 3 shots slowed it down enough for a rival to tackle him. And you still had to finish off with another shot.
I hunt mostly with a .308 when I'm over there but anything substantially bigger than a white tail deer I prefer to use a .338WM or .375 Ruger or .338LM for, as indicated by size and distance. You don't need big bore magnums like a .375H&H/.375 Ruger for anything but the larger critters and anything under the dangerous game label but you're also not really over-gunned using it on the smaller things and, one might consider those .375's as a kind of entry-level dangerous game rifle. I have lost 1 springbok (killed the next day) to a .308, 1 kudu (never found) to a .375 Ruger and 1 impala (never found) to a .300WSM. The kudu and impala were given fatal wounds with magnum rifles and got far enough away to be lost. The springbok was all my fault, I screwed up and gave it a severe but survivable flesh wound and failed to follow up quickly with a kill shot requiring a second hunt to mercy it. I've never seen animals so tough as African plains game and I've never seen so many bullets fail as on African plains game. Bullets that I've used in the USA to great effect which have never disappointed me here have proven entirely insufficient for the task on critters over there that appeared no more durable than a cow or a sheep. A 325WSM over here that I used on a 120lbs blacktail deer did surprisingly little meat damage but broke the bones in the front half so bad there was never a possibility of a chase. Too much gun is a phrase that should be updated in the American psyche to be "too much velocity" when it comes to hunting. We culturally lean toward velocity to bring increased lethality here where mass is probably the better tool and mass is definitely the better tool to use in Africa in my experience.

Awesome story and thank you for it! It looks like the Sudan is out for the foreseeable future. I am going to go to my former home state of Maine and hunt bear and deer this fall, come home to NC to hunt hogs and fish striper and redfish and hope to go to Africa in the spring. In the meantime I awaiting my new Weatherby .375 magnum but I am going to put some time in with a friends .416 and try not to dislocate anything lol. At 62 I look back on sniper school and shooting several hundred rounds a week and if we were caught with padding we failed. And now catching a tough dog on the sleeve lays me up. But I can still shoot though so as everyone here that knows has recommended bringing enough gun I am going to listen. Thank you.