• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Called in my first hog tonight.

SanPatHogger

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
Used piglet in distress after not getting any coyotes with CatNip. Less than 2 minutes and there was a lone pig coming across the field. It came out of a brush line toward me, I was sitting in next to a brush pile in the field. Thought it was a Bobcat at first the way it was dancing and pausing coming out. Came within about 20 yards of my speaker and weasel ball. I didn't have my big light on and when I picked up the shotgun it took off. Didn't get a shot but finally had success calling hogs.

Reactions: camocorvette
Awesome! My called hog kills are by far the most fun I have hog hunting. I like to keep my caller close and call in the woods, so all of my shots have been 50 yards or less. There’s nothing like seeing one charge in.
Now I need to learn to call whitetail.

I've had as much luck calling hogs as the D and D kid getting a handjob from a cheerleader in high school. At this point I think I'm 0 for 6.

I've seen plenty of videos where it worked, and I've spent several hours researching how Glenn Guess suggests calling...but my initial failures are what finally drove me to get a thermal.

Reactions: vinniedelpino
I got pretty lucky and called in 2 about 15 minutes apart the first time I tried, one that ran right up to my caller.
It’s interesting how different populations of hogs respond differently. Guess seems to prefer calling during the day, and has a lot of success bringing in sow and boar. I’ve only been successful at night, I’ve only brought in boar, and I’ve never gotten them to come into an open area. I use calling sparingly because I’m only hunting one piece of property and it’s relatively small. I need to get out and see if some of the ranchers in my area will allow me to hunt their fields.

I called in another last Saturday night. Buddy and I were surrounded, hogs on our north and south sides on a fence line through some thick brush. Buddy took off south stalking through brush, I stayed on the fence line for a little while. I lost sight of his light and I kept hearing hogs within 100 yards of me. oinking and squealing to each other, sounded like they were feeding.
Put on the piglet in distress and could immediately hear them change. Angry grunts and smashing brush as a big sow busted through and came under the fence at me. Shot her on the move at 8 yards. Bigtime adrenalin rush.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart