• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Calling Burris XTR3 owners

EscapeVelocity

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Zanesville, Ohio
So I'm trying to decipher how the different XTR3 models stack against each other. I've read a lot of threads on this, but I wanted to get the latest recap. Pro / US made 5-30 / illuminated 5-30 made in the Philippines / and the same with the 3-18 models.
It seems the 5-30 is an optically better design and has generally "better" glass, but how much more?
Also trying to see how the Philippine made scopes compare optically to the older US made versions?

I've been a fan of the NX8 4-32 and have owned a few and compared it to other optics I've had (Mark 5, Cronus, Steiner t5xi) and consider it the best picture to me. Well, not the Razor Gen 3, it was the best. So maybe that's the better question. How does the regular XTR3i 5-30 stack up against a Gen 3 razor, or the NX8 4-32?

I realize this is all subjective and not all copies are created equal. So if you have good first hand comparisons, I'd love to hear it.

I’m surprised there weren’t people lined up to say how great these things are and the best of the best lol

I have no idea how the glass quality compares but I have read numerous accounts where people sent them back to Burris because of bad glass quality. No idea which version but it’s gotta be pretty bad to send a scope back for bad glass. Have also read where people said their import assembled versions had better QC than the USA assembled.

Reactions: EscapeVelocity
I am a Burris XTR series fan - I'll give my two cents.

I have multiple Burris XTR2 5-25x50 SCR reticle (Philippines made) and they serve me well on multiple long range rifles (223, 65CM, 6BRA, 260). They are mechanically very good but the "glass" is merely ok. I do not think I ever missed a target because of the glass quality. I had one XTR2 that the parallax seemed hard to focus - Burris inspected that scope and sent me a new one to replace.

Based on XTR3 feedback here - I bought a new Burris XTR3 5.5-30x56 SCR (US made, not illuminated) from Cameraland on closeout. It is on my primary PRS rifle and is notable upgrade optically from my XTR2s. It is serving me well. So far no issues with the meat grinder knobs but I am retired Army Infantry.

I purchased a new Burris XTR3 3.3-18x50 SCR (US not illuminated) again on sale from Cameraland for PRS22 competition as upgrade from Vortex Venom (that failed to track) after success with the XTR3 on my PRS rifle. I see no significant difference in glass quality from the XTR3 5.5-30 vs XTR3 3.3-18 but I am not a glass expert by any means. Unfortunately, the XTR3 3.3-18 had issues holding zero at its first PRS22 match and is currently at Burris QC. Maybe my RimX is jinxed for scopes.

No experience with the XTR3i scopes from Philippines.

I have 1 3-18 and a friend has another, I have had 3 5-30 US XTR3’s and a friend another, and I have 3 Pro’s.

The 3-18’s loses resolution I would say above 15-16x. Still not terrible but a noticeable drop. The 5-30 xtr3’s that I have had and looked through are a step up in resolution and the pro another step up.

An example of this was at the competition dynamics match in December there were a few targets in the morning shooting toward the Sun with the steel targets tucked into brush that shaded them and targets aren’t painted. I was not able to see the target with my scope but could see the target frame and hangers. I was only able to hit them because I knew about where the target should be. This was with my 3-18 US made. I have had this same situation a few times in practice and the 5-30 was able to resolve into the shadows better.

I have not looked through the newer Philippine versions, I won one at a match but sold it unopened.

I sold my kahles gen 3 6-24 and replaced it with a Pro, while I waited for the pro I bought a xtr3 5-30 and did not feel like I took a step down. I directly compared the kahles to a pro and the pro was an improvement to my eyes and that was with the kahles perfectly adjusted to my eyes and the pro setup for someone else so not sure if it was ideal for me or not.

I have also compared the Burris XTR3 and pro to a vortex gen 2 razor and prefer both Burris’s over the razor. To my eyes the xtr3 was about the same as the razor or maybe slightly less and the pro was a step up. If memory serves me right the razor was a little brighter or more pop to colors but I prefer the slightly muted colors they seem to help with resolution for me.

Hope all this rambling helps.

I would also like to add that my opinion is the only reasons to bump up to the pro over the xtr3 is the tooless rezero, QD elevation turret so you can swap white board to black turret or take the turret off the gun to write dope away from the rifle, and the SCR 2 1/4 reticle.

To me if the xtr3 had the 2 1/4 reticle I probably would have just stuck with the xtr3 instead of going pro’s.

The glass is better but I’m not missing targets because of the difference. I don’t feel I have missed seeing impacts or misses that I would have seen with the pro either. The XTR3, US models atleast have been excellent and from what I have read the newer Philippine models continue on with the excellence.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I’m surprised there weren’t people lined up to say how great these things are and the best of the best lol
Ah, a man who knows how the internet works. I salute you.

Seriously, the amount of people with a mid tier scope on the web who are "blown away by <insert scope here>'s glass" is astounding. Ask any technical questions, and they choke. "It's just amazing glass, you won't find something better. <Brand> really stepped it up with this scope."

Had a nice detailed write-up and then Chrome crashed and lost it :(, tagging to come back later and rewrite it, but the tl;dr is: recently compared a new XTR IIIi 3.3-18 side by side against a new Razor LHT 4.5-22 and my existing Mark 5HD 3.6-18. Returned the Razor, sold my Mk 5, kept the XTR and bought a 5.5-30 to go with it.

Had both American made in scr-2 30x got sold to buy a crib and baby shit. 18x sits on top of one of my ar’s. I love them.
That had to score some major points with the misses.
My wife wanted me to sell some of my gun shit to fund an adoption.
I literally thought about selling my truck first and bumming a ride that work. Lol

Reactions: rothgyr
I have a new illuminated Philippine 3-18 on my .22.

The locking diopter is jankety as shit (can move the entire ocular back and forth when unlocked), and I basically have to pick whether the reticle is focused at max power or at half power.
The reticle (SCR-2, actually a really legit reticle) was pretty clearly just slapped into the 3-18 from the 5-30, as the .2 subtensions are pretty much useless below about 15x.

This is also conveniently when the glass takes a nosedive and darkens quite a bit/loses resolution.
Tracking seems to be alright, and mechanically parallax is decent (stiff as hell), though I almost never adjust beyond 300.

Oh, and they don't include the external windage knob in the box anymore. wtf?

For my intended purpose of shooting prairie dogs and other small 4 legged terrorists with a .22, it's "meh". I'll probably keep it but not buying another.

If I was going to buy again I'd 100% just get a T6xi

I have a new illuminated Philippine 3-18 on my .22.

The locking diopter is jankety as shit (can move the entire ocular back and forth when unlocked), and I basically have to pick whether the reticle is focused at max power or at half power.
The reticle (SCR-2, actually a really legit reticle) was pretty clearly just slapped into the 3-18 from the 5-30, as the .2 subtensions are pretty much useless below about 15x.

This is also conveniently when the glass takes a nosedive and darkens quite a bit/loses resolution.
Tracking seems to be alright, and mechanically parallax is decent (stiff as hell), though I almost never adjust beyond 300.

Oh, and they don't include the external windage knob in the box anymore. wtf?

For my intended purpose of shooting prairie dogs and other small 4 legged terrorists with a .22, it's "meh". I'll probably keep it but not buying another.

If I was going to buy again I'd 100% just get a T6xi
This is the first complaint I've seen about a xtr3. I would definitely reach out to Burris and have them look at it.

I have 2 US made XTR3's, 2 G3's, and an S&B 3-20 Ultra short for my high end stuff now. I had a NX8 4-32 and it couldn't hold a candle to the XTR3's or MK5 once the distance was beyond 3-400 yds. Similarly, the US made XTR3's can't hold a candle to the G3's. The G3's might be better than the S&B in terms of glass, although it's an unfair comparison given the designs, and I haven't done enough back to back to say definitively. G3 is so big and heavy though, it would be out of place on a lighter build. Still love my US XTR3's. Also had a ZCO and then a TT, but dumped them and got another G3 - just a much better value.

That had to score some major points with the misses.
My wife wanted me to sell some of my gun shit to fund an adoption.
I literally thought about selling my truck first and bumming a ride that work. Lol
Sold my entire nrl22 setup before I even got to shoot a match. B14r, xtr3 5-30, mags, ammo, kestrel, arca rail, Hawkins precision rings.

Lol so much poop
Not free though, just try to make poop for free. 😳:oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

About my only complaint is the knurling on my CO XTR3's. That has already been addressed in newer models. I am not surprised they had to cut some stuff and change country of origin to get them down into the price range they are in now. Remember when they hit the market, they cost about the same as the MK5.

So many recommendations for this scope, yet so little feedback from anyone. That's a little sus as the kids say.

There's TONS of positive feedback on this scope spanning several years. The fact that none of us monkeys stepped up to dance when you cranked your music box doesn't negate any of that. 😉

And I can say unequivocally that there have not been "numerous" optics returned for bad glass, or for anything for that matter, as one poster so erroneously claimed. Unless of course "numerous" means a few out of thousands. The return rate on the XTRII and XTRIII has been phenomenally low. And any scope manufacturer on the planet would be glad to have the low incident of breakage or QC return rate that these scopes have. I know the numbers, so believe me when I say anyone trying to say differently is full of it. I've had this conversation more than once with Burris staff and management.

When I toured the Burris facility in April of last year there was one Pro on the shelf. One return in 3 months. With thousands of XTRs in the wild, that's all they had. And I knew the guy who owned that optic. They immediately sent him a new one, tore that one apart, and redesigned the piece that allowed it to happen. No Pro will ever be returned for that issue again.

I currently have a pair of the illuminated versions and a handful of non illuminated. It's the same glass, from the same source, you can't see a difference between the two. They toned down the knurling on the illuminated version, as well as smoothing out the resistance on the magnification ring, turret, and parallax knobs. They pretty much fixed the issues folks had with the non illuminated model.

I agree with the above, the XTRIII doesn't compete in the glass department against the GIII. The Vortex is $2500, the Burris is $1200. The Pro is much closer to the GIII in glass, the main difference between the XTRIII and the Pro being better clarity in the Pro. The Pro has a lot more features, but in the glass department thats it. Good clarity is where the Vortex really shines. I've compared tons of optics to my XTRIIIs over the years. It's a solid competitor against any optic in the $2k price point. IMHO the NX8 is one of the worst performers in that price point. It's not a bad optic, and they've improved the glass since release, but the short depth of field and eyebox drive me nuts. A good hunting optic, but too finicky to compete. I feel like it's over priced for what you get. It should be a $1200 to $1500 scope.

I haven’t experienced an issue with the glass in the 18x. I have an illuminated and non illuminated, and two friends have the non illuminated. They are all solid, great clarity throughout the magnification range. I run an 18x on my PRS rimfire rifle and love it.

Last edited:
I was only half joking about my suspicion with lack of response. But it is nice to know you all came to dance.

That's good to hear about the glass comparison. That's what I was after.

• Love
This is for the visual learners.

CEEF8F5E-EB17-4DF8-BBCA-DD93A77406B3.jpeg

Used the XTR3 5.5-30 non-illuminated until the illuminated version came out. Glass was identical in the samples I compared.

Race Dial is a game changer for PRS. Tracking has been dead nuts. Placed 2nd out of 93 with it Saturday and the scope definitely wasn’t the reason I didn’t win.

Burris glass is equal to the Cronus I still own but I much prefer the Burris reticle and FOV for comps. Burris glass was on par with the Razor Gen 2s I’ve had.

Last edited:
This is for the visual learners.

View attachment 8082791

Used the XTR3 5.5-30 non-illuminated until the illuminated version came out. Glass was identical in the samples I compared.

Race Dial is a game changer for PRS. Tracking has been dead nuts. Placed 2nd out of 93 with it Saturday and the scope definitely wasn’t the reason I didn’t win.

Burris glass is equal to the Cronus I still own but I much prefer the Burris reticle and FOV for comps. Burris glass was on par with the Razor Gen 2s I’ve had.

Nice shooting!!

I had a US Made 3-18. Glass was good on the surface but just didn’t agree with my eyes. Have a Pro now and it is bad ass. To my eyes just as good as my NF ATACR. I’ve had a lot of Burris scopes over the years and the first time I took the Pro out I was like, yes finally this is the scope I’ve been waiting for them to make.

I had a US Made 3-18. Glass was good on the surface but just didn’t agree with my eyes. Have a Pro now and it is bad ass. To my eyes just as good as my NF ATACR. I’ve had a lot of Burris scopes over the years and the first time I took the Pro out I was like, yes finally this is the scope I’ve been waiting for them to make.

That’s why I have 2 Pros now. 😁

That’s why I have 2 Pros now. 😁

Haha... yep.. 🤣

Reactions: Rob01
Just thought I'd let everyone know that Scott at liberty Optic has these on sale for 40% off msrp until the end of the month. No better deal out there.
His pricing is what had me go with the XTRIIIi over the Ares ETR for my new build.

I purchased my XTR3i 5.5-30x56mm w/ an illuminated SCR2 reticle from @gr8fuldoug for $1349. I think that's about the scope's fair price & would not pay a penny more (look for lower prices). The XTR3i is definitely NOT worth the $1749 MSRP.

Glass - pretty good for the price, but certainly not excellent. Field of view is great. Depth of field is pretty good, but not excellent... Eyebox is good - very easy to get behind this scope. Absolutely zero tunneling throughout entire magnification range. Contrast isn't great, even at closer ranges. Past 1,200 yards, greys & shadows, greens & yellows, blues & blacks each blend together entirely. Chromatic aberration is noticeable. In 70 degree weather with the sun directly overhead and some light mirage @ 600 yards, a 2/3 IPSC painted "construction safety yellow" and very green early spring grass surroundings were almost exactly the same color. More on this below.

Using the XTR3i in low light and mirage are where the XTR3i falls terribly short. The XTR3i picks up more mirage than I expected & is NOT a good scope for even moderate mirage conditions. I've practiced with it until dusk once in good weather & had a very hard time identifying splash marks (just the impact marks, not the actual impact or plate swinging) on both raw and yellow-painted 2/3 IPSC at 600yds. During a rainy/overcast NRL Hunter One the image significantly darkened whenever the rain picked up. Even @ 15x I had a very difficult time spotting the target @ 650yds, although I was still able to make the hits. On another heavily overcast day @ 9:00 AM, the 500 yard image was very dim. Even on a bright day in clear weather, the XTR3i would struggle through a well set-up NRL Hunter match that had targets hidden in the shade/shadows.

Reticle - SCR2 is great. It's one of the best Xmas tree reticles available for less than $1500 in this magnification range, although I prefer the MIL-XT and EBR-7D. The 3-hour illumination auto shut-off is a good feature, but a 10-min or 30-min auto shut-off w/ shake-to-wake feature would be nicer (see Holosun). Despite the daytime-bright illumination being 100% functional & very effective, Burris' illumination isn't great. I'd describe it as "grainy".

Turrets - I'm not a fan at all. Clicks are fairly crisp & audible, but somewhat stiff with just a touch of roll (not quite what I'd call mushy). They do get a little better with use. Zero stop is solid & very easy to reset. Scope arrives with a covered/capped windage turret, but it ships with an interchangeable exposed turret as well , if you'd like to dial rather than hold (Burris already stopped shipping them with the exposed turret). I've used it out to 800 yards & it tracks great.

Other - Parallax numbers are close to actual range, but the adjustment is WAY too stiff - this is the worst part of the scope. There is a barley audible "stickiness" when you rotate the magnification ring that I believe is caused by lube, however, this has worn in slightly. Knurling is ridiculously aggressive; the bite of the knurling annoying and distracting. This was a pretty dumb design decision on Burris' part. Also, the knurling machining is surprisingly rough.

It's fair to compare the XTR3i to the Leupold Mark 5 5-25. The XTR3i is easier to get behind, but the XTR3i has much worse turrets. I don't own a Mk5, so I've never used them side by side... contrast is probably better in the Mk5, but from what I remember, not by much. I'd buy the XTR3i over a Mk5 everyday of the week, but that's largely due to price and the Mk5 reticle options. The XTR3i doesn't compare to a Gen3 Razor.

Would I buy it again? Maybe. Despite being serviceable, I moved my XTR3 from a .308 to a .22LR. I need another scope to use on a .223 trainer, but haven't purchased another XTR3 because of how bad the parallax is. It looks like all retailers have increased their XTR3 prices, so they're in the $1,350-1,450 range instead of $1,200. Still, if that's your max budget, definitely consider the XTR3.

UPDATED

Last edited:
Need to look at Liberty Optics for the better price.

And if you are comparing it to scopes 3x the price then yes you will be disappointed but compared to similar prices scopes it does quite well.

Need to look at Liberty Optics for the better price.

And if you are comparing it to scopes 3x the price then yes you will be disappointed but compared to similar prices scopes it does quite well.
I certainly agree.

I believe XTR3 performs well for a scope in the $1000-1400 price range.

ETA: the XTR3 performs well enough that it can fairly be compared it to an NXS, NX8, Mk5, etc., even if it does fall noticeably short of those optics.

Last edited:
I must have looked through a really shitty example of a mk5, or I have a really good example of a xtr3.

I must have looked through a really shitty example of a mk5, or I have a really good example of a xtr3.
Where did you feel the Mk5 was lacking?

I’d say the XTR3 has greatly superior FOV v. a Mk5, but not DOF.

Fit & feel goes to Mk5 & that’s not even close IMO.

I’ve never used a Mk5 in adverse weather or very low light, so I can’t comment there.

The mk5 I looked through lacked in brightness and clarity. In fairness, I didn't spend much time fiddling with it because I instantly knew that it wasn't going to be my next scope.

Reactions: R_A_W