• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

california question

newshooter215

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2010
Redding Ca
im from california and i was looking up if you are aloud to own a 50 cal rifle . some say its banned and others say its not?

Re: california question

so could i possobly find someone wanting to get rid of a 50 cal and buy it off them or is that still illigal

NO, you had to have owned it durring the registation period in 2000 or 2001. Too late now. You can buy a 50 DTC though. Google it.

The 50 BMG is banned. Any wildcat 50 that can't be fired in a BMG chamber is fine. The DTC that USMCj mentioned is easy to come by and several makers chamber for it.

You can get a 510 DTC upper that fits on an AR-15 lower and the cost is around $1200. I'm tempted.
myerfire

so its a 50 cal round that is shaved down a little? i can deal with that..where can u pick one up at?

You had to have registered a .50BMG rifle by Jan 2005. You can get a .510DTC rifle, which is slightly trimmed and with a different shoulder angle, but generally the same cartridge as .50BMG.

If you have a CA registered Assault Weapon AR-15, you can add a .50BMG upper. And just so you know, the CA ban only applies to shoulder-fired rifles. You can still have a .50BMG M2
wink.gif

so the 50 dtc is the same as the .510 dtc? and i thought the .50 round is banned so how is the .50 bmg m2 legal then

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: newshooter215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so the 50 dtc is the same as the .510 dtc? and i thought the .50 round is banned so how is the .50 bmg m2 legal then</div></div>
The ammo is legal the rifles, if not registered are not legal in Kalifornia. You pretty much only have .50DTC
There are 2 different versions of the .50DTC one is the EDM version and one is the Europ version. It was originally designed by Eric Danis who had the same military caliber ban in Europe so he designed it. I talked to him several time during the design phase several years ago when I frequented BiggerHammer. Funny thing about it is that Triggerfifty kinda scared him out of there (separate story). Anyways it is basically the .50 bmg round that has been trimmed by .10 with the shoulder bumped .10 it is then fire formed to give a more straight wall and also a higher case capacity. Here is a link to my last reloading for my DTC.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...793#Post1162793

so i would want to get a .50 dtc in the edm version or am i wrong. its just confusing because some call the rifle 510 dtc and some call it 50 dtc so i was confused. also do i have to reload my own ammo or can u just buy it somewere. last thing is do u know a manufacture i could pick one up at.

It is currently called the .50DTC
It seems as though the EDM version is the version that is more popular at this time. The two can be interchanged but fire formed rounds may have some interchangeability. The real difference between the two is the radius or lack of at the shoulder.
I would get the EDM version.
As to ammo there is a good source of ammo from Jerry Hazlett
405-284-6869
Amer-I-CAN Enterprises, Jerry Hazlett
Class 06 FFL, Ammunition Manufacturer
He is a real good guy and you can buy all kinds of different ammo from him.
I can also help you out on some if you need.

i live in redding ca (norcal) and i want to spend like 5 to 6 grand but i have to spend a little more for a sick one i will.

You could go with a McMillan or an EDM Windrunner. The McMillan is more accurate, but the Windrunner M96 price has been reduced to $6K
http://www.edmarms.com/main.htm

http://02bfe1c.netsolhost.com/products/m96.htm

The reason I would steer you toward the Windrunner other than it is what I shoot. But the M96 will allow caliber conversions. What does that mean? Well you can in about 20 seconds convert it to .338LM or .408CT or as we have been checking on in another threat the .375/408CT. You use the same rifle same scope etc. so all you have to do is turn the turrets for a different dope and bam you are on target.

The EDM Windrunner M96 is the original of the .50DTC EDM. This is the one I have in .50DTC and the one I would suggest especially if you may want to also shoot other calibers. It is pretty cool.

If a windrunner is in your budget just call them. They make rifles in the DTC chambering and are very familiar with the California BS gun laws. It's one of the finest 50's available, you can't go wrong by spending your money there.

i just wanted to make sure because i like it it looks good and the price is ok, where is the best place to pick one up at? do u have to order it or is there a dealer

Basically if you don't already own a "registered" 50 BMG you can't get one. 50 BMG rifle is defined as a rifle capable of chambering and firing a 50 BMG cartridge. So 510DTC, 416 Barrett, 408 CheyTac, etc... all still fine. Also, the law specifies 50 BMG <span style="font-style: italic">rifles</span>, so in theory I guess you could have a 50 BMG <span style="font-style: italic">pistol</span> (LOL)

Excerpt from Kalifornia Penal Code:

(a) (1) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any assault weapon or any .50 BMG rifle, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for four, six, or eight years.

(2) Except as provided in subdivision (a) of Section 12280, any person who lawfully possesses any .50 BMG rifle prior to January 1, 2005, that is not specified as an assault weapon under Section 12276 or 12276.5 or defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Section 12276.1, shall register the .50 BMG rifle with the department no later than April 30, 2006...

(a) As used in this chapter, a ".50 BMG rifle" means a center fire rifle that can fire a .50 BMG cartridge and is not already an assault weapon pursuant to Section 12276, 12276.1, or 12276.5, or a machinegun, as defined in Section 12200.
(b) As used in this chapter, a ".50 BMG cartridge" means a cartridge that is designed and intended to be fired from a center fire rifle and that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) It has an overall length of 5.54 inches from the base to the tip of the bullet.
(2) The bullet diameter for the cartridge is from .510 to, and including, .511 inch.
(3) The case base diameter for the cartridge is from .800 inch to, and including, .804 inch.
(4) The cartridge case length is 3.91 inches.
(c) A ".50 BMG rifle" does not include any "antique firearm," nor any curio or relic as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(d) As used in this section, "antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.

As stated above the EDM would be a good choice. Shoot many calibers by changing barrel and in some case bolt. Including BMG if you move from Kali at a later date. .510 is the bullet dia. of both the BMG and DCT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad_Karma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basically if you don't already own a "registered" 50 BMG you can't get one.</div></div>

As I believe someone else mentioned, if you have a registered "assault rifle", it can be made to shoot .50 BMG without further issue. The obvious scenario is a registered AR15, where you could swap the upper to a .50 BMG kit such as the Bohica completely legally...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulyosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The obvious scenario is a registered AR15, where you could swap the upper to a .50 BMG kit such as the Bohica completely legally...
</div></div>

Nope. Muse be a registered 50bmg in Ca. If your registered assault rifle were also registered as a 50bmg then yes, but the assault weapon ban and 50 bmg ban are 2 seperate issues.

JMO, but I wouldn't leave it up to a judge to decide for me.

The DTC or 416 Barrett would be my choice because the bolt heads are the same as the BMG, thus a simple barrel swap can convert to BMG anyway.

FWIW, you can get a DTA HTI for around $7k and be able to have a switch barrel rifle to 408/375 Cheytac and 416 Barrett in under a minute.

Let me know if you're interested.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bad_Karma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulyosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The obvious scenario is a registered AR15, where you could swap the upper to a .50 BMG kit such as the Bohica completely legally...
</div></div>

Nope. Muse be a registered 50bmg in Ca. If your registered assault rifle were also registered as a 50bmg then yes, but the assault weapon ban and 50 bmg ban are 2 seperate issues.

JMO, but I wouldn't leave it up to a judge to decide for me.

The DTC or 416 Barrett would be my choice because the bolt heads are the same as the BMG, thus a simple barrel swap can convert to BMG anyway.
</div></div>

This has been hashed out on Calguns extensively. The DOJ states:

What is considered a .50 BMG Rifle under California law?

A .50 BMG rifle is defined as a centerfire rifle that can fire a .50 BMG cartridge and is not already an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code sections 12276, 12276.1, or 12276.5 PC, or a machinegun as defined by Penal Code section 12200. These sections of law may be accessed on this website’s on-line Dangerous Weapons Control Laws.

The important bit is: "not already an assault weapon"...

.50 DTC is perfectly legal in Commifornia in all configurations except suppressed of course. I live in commiefornia also check out calguns.net and post all your questions in the centerfire rifles section and we will gladly answer it. run a search first though there have been plenty of .50 dtc threads started up recently

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulyosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The important bit is: "not already an assault weapon"...</div></div>

Possible loophole. I'm no lawyer. Good luck with that...

Interested to see how case law unfolds though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: newshooter215</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so the 50 dtc is the same as the .510 dtc? and i thought the .50 round is banned so how is the .50 bmg m2 legal then </div></div>

The M2 isnt a rifle per DOJ/ATF/Law. A rifle is a shoulder fired weapon and the M2 isnt shoulder fired

Exactly.

I live in California; not sure where this "Commiefornia" place is.
wink.gif