• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calipers and micrometers

Powder_Burns

Shoutbox Veteran
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2009
    Colorado
    Is starrett still the go to? Are all the digitals on the market pretty much the same crap?
    What is everyone using for micrometers?

Reactions: ronwild
    I had a set of Harbor Freight calipers, but then got a little more serious about reloading and bought the Mitutoyo. But they both read exactly the same measurements every time I check them. That said, it seems like all are the same to me. Battery lasts longer in Mitutoyo and it is smoother, but other than that I do not notice a lot of difference, but maybe I just got lucky with my Harbor Freight set.

Starrett is pretty expensive for what you’d be using it for. You don’t need a massive amount of resolution for reloading. Mitutoyo is even overkill but that’s what I use bc the price was good

I have mity calipers because I found them on a great sale for 85 bucks or something but I use an rcbs ball vernier micrometer that was 50 and it seems pretty good to me and I don’t use it all that much.

One Starrett and a couple of Harbor Freight. The HF's check to the Starrett. I keep my Hornady comparators mounted to a HF.

I have had one bad HF from the box. It skipped as it moved. Free replacement. Used to see $10 coupons about once a month for them, been a while but I think they said no big sales until after Covid.

I've been using a Hornady brand digital caliper for probably the last 10 years. Had to change the battery a couple times, and once or twice the display acted like it was going on the fritz (probably due to the cold temps in the garage), but so far it has been spot on.

Is starrett still the go to? Are all the digitals on the market pretty much the same crap?
    What is everyone using for micrometers?
    I have four sets of iGaging Absolute calipers. Each set up for specific tasks.
    All are dead nuts on to each other.
    Amazon around $40.

Good digital calipers are great. Cheap ones will measure accurately until they don't... A Mitutoyo or Starrett digital will tell you if the battery is getting low. The cheapies may not and the measurements can drift as the battery gets weaker.

AvE has a far better explanation of how these things work and compares a real Mitu vs a fake, which is going to have about the same guts as all the rest of the cheap stuff you will find.

Will it matter in the end? Maybe... Maybe not. I prefer the nicer tool so that I don't have to question my measurements accuracy.

I got a mitutoyo block of certifed demensions, it told me pretty quick which measuring tool was up to snuff. Also used that to learn how to get consistent measurments.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
    Keep in mind, especially with calipers, they can be accurate at some measurements and not at others

I have a set if mitituyo digital calipers. They measure perfect on a .500” gauge block, but when measuring a .243 bullet they show .240.

My mitituyo digital outside micrometer will show .0500” on the block and show .243 (or .2428 .2429, etc depending on the individual bullet).

Make sure you check all your tools at all the common measurements you will me using them. As well as using the correct tool for the king measuring you want to do.

Reactions: Petrov
    I've been using a cheap Harbor Freight set of analog calipers for years... I'm not sure what could go wrong with them to make me need to get something different. If I "zero" them every once in awhile, what can go wrong with a mechanical device like that? Probably a dumb question but I'm trying to figure out if I need to spend a lot more money or not.

I'm an anaolog caliper guy. Most digitals will resolve to 0.0005". By eyeballing, I can resolve to 0.00025" or 0.0003" or so with an analog.

Analogs are less expensive and always work........

get a gauge and take several readings, that should tell you something
    my HF was pretty bloody inconsistent

I'm an anaolog caliper guy. Most digitals will resolve to 0.0005". By eyeballing, I can resolve to 0.00025" or 0.0003" or so with an analog.

Analogs are less expensive and always work........

Thats more resolution than either digital or analog are accurate to (without spending $1k or so) so resolution past accuracy is moot.

Thats more resolution than either digital or analog are accurate to (without spending $1k or so) so resolution past accuracy is moot.
    Except most caliper measurements for reloading are comparisons... sizing fired brass, finding consistent base to ogive, etc. Resolution helps for that...regardless of how close to actual it is. If you need accurate, you should be using mics anyways.

Except most caliper measurements for reloading are comparisons... sizing fired brass, finding consistent base to ogive, etc. Resolution helps for that...regardless of how close to actual it is. If you need accurate, you should be using mics anyways.

Resolution doesn’t help if it’s not repeatable. You can make calipers jump all over the place even at the .001 area very easily.

I agree you should be using a mic and both points lead to resolving lower than .001 is meaningless and basically a sales pitch.

Resolution doesn’t help if it’s not repeatable. You can make calipers jump all over the place even at the .001 area very easily.

I agree you should be using a mic and both points lead to resolving lower than .001 is meaningless and basically a sales pitch.

Even though they’re not mics, I’m still surprised yours show .003 off at .240. (they are authentic...yes?)

As for repeatability, mine will show the same 1/2 ten thou a dozen times in a row. Way more consistent than my fundamentals of marksmanship. :LOL:

If you want some really good info google " Long Island Indicator Service". They repair measuring tools and used to have some for sale. They have a lot of info on their website.

Sorry for necroposting... I am in the market for a micrometer and curious if anyone has experience with the iGauging micrometers. Specifically the IP54 EZ Mic line:

35-054-U01 IP54 Micrometer
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...er-prod123492.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=igaging

35-054-UT1 IP54 Tube Micrometer
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...er-prod123493.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=igaging

I have an iGauging IP54 caliper and it is pretty close to the quality of my Mitutoyo that cost 3x. Has anyone used these mics? Also, is it worth buying a tube micrometer to reload for PRS? I feel like I may use it pretty infrequently. Thank you in advance.

I use hornady dials for all my comparitors.
    My old midway dial was inconsistent.
    Harbor freight digital has been great for miscellaneous measurements.