• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Called in my first coyote!

vvillium3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Stevensville, MI
Hello All,

After getting into shooting three years ago, I've taken an interest in coyote hunting this year. Never been much of a hunter until I started watching some of Skinney's movies here and some predator shows. I can officially say I'm hooked now.

With locals saying coyotes can't be called in here in southwest Michigan, I picked up a foxpro anyway early this year. After several failed attempts this fall, it finally happened today.

Switching from the usual rabbit in distress call, I tried the pup in distress after hearing someone else's success. Hunting 350 yards from a known den in the middle of a farm, all hell broke loose after 1 minute of switching. A couple howls/barks and a doe running out the den area let me know something was coming.

A coyote came trotting my way, behind a hill to my left. I had a clean shot at about 125 yards, but it happened so fast and I was shaking so bad that I pulled the shot. Man what a rush. Sure would have been nice to finally get one but now I'm sucked in. I'm determined to get on before Christmas now.

Thanks for reading,
Jason

Re: Called in my first coyote!

Nice! Nothing like the rush of the 1st one coming in. Stick with it. That rush should never fade, you will just learn to compose yourself better.
How was your set up? Sitting with shooting sticks? Prone?

Jason,

Keep doing it!!!

You WILL put one on the ground.

FoxPro all the way!!!!!

IMG_20121117_074724_483.jpg

Thanks for the kind words DirtyDave. Ill definetely stick with it. Looking back, I could have taken my time and relaxed a bit. Plus I could have had my magnification down to get on target quicker.

The set-up is literally in the middle of a giant plowed corn field. The main drainage ditch of the farm runs into a 200x75 yard woods where we know they den. We layed prone on the ditch bank about 300 yards from the point of the woods covered by taller grass. I had the call about 40 yards towards the woods in some shrubs. My hunting buddy took the right, and I had the left, luckily it came my way.

Bubba, that's why they call it jumpin'....sometimes you do it to them and sometimes they get you!

Keep on 'em and you'll get yours shortly. Somewhere I read, I ain't hit nothin' I didn't burn powder at.

Cheers,
breeze

Congrats! Never forget the adrenalin of the first one. Keep stacking them up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bubba, that's why they call it jumpin'....sometimes you do it to them and sometimes they get you!

Keep on 'em and you'll get yours shortly. Somewhere I read, I ain't hit nothin' I didn't burn powder at.

Cheers,
breeze </div></div>

haha...the "cheers" at the end of that country talk made me laugh

Its alot like loosing your verginity...You get shakey,and shoot too quick... and you cant wait to do it again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello All,

After getting into shooting three years ago, I've taken an interest in coyote hunting this year. Never been much of a hunter until I started watching some of Skinney's movies here and some predator shows. I can officially say I'm hooked now.</div></div>
Jason, that's GREAT brother... we not only do what we do because we love it, and grew up doing it... But if we can "motivate" you to get in the killing field, that's what we are about.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A coyote came trotting my way, behind a hill to my left. I had a clean shot at about 125 yards, but it happened so fast and I was shaking so bad that I pulled the shot. Man what a rush.
Jason </div></div>
This... is whats fun, I've killed alot of dogs, and NOT ONE comes in without my adrenaline pulsin through my veins!!!
once again congrats, and be sure to post us some pics when you get some fur down.

Sorry Maelek, worked too long in the North Sea.

Friggin' arsed scots are a part of me now. I still say "Aye" instead of yes.

I'll be in Pineville helping pop with the La. Marshal's gathering on Thursday. We'll be smoking off some cherry wooded & pork shoulder. It'll be at the Pineville Civic Center on Main Street.

sorry OP, back on track for your regularly scheduled entertainment!

Cheers,
Breeze

Welcome to the addiction!!! There is a reason predator hunting is the fastest growing hunting sport and you have now found out why.

Congrats on the yote and having friends in Michigan I know that is no easy task and definitely something to be proud of. Keep on them!!!

Congrats. Pup in distress is one of my favorite calls. I've used the kitten in distress call with good results when I hunt closer to my barn which usually has a couple mousers in there.

Thank you all for your kind words. Just sitting at work waiting to get back at it tonight in a differnt field. Will post picks when it finally does happen.

Any recommendations on different calls for this time of the year when the snow hasn't fallen yet? We are having an unusual winter again, where it hasn't been below 30 degrees for an extended period of time. It was damn near 60 yesturday.

Thank you again,
Jason

Keep your scope on low power. Sometimes them yotes pop up out of nowhere and you are better off on low power for a quick shot. You can always turn it up for the longer shots, typically you have more time on the longer shots.
Depending on the terrain and cover that you are hunting, give some thought to bringing a shotgun. Really works well with 2 guys, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun. Mod or Full choke with 3" #4 Buckshot.

Even when you make the shot all you want to do is go call in more. Good luck to you.