• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Calipers

tinman52

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2008
Delware
I’m going to buy a digital mituyoto caliper. Is the 6” model enough to use a bullet comparer with or should I go to 12”?

Go to 12" ... I got tired of the shorter calipers hurting my hand. Since I got the 12" ... I haven't taken the 6" calipers out of the drawer. Save a few bucks and get this one ... it's awesome. Or spend more and get the same features.

Go with 8" if you can afford it $180 Mitutoyo. $120 for 6 in is a lot cheaper tho.

Its harder to make caliper measure as good with bigger opening. Hence high price.

As noted above, brand and size/ model are different topics of course.

I’m going to buy a digital mituyoto caliper. Is the 6” model enough to use a bullet comparer with or should I go to 12”?
Unless you’re doing some crazy magnum, 6” should be fine. This pic is my 6” Mitutoyo with Hornady Headspace Comparator and a .308 round.

Attachments

• 07E302FD-88E6-4639-B1B6-591F3FEC0343.jpeg
    07E302FD-88E6-4639-B1B6-591F3FEC0343.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 49
For comfort, standard long action calibers should be a minimum of 8” calipers for the body comparator, I don’t have a magnum long action, so a 12” maybe better idk. 6” works fine for short action but I prefer 8” anymore……I’ve got 8” for everything I have.

Also, I bought most of mine on eBay used……$250-$300 calipers for less than $115. Now you need to know that there are fake mitutoyos out there, do your research on fake vs real mitutoyos.

8” is the happy medium.

Get the iGaging for $30. Actually get two. I did and it's so much easier not having to pull the comparator to measure OAL, etc.

Reactions: John Glidewell
Don't get stuck on the Mitutoyo brand.
Starrett are every bit as good as are Brown & Sharpe.
Might give you an option you didn't know existed.
Stay away from Scamazon....known fakes are all over that site.

Don't get stuck on the Mitutoyo brand.
Starrett are every bit as good as are Brown & Sharpe.
Might give you an option you didn't know existed.
Stay away from Scamazon....known fakes are all over that site.
US made Starrett products are quality tools and have drawers full of them. Their Chicom stuff is crap and wouldn't waste your money on it. Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo are also very well made tools. I have bought several off on eBay many being sold by retiring machinist/diemakers.

Reactions: IHFarmer07
US made Starrett products are quality tools and have drawers full of them. Their Chicom stuff is crap and wouldn't waste your money on it. Brown & Sharpe and Mitutoyo are also very well made tools. I have bought several off on eBay many being sold by retiring machinist/diemakers.
This^^^just make sure they’re not knock offs!!
Most time when they have some sort of number or grind mark to get rid of a number on the jaw or on the back side somewhere, those are genuine because some machinist company or some company that had them.

6” or 8”. Do not mess with 12” unless you need to. Yes it will work, but will be bulkier with no benefit to you.

Use right tool for the job.

Reactions: IHFarmer07
Zoro is a good source of products that are genuine with a chain of custody.

These can be had for around $150 if you shop around.
Mitutoyo 500-752-20, Digimatic Caliper, 0-6", IP67