• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

call it quit's or keep experimenting?

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
I have a SPS tactical in .308 which i have in a AICS.
I used to load 168gr smk, but i changed to the 178gr hornady bthp.

Max load using 175gr smk(since there is no reloading data for the 178gr) using N550 is 45,8gr which is 2631fps according to vihtavouri using a 24'' barrel
I'm currently using 47,4gr and i have tested to 47,7gr with no pressure signs.
I'm using a lyman gen 5 powder dispenser.
I currently get around 2620fps and its very stable with a 20'' barrel in 40*f and 500ft.

I seem to hover around 0,6-0,9moa for a five shot group.
I fired two five shot groups with my 168gr load for reference, and on this day, this group was a 0,6 group.

This load is usually a 0,4moa group.
All groups where fired in 5-10mps wind at 200m.

I have enough powder brass and bullets to load up 1000rds.
I had planned to do that the next week, since I am off from work.

I really want to get a better group than this, but since i have a decent velocity, well over max charge and it seem to have almost the same point of impact as my 168gr load, i am now considering loading up 500rds and train with it.

Is this an ok group?
Its fired from a bipod and i might just be having a bad couple of days at the range.

I wouldn't load up 1k rds until it gets hot. Reason being u found a load at 40* with a temp sensitive powder that is over max. Hate for to have to pull apart all those rds if they are too hot when summer hits. If u plan to shoot them in the next 4 months or so then carry on.

I think it is a fine group, quite frankly. There's not a damn thing wrong with continuing to strive for a better node, but be cognizant of the weather outside. What your loads are doing today, they may not be doing it tomorrow...

Shoot. Remember to have fun.

40*f where i live is summer, hehe.

This summer was the hottest I can remember, and i tested this charge in 68*f which is once every 4 year and it was just fine;)

I live 200 miles above the arctic circle.

JJust saw u are in Norway, don't know ur summertime months. I would watch that load carefully when it starts to warm up.

For me the hornady 178 bthp suck they very too much in weight! I never could get th I m to group. Th3 amx shoot way betternabd the berger otm way better thwn both!

Ted