• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Calling all Super sniper owners

metalic

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2010
Illinois
I've narrowed it down to the SS 10X42 but don't know if I should go with the rear or side focus. Which do you prefer and why? The gun will mostly be a range toy with the occasional trip to the woods for some hillside coyote fun.

Thanks

Re: Calling all Super sniper owners

Ive got a 16X, love it, can see .308 bullets holes in paper at 400 (if you look hard enough and there is not much mirage). If price is not an option go for side focus. It's not needed though if you want to save $100.

I have the side focus SS 10x on a work rifle. If you don't foresee having to make rapid adjustments from behind the rifle while trying to stay in the scope, the rear focus should suit you just fine. $100 towards ammo is a lot of dead coyotes.

i dont see an option to choose between rear and side focus on SWFA' site... the scopes are what they are. am i missing something?

oh never mind i was only looking at the mil/mil scopes...

I have a few SS from 6x to 16x and all are rear. I can make rapid adjustments shooting by just looking through the ocular and turn untill it is in focus. I use all of my sidefocus models the same way.

I have both types but I prefer the rear focus because I'm left handed and I hate to reach over the scope to adjust it on the other side with my support hand.

There' probably a reason the new generation are rear only
wink.gif

Get the rear focus. Because the side focus sucks.

Come to think of it, side focus sucks on all cheap scopes, and makes them blurry and dark, because you can't make a side focus that works properly and adds value without a significant increase in the cost of producing the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have both types but I prefer the rear focus because I'm left handed and I hate to reach over the scope to adjust it on the other side with my support hand. </div></div>

What he said.

Love rear focus. Being a southpaw it is easy to reach, and also I like the fact that there are no protrusions near the loading/ejection port.

Thanks for all the input

I was leaning toward the rear as I couldn't see the 100 being worth it.

I've got both styles. The side focus is a bit easier to adjust from down on the rifle for this RH shooter, but only a bit. Save the money & invest it in dead coyotes.

I don't have any point of reference. I have one of the old 10x side focus and I like it. It's mil/MOA but it works for hold overs on a hunting rifle.

I have two 20X and both rear focus, hasn't been an issue yet.

I've had a 10x and 20x with the rear focus. Both worked great. I still have the 10x, and if I were to do it again, I'd get the 16x. To me, the rear focus was/is fine.

I like the rear focus as well. I actually have a like new rear focus SS 10X42 in its box collecting dust if anyone is interested. Asking $225

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Metalic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've narrowed it down to the SS 10X42 but don't know if I should go with the rear or side focus. Which do you prefer and why? The gun will mostly be a range toy with the occasional trip to the woods for some hillside coyote fun.
</div></div>

Rear focus is a tougher scope, technically; less moving parts. Original "Super Sniper" was a side focus, however. Besides, with a rear focus it doesn't matter whether you are lefty or righty...

I bought the 16x with the rear focus first and ended up selling it for a 10x with the side focus. I got really tired of using the rear focus prone.