• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Calibrating your NightForce Scope

dan221081

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
Hi Guys,

As you all kindly offered loads of good advice when I was looking at scopes. I have now got my Nightforce 5.5 - 22 x 50 Zero Stop Scope (I picked it up from EuroOptic when I was in the states (Great Service btw). The scope is really clear but the way I have calibrated it so far is to setup the focus (crosshair) on the lowest magnification. This gives me an amazingly clear picture at 5.5 but when I move up the mag I start to loose clarity with the crosshair. I am not sure if it is just me and not the scope because I haven't mounted it yet so keeping the sight picture still (and my vision though it) at higher magnifications isnt helping me
wink.gif
. This leads me on to two questions :-

1. What is the best mount to attach the scope to the picatinny base that I have on my remington 700 PSS ? Going on the standard stock that I have (HS Precision) what height is the best ?

2. When you calibrate the focus on your scope is there a particular way?

Thanks

Dan

Re: Calibrating your NightForce Scope

There are two things to focus on your scope.

One is the ocular lens, i.e., the one closest to your eye. That lens serves <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> to focus the reticle for your eye, and once it's adjusted for your eye, it won't need to be adjusted again. Adjust it while looking at a plain background, like the sky, so that the reticle is instantly clear and sharp as soon as you get your eye behind the scope.

The other is the parallax adjustment, which serves to place the target and the reticle on the same optical plane. That one will need to be readjusted whenever you change distances to the target.

When you focus the crosshair set it on the highest magnification and set the parallax to infinity. Then look at a light colored background and adjust until you have a crisp image. Hope this helps.
David

my nightforce required constant adjustment of the focus depending on distance and power. I still felt like it was one of the best scopes I have owned considering the quality and features it had. The SB and Nikon I had before that were not as needy when it came to focusing IMO.

What "focus" required constant adjustment? The reticle itself using the occular adjustment or the side parallax adjustment? If the latter the it is supposed to be like that.