• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

California government doubles down on stupid

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017

Folks, they simply want to control every single aspect of every second of your life.

One way or another this is going to end in massive violence.

1580302405218.png

Reactions: lash
    anyone above who made comments negatively in regards to this bill I’m curios why you think it’s bad ? How does this positively or negatively affect GDP ? How bout employment numbers ? Maybe thoughts on gig work and social security for all sucking off the government tit ?

Personally I think it benefits more folks than it hinders but I’m willing to listen and learn from others.

Reactions: Frank Warren
    anyone above who made comments negatively in regards to this bill I’m curios why you think it’s bad ? How does this positively or negatively affect GDP ? How bout employment numbers ? Maybe thoughts on gig work and social security for all sucking off the government tit ?

Personally I think it benefits more folks than it hinders but I’m willing to listen and learn from others.

How about it's none of the fucking government's business how employee and employer wish to relate to each other?

So you think it helps more people than it hinders. Goody. Who do you think you are that you have the right to fuck some people over because the majority would be "helped"?

And why are you tying social security into this topic? Do you think that independent contractors pay no FICA taxes or something?

It hurts "gig workers" and consumers in the same way that increases in minimum wage hurt low wage workers and consumers. If costs go up without a commensurate increase in revenue, businesses will look to ways to cut costs- in this case labor costs. If they cannot cut costs they will increase price. Increases in price hurt consumers. Decreasing labor costs in a market with a "floor" means decreasing the number of laborers. This law is essentially a minimum wage law directed at the free lance economy. That will only hurt that economy.

Remember when you could go into a grocery store or a walmart and see every check out lane staffed with a checker and a courtesy clerk? No? It's been a long time. I made $4.25 as a grocery bagger at my first job. Now, you check and bag your own groceries, and check yourself out at Walmart and Target and Lowes and The Home Depot too. And, you are starting to see kiosks at fast food restaurants in place of cash register attendants. Minimum wage laws did that.

Folks, they simply want to control every single aspect of every second of your life.

One way or another this is going to end in massive violence.

View attachment 7236469

Maybe the play isn’t stupid but well thought out to chase more of the borg your way to be assimilated.

It's the government controlling the free market and freedom of choice.

Forcing companies to make a choice to either hire contractors on as employees or fire them as a contractor.

Do we really need to get into the weeds?

From responses I can see only one person actually read the bill And not the FOX entertainment spin. I had higher hopes but Fake news wins again.

From responses I can see only one person actually read the bill And not the FOX entertainment spin. I had higher hopes but Fake news wins again.
    Make a list of successful business policies from California.
    5 will do and what makes them good for the tax payer.

R

Reactions: Yasherka
    It hurts "gig workers" and consumers in the same way that increases in minimum wage hurt low wage workers and consumers. If costs go up without a commensurate increase in revenue, businesses will look to ways to cut costs- in this case labor costs. If they cannot cut costs they will increase price. Increases in price hurt consumers. Decreasing labor costs in a market with a "floor" means decreasing the number of laborers. This law is essentially a minimum wage law directed at the free lance economy. That will only hurt that economy.

Remember when you could go into a grocery store or a walmart and see every check out lane staffed with a checker and a courtesy clerk? No? It's been a long time. I made $4.25 as a grocery bagger at my first job. Now, you check and bag your own groceries, and check yourself out at Walmart and Target and Lowes and The Home Depot too. And, you are starting to see kiosks at fast food restaurants in place of cash register attendants. Minimum wage laws did that.
    This is one of the biggest reasons why still to this day I refuse to use the 'robot checkouts' at any business that has them. I prefer to keep humans employed.

I remember banks in the 80's that had a whole whack of people working there. Now, so much is done by computer or the customer that there are very few actual employees in banks. (I won't even get started on the banks charges though... they continue to rise, double, increase, and multiply)

But yeah, it is about keeping humans employed. And I feel like Don Quixote.

From this response I can see that you're close minded, do not understand basic economics, and did not comprehend what that bill actually said. Part of my job is doing legislative analysis and the impact on my organization. I have this bill on my computer screen currently.

I can state plainly that you really have no idea what you're talking about and just going off your own ideological instincts.

This bill hurts far more than it helps.

Perhaps if you'd apply the admonishment of Cicero of "cui bono" (who benefits?) then you would gain better enlightenment.

Reactions: 308pirate
    This is one of the biggest reasons why still to this day I refuse to use the 'robot checkouts' at any business that has them. I prefer to keep humans employed.

I remember banks in the 80's that had a whole whack of people working there. Now, so much is done by computer or the customer that there are very few actual employees in banks. (I won't even get started on the banks charges though... they continue to rise, double, increase, and multiply)

Wondering if you have used PayPal ? I believe in keeping folks employed but to keep costs down stores particularly grocery have adjusted by eliminating checkers. We as a society have chosen convince over employment in more than one way. China has grocery stores that you don’t even check out of, you just take items and walk out and you’re charged. Unfortunately this is where we are headed.

Flat refuse to use the kiosks.
    In the price on every item in the store is included the help.
    Remove help and there should be discounts.
    I'm not seeing anything discounted or receiving a W-2.

R

From this response I can see that you're close minded, do not understand basic economics, and did not comprehend what that bill actually said. Part of my job is doing legislative analysis and the impact on my organization. I have this bill on my computer screen currently.

I can state plainly that you really have no idea what you're talking about and just going off your own ideological instincts.

This bill hurts far more than it helps.

Perhaps if you'd apply the admonishment of Cicero of "cui bono" (who benefits?) then you would gain better enlightenment.
    Well if you’re near the capital this morning maybe meet for coffe and good discussion, I’ll be in the area around 9:30 ?

Wondering if you have used PayPal ? I believe in keeping folks employed but to keep costs down stores particularly grocery have adjusted by eliminating checkers. We as a society have chosen convince over employment in more than one way. China has grocery stores that you don’t even check out of, you just take items and walk out and you’re charged. Unfortunately this is where we are headed.
    Guess who also buys those products?
    They'll not be buying any if they haven't a job.
    It seems like no big deal until automation makes it to your level.
    I'd not be using china as an economic model.
    A bubble economy that exists as a result of the largest consumer base being sold out by their government.
    A simple trap set and sold to create more of those in need of government assistance.

R

I’d like to believe you’re being oppressed, but the problem with California is Californians. They’re geting exactly what they voted for and exactly what they deserve.
    Sorry, but it’s the truth. If you’re not a communist move to a free state.
    I agree with you. The only real problem California has, too damn many Californians. But would rather you stay there, does not matter to me what your political views are. Just stay in California please.

• Haha
    Reactions: Fig
    Guess who also buys those products?
    They'll not be buying any if they haven't a job.
    It seems like no big deal until automation makes it to your level.
    I'd not be using china as an economic model.
    A bubble economy that exists as a result of the largest consumer base being sold out by their government.
    A simple trap set and sold to create more of those in need of government assistance.

R
    You realize we have a massive bubble economy also ? QE forever, Powell’s Not QE REPO back stop, Wanting a permanent roof in the REPO market.

"Marxist Economics" is NOT "Economics". Guess who has a degree in "Economics"!
    Alexandria.jpg

Yours must have also graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences with your econ degree!

This law has nothing to do with economics except as an exercise in the political philosophy of total control. I have no doubt that you, and the morons who did this believe it will lead to increased revenues for the government of California. Just as you probably believe that more taxes increase the economy and government revenue. Is Arthur Laffer is a shitty economist, but Paul Krugman is a great one?

You can't have a conversation about economics or politics with people who disbelieve reality, and have philosophies that don't conform to the one we share. You are starting from a position of massive ignorance and clearly believe things that are provably false. I would never even discuss economics with you, but I am always interested, as your philosophy fails and causes suffering for so many in real time, to hear your excuses as to why it is failing, like in Venezuela, or anywhere else it has EVER been tried.

Someone can try to argue with you, but I won't, because it's pointless. Your mind is already made up on a religious level. Otherwise you would not defend something so indefensible and opposed to economic liberty, which is really all "capitalism" is.

"Marxist Economics" is NOT "Economics". Guess who has a degree in "Economics"!
    Alexandria.jpg

Yours must have also graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences with your econ degree!

This law has nothing to do with economics except as an exercise in the political philosophy of total control. I have no doubt that you, and the morons who did this believe it will lead to increased revenues for the government of California. Just as you probably believe that more taxes increase the economy and government revenue. Is Arthur Laffer is a shitty economist, but Paul Krugman is a great one?

You can't have a conversation about economics or politics with people who disbelieve reality, and have philosophies that don't conform to the one we share. You are starting from a position of massive ignorance and clearly believe things that are provably false. I would never even discuss economics with you, but I am always interested, as your philosophy fails and causes suffering for so many in real time, to hear your excuses as to why it is failing, like in Venezuela, or anywhere else it has EVER been tried.

Someone can try to argue with you, but I won't, because it's pointless. Your mind is already made up on a religious level. Otherwise you would not defend something so indefensible and opposed to economic liberty, which is really all "capitalism" is.
    Interesting rant. How many folks you employ ?

Why does it matter? It's not like you'll change your mind, and I've pledged my life to fighting Marxism in all its forms. Nothing will change your mind, and nothing will change mine. You can't argue with materialist philosophy. People who believe in it have to see the suffering and ultimately murder it causes for themselves, and by then it's too late.

Trying to eliminate self-employment by restricting income isn't gulags, but the line between that and gulags is straight, and you will not find even the idea of self-employment to be legal in any of your worker's paradises at all, so it's a necessary step.

The right thing to do would be to shoot communists as soon as they are identified. They shouldn't be allowed to mix with real human beings. If the state is more important than the individual we ought to make all communist's prove it with their lives. It's only common sense!

But...since you ask. I don't employ any myself, nor am I anyone's employee.
    My wife has about 1,400 across four companies in six countries, and I help quite a bit with that (was I Atlanta last week at an advisory board meeting).

Speaking of your "Progressive Economics", one thing I am dealing with right now is a problem sales guy in Europe. I won't/can't get into it, but it's very bad. He can't stay where his is. We are waiting from the verdict from the CFO, working with the lawyers, to see if it will be cheaper to fire him, or simply dismiss him from his duties and keep paying his salary till he hits retirement age (12 more years). He has already taken 30 days of paid "Burn-Out" leave this year. He can come back to work for a day, and then take another 30 days before the year is out.

Wouldn't that be great if California had such progressive laws?

So, it looks like the CA Trucker Association has filled suit on behave of 70,000 truckers in CA. The problem I have is laws should applied to everyone equally and this one doesn't as it allows for exceptions, such as: doctors, dentists, psychologists, insurance agents, stockbrokers, lawyers, accountants, engineers, and real estate agents.

This sounds more like CA gov going after ride share companies when their drivers tried to Unionize. I believe Uber ended up paying out a large sum of money to try and make that go away.

Reactions: seansmd
    Well if you’re near the capital this morning maybe meet for coffe and good discussion, I’ll be in the area around 9:30 ?
    Sorry, I just saw this, but am no where near there in any case.
    I do thank you for the offer.

Reactions: Tahoe
    I’ll give you my favorite.

At- will

You know this has limitations in CA, right? This is one I would have never brought up.

CA recognizes an "implied contract exception to at-will employment" that effectively negates what at-will employment means.

I never lived in CA, but remotely managed people there and was subject to all laws and regs. I will tell you it is damn near impossible to terminate employment for someone in CA and win the law suit that will soon follow. Even if that employee has zero performance and calls you stupid every morning (not joking).

Reactions: lash

This law will fundamentally change the employer/employee relationship for many individuals and firms. This relationship was generally governed by IRS regulations whereby a number of tests were applied to determine if an independent contractor was in fact an employee. Being a CPA and having been both and employee and independent contractor I am familiar with the rules. Some may benefit but the unintended consequences will far outweigh any benefits. There are numerous sectors of the economy that utilize independent contractors in the normal course of business such as transportation, law, software development all of which have a significant presence in CA. By changing this relationship to an employer/employee relationship, the employer is now burdened with both regulatory and statutory costs which will either be absorbed by the employee or employer. In addition, independent contractors who were generally free from employer restrictions may find themselves bound by employer agreements which may limit or eliminate their ability for outside work.

You can thank the let's be as evil as possible folks at Uber for this fine mess.

Technocrats dedicated to not following the same laws the little folks have to.

There's some homies in Oakland who are under the impression NIKE and REEBOK stores have this new system as well :LOL:

• Haha
    Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Meanwhile in New York...

Stupid Communist sheep will bleat about it being for a "good cause" as long as it is one of their communist overlords taxing them.
    So many people really deserve to feel the boot of communism on their necks.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Looks like most of us here have forgotten how to use the "Ignore" feature.

Don't feed the trolls.

Interesting rant. How many folks you employ ?
    Nice passive aggressive. So to have insight into economic theory one must be a business owner with a certain amount of employees? Or was there more to that deep insight of yours we missed?

Looks like most of us here have forgotten how to use the "Ignore" feature.

Don't feed the trolls.

Sounds like a typical response from someone who can’t discuss a topic openly. Why not read the bill and come up with why you don’t agree with it ? Or is it easier to be a follower and let FOX entertainment decide your views for you ?

The rest of the States need to pass legislation forbidding Californian's from relocating to their State. Trump could back it up by building an additional wall that starts on the Arizona border and goes straight to Canada. The liberals are so interbred on the west coast, it'd be virtually impossible to separate them out at this point...

The rest of the States need to pass legislation forbidding Californian's from relocating to their State. Trump could back it up by building an additional wall that starts on the Arizona border and goes straight to Canada. The liberals are so interbred on the west coast, it'd be virtually impossible to separate them out at this point...
    Don’t forget to aggressively deport the ones that are alreadyon this side of the wall. @Tahoe would need to go over the wall as well.

Reactions: Flyingbullseye