• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing California *Wilderness Unlimited*

Re: California *Wilderness Unlimited*

I'm just starting my second year as a Wilderness Unlimited member and I am pleased with what they provide. I didn't know anything about WU before joining and enough negative commentary about them to do quite a bit of checking before signing up. The complaints that I heard fell into two categories-(1) there was some sort of old boy network when it came to reservations (i.e., only certain members got the best properties on the high demand times, like opening days) and (2) most of the properties were not productive.

On point 1, I have never seen anything like an old boy network in play. Sometimes I get the first choice opening day reservation I want, sometimes I don't. That's how I'd expect it to work. For example, last duck season I got my second choice for opening day and my first choice for the closer and during the season whenever I wanted to hunt a specific property I got the reservation I asked for. I got my first choice for the fall turkey opener. On Pheasant season I didn’t get an opening day reservation and for spring turkey I got my first choice, but for the day after the opener rather than the opener.

On point 2, there are some clunker properties out there but most of the properties are good, some are great, and there are a lot of properties to choose from so you get access to huge areas of land in a state where public land to hunt on is at a premium.

One of the great things about WU is that they limit the number of people on a property to a number that is low enough that you aren’t being crowded and have plenty of elbow room. The downside, and this is something that is also a complaint that people have with WU, is that you have to reserve hunting spots in advance and there are some pretty specific rules about member conduct on the properties and that causes some people to feel that the restrictions are bullcrap. I.e., you can’t draw or pluck birds on the ranches, you have to check in and check out, you often can’t drive off road on the properties, you have to be in a blind a half hour before shooting starts, etc. Most of the rules are for safety, some for the convenience of the property owners. I happen to really like the existence of the rules because they keep the hunting experience safe and hassle free, but if you’re the type who likes to do things as you like when you like, WU probably isn’t for you.

Also, and this is a big one, a lot of the better properties are in Northern Cal, so if you’re in Central or So Cal you probably don’t get as many good properties as those of us up north have easy access to.

WU is definitely not for everyone but I am really happy with it. Anyone who wants to talk about it off the board should PM me and I’ll be happy to share my views with you.

They Suck.
Keep paying their hefty fees. I love to hunt the perimeter just to piss you high paying fools off.

And there is a perfect example of the type of inconsiderate, piss all over everyone as long as he's getting his, jerk that you don't see on WU properties, which is why I am a happy WU member.

I was a Member - I went to a few properties and was completely unimpressed. One big issue is that there are hardly any, I mean zero decent properties in SoCal, where I live, and where a great majority of the members live. So the places that are close enough for a short weekend hunt are almost always packed by SoCal folks. For the amount of money that you're paying I'd say you're better off elsewhere. You don't really feel like you're hunting on YOUR Club, you feel like you're paying to hunt on someone elses land and that you to follow their very strict rules. I was out after one year.
If you have that kind of money and live in SoCal look at Tejon ranch - they have a varmint and non-game deal you can buy into that is fairly reasonable in comparison and the Tejon is known to produce and is close by.

Good luck and Good Hunting.

swarrick, I believe it's a mutation of the old American Sportsman's Club from the 80's. I joined that back then. Cost me $2500 per yr. Buddy of mine belongs to W.U. now. He likes it. Gives him a place to go. He shot a nice pig on one ranch. Got a small deer and a bear on another. Some folks swear by it. I always got the feeling that the upper eschelon of the organization of A.S. was using us peons to fund their hunting leases. I could never get on one of the "Premium" ranches opening day, etc. my 2cents. different strokes/folks, ya know?
Good luck. I'd ask a bunch of people that are in W.U. who AREN'T trying to sell ya a membership what they think of it now, before I'd let go the cash.

"I believe it's a mutation of the old American Sportsman's Club from the 80's. I joined that back then. Cost me $2500 per yr"

*Big Smile*

Weasethis you are an old codger aren't you....Baahaahaa! I'm really glad you said that actually, it brought up some fond memories. My Folks joined that club way back when, I remember it vividly. They came over to our house personally and interviewed the whole family just to see if we were the type of people they wanted in their club.

We had many good hunts on their properties, my only regret was we had to cancel our membership about a month before I got my drivers licence.

-Pat

Why, yes I am! LOL. They came to my house too! Great marketing technique....only I was an oilfield salesman at the time, had my real estate license and had probably been to more "how to sell" seminars than they had hairs on their balls! LOL...The old "dangle it and then take it away", "well, maybe you can't afford it, "we're not sure you're right for this product" ploys didn't work on old ish. I had already made up my mind cuz they had landed the Varian ranch out of Paso Robles and in my earlier days, I had been on that ranch and loved it. Shot the hell outta the pigs and quail there. Hung for a while and got the Colo. elk bug. Been bit ever since! Justin, my buddy likes the WU group and showed me a brochure...still got some of the same old leases....brings back memories for me too! Thanks for reminding me about the "interview" LOL

Weasthis is correct, it was the American Sportsman's Club and grew into WU. I was a member for 3 years and could not get on a property during the openers, or when new places were introduced. Once they were paid I had no contact from the club in follow up. The guy that screened me never returned my calls when I had trouble with access, or just general questions. After 3 years of paying dues, I chose to go elsewhere. Hopefully the club has improved since my day. I could never get anyone to tell me how large their membership was either. It must be well over 1,000.

there was a WU property near a duck club I used to belong to off I-5 a lot of hunters but never seemed to be much shooting there